News 2011 IIHS booster ratings out

crunchierthanthou

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr101311.html

It's still subjective, but I like their pictures showing their criteria.

all 5 Harmony Juvenile, and Bubblebum got best bets.

this is interesting:

Small change, big difference: Diono, which recently changed its name from Sunshine Kids, bumped an existing seat, the Monterey, from check fit to BEST BET by changing the shoulder belt guide. The new ranking applies when the dual-use seat is used in highback mode. The booster remains a "check fit" in backless mode. Consumers should look for Montereys manufactured after July 2011 to ensure they are getting the newer version.

Meanwhile, the Evenflo Symphony 65, which has been a GOOD BET since 2009, now has a sister seat, the Symphony 65 e3. It has a slightly different shoulder belt guide, and that makes enough of a difference to make it a BEST BET.

I like to think we had a little something to do with at least the first one. ;) We've been pretty vocal about the Monterey fitting a bit wide. Or maybe they were aiming for the IIHS rating and not appeasing us. :p

any guess as to why the SGL is best bet, but SG is only good bet? Like I said, subjective.

news story here- http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/story/2011-10-13/booster-seats/50747988/1

ADS

Jan06twinmom

Where are the Eddie Bauer/Dorel 3-in-1 seats? I do see the Safety 1st all-in-one and AOE on the not recommended list.

Melanie

tjham

The Dale Earnhart seat and the Pronto are on the Best Bet list! :rolleyes:

The Summit and the Vantage should be on the not recommended list.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I like to think we had a little something to do with at least the first one. ;) We've been pretty vocal about the Monterey fitting a bit wide. Or maybe they were aiming for the IIHS rating and not appeasing us. :p

I still maintain Kecia deserves royalty checks for some of the improvements Harmony made a couple years ago!

any guess as to why the SGL is best bet, but SG is only good bet? Like I said, subjective.

Apparently, slight differences in features, padding/soft goods and even instructions can make a difference between similar models or even identical ones that vary only by fashions.

luckyclov

The "arm rests" are slightly different. The SGL's arm rests are a tad higher...that may make a difference in lap belt positioning on some kids.

Actually, my kid is one of them. Almost 9 years old, 52" and 68 lbs. He has a good lap belt fit on the PWSG, but it's a better lap belt fit on the PWSGL.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The "arm rests" are slightly different. The SGL's arm rests are a tad higher...that may make a difference in lap belt positioning on some kids.

Yup!

http://carseatblog.com/8193/britax-parkway-sgl-booster-a-photo-review/

;-)

By the way, if you like our Blog, please "Like" it for Facebook, Tweet it or Google +1 it for us! We'd really like to make sure that commentary with correct information gets out there with all the major news agency coverage.

CarseatBlog Coverage of the 2011 IIHS Booster Evaluations

bnsnyde

The Pronto I have sitting in my garage and want to return if I can leave the house?

The darned thing doesn't work for the lady I bought it for!
I would NEVER buy one that needs head support again.

Even if I put it outboard for her, it might get moved to the middle.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Right, I understand that the Pronto doesn't work for everyone in every situation. It's not my favoritest booster either.

But the IIHS tests were designed to assess belt fit on the 6yo dummy, and I can very easily believe that the Pronto fit the dummy well and therefore fairly earned its rating.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

Pretty objective, but very limited in scope. The subjectivity comes in as to what size occupant to use and the human element of installing and using the booster according to instructions. Unlike a crash test, were it is more purely numbers, there is definitely more of a human factor in a fit assessment.

The same can be said of their rear crash ratings for vehicles. That does not diminish the test results, as long as people are aware of how to apply the results to their situation.

Incidentally, here is a list of the boosters evaluated:

2011 IIHS BOOSTER EVALUATION RESULTS

Best Bets
Britax Frontier 85
Britax Frontier 85 SICT
Britax Parkway SGL (highback mode)
BubbleBum
Chicco KeyFit Strada (highback mode)
Clek Oobr (highback mode)
Cosco Pronto (highback mode)
Cybex Solution X-Fix
Diono/Sunshine Kids Monterey (highback mode)
Eddie Bauer Auto Booster (highback mode)
Evenflo Big Kid Amp
Evenflo Big Kid Sport (backless mode)
Evenflo Maestro
Evenflo Symphony 65 e3
Ferrari Dreamway SP (highback mode)
Graco Argos 70 (highback mode)
Graco TurboBooster – Baldwin (highback mode)
Graco TurboBooster Elite (highback mode)
Harmony Cruz Youth Booster/Harmony Carpooler
Harmony Dreamtime (backless mode)
Harmony Dreamtime (highback mode)
Harmony Olympian/Secure Comfort Deluxe
Harmony Youth Booster Seat
Kids Embrace Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Maxi-Cosi Rodi XR (highback mode)
Recaro ProBOOSTER
Recaro ProSPORT
Recaro Vivo
Safety 1st Boost Air Protect (highback mode)
Safety 1st S1 Rümi Air
The First Years B570 Pathway

Good Bets
Britax Parkway SG (highback mode)
Combi Kobuk Air Thru (backless mode)
Combi Kobuk Air Thru (highback mode)
Evenflo Symphony 65
Maxi-Cosi Rodi (highback mode)

Check Fit
Britax Parkway SG (backless mode)
Britax Parkway SGL (backless mode)
Chicco KeyFit Strada (backless mode)
Clek Olli
Clek Oobr (backless mode)
Clek Ozzi
Cosco Ambassador
Cosco Highback Booster
Cosco Pronto (backless mode)
Diono/Sunshine Kids Monterey (backless mode)
Diono/Sunshine Kids Santa Fe
Eddie Bauer Auto Booster (backless mode)
Evenflo Big Kid LX (backless mode)
Evenflo Big Kid LX (highback mode)
Evenflo Big Kid No Back Booster
Evenflo Big Kid Sport (highback mode)
Ferrari Ola
Ferrari Dreamway SP (backless mode)
Graco Argos 70 (backless mode)
Graco Backless TurboBooster – Aspen
Graco Backless TurboBooster – Baker
Graco Backless TurboBooster – Love Hearts
Graco Nautilus – Matrix (backless mode)
Graco Nautilus – Matrix (highback mode)
Graco Nautilus Elite (backless mode)
Graco Nautilus Elite (highback mode)
Graco Smart Seat
Graco TurboBooster – Baldwin (backless mode)
Graco TurboBooster Elite (backless mode)
Maxi-Cosi Rodi (backless mode)
Maxi-Cosi Rodi XR (backless mode)
Safety 1st Boost Air Protect (backless mode)
Safety 1st Go Hybrid
Safety 1st Summit
Safety 1st Vantage
Safety 1st Ventura
The First Years Compass B505
The First Years Compass B530
The First Years Compass B540
Volvo Booster (backless mode)
Volvo Booster (highback mode)

NOT RECOMMENDED
Evenflo Chase
Evenflo Express
Evenflo Generations 65
Evenflo Sightseer
Safety 1st All-in-One
Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite

christineka

Anyone know what changed between the nautilus and the argos? The nautilus was a bad fit on my kids as booster and is in the "check fit" category, but the argos is in the "best bet" category. Something has to be different.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I have an Argos 70 on hand, but not a Nautilus. The head restraint section was certainly modified for front adjust. I don't know offhand if other geometries changed.

tam_shops

Why is the Britax SG and SGL in different categories? I thought the only difference was latch vs no latch. Does Latch have a crash difference? Or did I miss something else?

tam

Pixels

Pretty objective, but very limited in scope. The subjectivity comes in as to what size occupant to use and the human element of installing and using the booster according to instructions. Unlike a crash test, were it is more purely numbers, there is definitely more of a human factor in a fit assessment.

What size occupant to use: The standardized 6yo ATD. No subjectivity there.
Crash tests are subjected to at least as much human element. The seats must still be installed and used according to instructions. In fact, there is probably more "human element" in harnessed seats where the seat is installed in the vehicle and then the child is installed in the seat. Yes, the output is numerical, as it is with the booster evaluation. They are measuring how far the booster places the belt from a certain point on the dummy. Then the IIHS is converting those numbers back into terms the average person can easily understand.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC