car seats in a uh-60 black hawk helicopter

swags

I thought this was an interesting photo. It is a family being rescued from flood waters by a Texas National Guard uh-60 black hawk helicopter. It appears that the three youngest children are all in car seats.

(Photo by Chief Warrant Officer Rob Gale)

ADS

Ali

That's great that they were in seats! If I were in a rescue situation, I can honestly say I'm not sure my brain would think to grab the carseat!

soygurl

Of course there are some serious problems with the car seat usage, but really I'm amazed that they're using car seats at all in that situation!

Still... it drives me nuts that the tiny baby is FF. Not to mention the lose straps and low chest clip on the older child... and is that an overhead shild I see? :eek:

lovinwaves

Of course there are some serious problems with the car seat usage, but really I'm amazed that they're using car seats at all in that situation!

Still... it drives me nuts that the tiny baby is FF. Not to mention the lose straps and low chest clip on the older child... and is that an overhead shild I see? :eek:

Wow, we don't cut anyone slack, even when they are being rescued from raging water :confused:

Because of the seats on the aircraft there might have been no way to secure them so they had to place them forward facing and just hold on. The middle appears to be an Infant bucket forward facing at a series angle. It looks like the mom is holding onto it, or trying to figure out a way to keep it in the aircraft seat safely... Wish we had a story to go along with the photo.

Pawy

Wow the kids would love it... I find it strange the the hawk had clips for them to attach too...

Pawy

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I have a number of pics of the inside of a black hawk, and they appear to have 5 point harnesses in some positions.

My dh remembers the pilot having a 5 point, and the gunner (LOL) having a 5 pt vest type thing attached to the copter via a cable.

I would not have remembered my seats. I think its awesome that they atleast did that.

soygurl

Wow, we don't cut anyone slack, even when they are being rescued from raging water :confused:

I wasn't trying to be harsh! Just expressing how ingrained certian parts of CPS are in me... :eek: Like I said... I'm in awe that anyone would remember car seats in an emergency like that!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Maybe they were rescued from a car during the flooding and thus had the seats handier and already in use in the car? It would be interesting to know more details. Thanks for sharing the picture.

didymama

i'm impressed that the baby actually looks buckled to the seat and hot jut holding the bucket! at least the mom is RIGHT in front.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
WOW!

That is definitely not something you see everyday (thank goodness, since it is a rescue situation! :)).

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
My DH says those seats in the back have a 5 point harness, as well. He doesn't think there would be a good way to use it to secure a CR.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'm impressed that they got the dog too. :)

Me too! I must say, even as safety-conscious (aka anal lol) as I am, I don't think I would have thought to grab carseats for my air evacuation. Unless of course I was being rescued from a car, but I still think I would snatch the babies out of their seats instead of trying to uninstall them and get them into a helicopter. I say :thumbsup: to that mom! Of course, I hope she uses the restraints differently when in a car :cool:

swags

Here is the quote that is under the photo, I tried to find more info on the story but was unable to.

A family from Smithwick, Texas, settles in for a ride in a Texas Army National Guard UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter, June 27. They and others are being rescued from rising floodwaters. (Photo by Chief Warrant Officer Rob Gale)

the web site it is from is

www.us.army.mil

Cathyliz

Senior Community Member
Actually, I could see grabbing the carseat and all. Think about it--if you've got 2+ kids in carseats that you need to keep safe in a very unsafe circumstance, the easiest way to do that is to pull the whole carseat out instead of pulling them out and trying to keep them from moving around. If you need to put a child down, the whole carseat sits there with them strapped in it. They're not moble! Much safer than trying to keep track of a bunch of kiddos (plus the dog!) running around. As a child care provider I sometimes have an infant that rides in an infant carrier. The only reason I take the carrier out of the car is because I have toddlers/preschoolers that I may need to attend to and the carrier is easy to sit down so I can do that. Otherwise I'd just carry those babies! Jmho :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC