Cybex X-Fix vs. ?

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Does anyone have one that can do a comparison for me?

DD2 is 8.5, outboard 3rd row of my Town&Country. Have a Monterey, but the shoulder belt guide screws up the seat belt, gets it all bunchy and horrible to pull thru the guide. The contour of the van roof won't allow the back to be raised any higher, and it is so wide at the shoulders DD1 is squished next to her. We tried backless, but she leans over toward the window, (have side airbag there so no good) and with the booster pushed over to make a 3 across work, her head is only about 2/3 to 3/4 on the headrest... One false move and he head would be between the headrest and glass/airbag. (This is only arrangement I can do, as I need DD4 and DS in the 2nd row for school.

Had an Evenflo BigKid, but is expired/expiring by December, so that is gone...BUT it fit GREAT there!

She still fit with one harness slot above the proper one to move up to (which was possible in that position, unlike the Monterey). The XFix looks to be about the same top shoulder height.

Can anyone compare the X-Fix with a Monterey, and a HB Big Kid or HB Turbo?

Any other suggestions? The hip area is no issue, it is the shoulder area that is a problem for DD1 next to her...

Last edited:
ADS

melniemi

Can you just get another big kid? Or maybe a vivo would be narrower? I know nothing about the x fix other than that it needs to buckled at all times, even if latched in.

Kat_Momof3

recaro vivo... only booster that goes taller than the turbo (only one shorter than the vivo that fit was the discontinued Fisher Price Safe Voyage Booster) and fits to full height with no tipping is RECARO VIVO

after that, well, backless is inevitable.

the x-fix is about the same as the turbo/big kid in height... maybe a little less, depends on fit once installed.

the vivo is taller... about 21" top height (if you install it in the middle recline setting (not fully upright or max recline)and the shoulder can get really close to that guide before you run out of space.... it's only 1" shorter than the monterey.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Hmmmm... maybe I will go buy a big lots vivo, try it and return it (all 2007 dom here for $65) then buy online...

Sent from my DROIDX using Car-Seat.Org

henrietta

I can give you measurements on the x-fix...give me a minute..

Okay

Back support: 19-19.5" wide
Head rest: 17.5-18" wide
Arm rests: 18.5-19" wide

The way the backrest works, the top shoulder belt guide position is actually right at 20" (it has a bunch of positions, all the way down to 13"!)

The back rest moves up w/the head rest, b/c the back rest has the shoulder belt guides on it. It's a different sort of shoulder belt guide-not a separate but attached plastic piece. It's molded into the plastic of the backrest and is open at the top to put the belt through. It's not always the easiest to use- you'll think it's in the actual guide, but since you can't SEE the guide from the front of the seat, you don't really know for sure. You have to look around the side of it. It's not like the Turbo or Big Kid at all in that regard.

Buckling it in wouldn't be a huge deal for me, but it can be a pain if you have really short buckle stalks. It's wide at the bottom and a bit awkward.

But my son loves it and says it's really comfortable.

hths

henrietta

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC