Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

3rd row 2002 suburban 3 across

i need to get three across in the 3rd row. we have guardianship of a relative's baby for awhile and need to get 5 seats in our suburban (for at least a couple months it looks like).

the seats i have are:

radian xtsl
    myride
    myride
    como
    prosport
    young sport
    avenue
    snugride 30

my oldest (tall skinny 6 year old) only fits in the prosport. the middle three (5 years ~ 40lbs dressed, 2.5 year old twins ~ 30lbs dressed) can fit in the myrides and como. the twins can fit in any of the seats ff (except the snugride of course) and the myrides and radian rf.

right now we have the seats as they are in my sig pic, plus the baby in the snugride without the base in the flip up middle row seat. it is not working. the seat doesn't flip very well and the seatbelt doesn't retract very well. plus i can't get to the third row at all to help the kids back there if they need it (and they do).

the outboard seats in the third row have tether anchors OR the middle seat, but not all 3. all 3 seats in the middle row have tether anchors.

i'm going out to try this afternoon and here's what i'm thinking:

driver passenger
    rf myride rf myride
    prosport snugride30 ffxtsl

that is IF the prosport, snugride, and xtsl fit 3 across there AND i can pass the snugride past the xtsl.

if that doesn't work all i can come up with is this (i'm pretty sure these would all fit):

driver passenger
    prosport snugride30
    ffmyride ffxtsl ffmyride

that would leave the xtsl untethered and have the two year olds ff in the third row. :-/

any other suggestions? i would be willing to buy another seat if it would make a big difference.
    Last edited by aja; 10-13-2011 at 11:47 AM.
    Jet 6/05 Marvel 8/06
    Cash 2/09 Fox 2/09
    Ada due very soon!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: 3rd row 2002 suburban 3 across

I do not believe that you can get a Radian in the 3rd row at all... I am certain that it has been shown here to be incompatible. Sorry nobody else has answered...

4. Thank You from:

aja

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by jourdysmom View Post
    I do not believe that you can get a Radian in the 3rd row at all... I am certain that it has been shown here to be incompatible. Sorry nobody else has answered...
    i saw that mentioned on the three across thread. i'm sure we've had ours installed third row before. i don't even remember it being a particularly difficult install.
    Jet 6/05 Marvel 8/06
    Cash 2/09 Fox 2/09
    Ada due very soon!

CPST Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by jourdysmom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aja View Post
    i saw that mentioned on the three across thread. i'm sure we've had ours installed third row before. i don't even remember it being a particularly difficult install.
    the radian is incompatable with the suburban 3rd row after the '98 body style change (I believe that was the year)

It looks and feels like it works (no side to side movement) but it you grab the front of the radian, it slip about a foot forward, then is very loose.

you CAN get a RF radian install in the third row, if you do it on the passenger side and can keep the fold up seat folded.

I would try to get 2 or all 3 of your RF in the third row if you can, and load over the back seat. I am thinking you can get the SR30 in the middle and the XTSL on the passenger side and maybe you can still fit something else on the drivers side (ave, maybe?) any chance you could get your hands on a classic RA? that fits great back there and you could get the RF radian and something else low profile on the outsides of it?
    Jess, CPST and mom to 6 girls
    W(7/28) is rocking an Aton, S(3) rides in a Nextfit or RXT, O(6) has a Frontier 90, the big girls (9, 11) have Monterey Boosters and incognitos, and the oldest is 15, wears a seat belt and is driving!

7. Thank You from:

aja

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by J-max View Post
    the radian is incompatable with the suburban 3rd row after the '98 body style change (I believe that was the year)

It looks and feels like it works (no side to side movement) but it you grab the front of the radian, it slip about a foot forward, then is very loose.

you CAN get a RF radian install in the third row, if you do it on the passenger side and can keep the fold up seat folded.

I would try to get 2 or all 3 of your RF in the third row if you can, and load over the back seat. I am thinking you can get the SR30 in the middle and the XTSL on the passenger side and maybe you can still fit something else on the drivers side (ave, maybe?) any chance you could get your hands on a classic RA? that fits great back there and you could get the RF radian and something else low profile on the outsides of it?
    i'm going to have to try a 3rd row radian install again now because that just isn't making sense in my mind. we had a radian installed back there for over a year - and reinstalled it several times. i can't believe i could just not notice that.

i am not able to load rf kids into the third row in this car. i could easily with our odyssey and decently with our montana van, but with how large the cargo area is, plus the strollers back there, plus my size and fitness level it just isn't happening.

eta: is the issue that makes the radian move forward so much because the bottom part of the seat is not stationary? like is the seat cushion removable from the bench or something? i'm trying to imagine why that would happen.
    Last edited by aja; 10-19-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: clarify radian issue
    Jet 6/05 Marvel 8/06
    Cash 2/09 Fox 2/09
    Ada due very soon!

Carseat Crazy

i'm going to try myride/como/myride in the third row then. they puzzle really well together rf so i'm hoping they will ff. i can't think of any other solution if i can't use a radian back there.
    Jet 6/05 Marvel 8/06
    Cash 2/09 Fox 2/09
    Ada due very soon!

Senior Community Member
    The issue with the RN and the suburban 3rd row seems to be because the seatbelts are forward of the seat bight. I've tried it myself in my 05' Yukon xl. It seems perfect until you pull forward on the bottom of the RN, then it slides way forward and becomes super loose. If no one ever pulled on it, it might seem tight for a long time. Good luck, that 3rd row is pretty tricky for such a large vehicle.
    Jill- Mom to my 5 crazy kiddos!
    DS1-14yrs, 6'2", 170 lbs, SB/DD-12yrs, 5'5", 115 lbs, SB/DS2-8yrs, 52", 60 lbs, Flames Harmony Literider/
    DS3-6yrs, 46", 52 lbs, Red Vivo/DS4-4yrs, 43", 45 lbs, Cowmooflage Frontier85

11. Thank You from: