Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    CPS Technician

IEP wording re: transport?

I've heard references to people having transportation written into their IEPs. Would anyone care to share the wording?

I'm particularly interested in younger children withOUT physical special needs who will be bussed to special programs. I'd like to be able to advise parents to get in writing that their child's bus must have an appropriate CR appropriately installed, but I'm not sure of the wording.

Thanks!
    Kathleen, CPST and mom to a pair of Cs.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: IEP wording re: transport?

My 5yo DD who is in Kindergarten has an IEP. She does not ride the bus daily, but will for field trips. Her IEP has a statement at the end that says something like "Child will ride in a harness provided by the district on the bus for field trips." I don't know the exact wording, sorry. I have a copy of the IEP... somewhere. If I find it I'll update.

You mentioned non-physical special needs. She has epilepsy, and requires a harness because she falls limp when she has a seizure and would fall off the bus seat.
    Jenny
    CPST and mommy to
    Jessica 6.18.06 and Tyler 8.5.08
    Both riding in Frontier 85s

4. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member

Out of the eight students in harnesses on our special needs bus only one has a physical need for a harness. The others are behavioral or simply cognitive reasons. So it can definitely be done.
    Mama to Madison 1/12 Johnathon 11/14

6. Thank You from:

CPS Technician

Excellent, thank you. I was thinking particularly of children on the autism spectrum who are physically very 'normal' but potentially could not focus enough on the bus / deal with the bus driver as an authority to be left out of a harness. It seems like it's better to get safe transport wording into the IEP and then work on taking it out if a kid adjusts enough to ride the bus safely than leave it out of an IEP and hope it all works out.
    Kathleen, CPST and mom to a pair of Cs.

Yes, definitely better to include it in the IEP.
    Jenny
    CPST and mommy to
    Jessica 6.18.06 and Tyler 8.5.08
    Both riding in Frontier 85s

Carseat Crazy

My son's is in the accommodations/special considerations portion of his IEP.

Transportation: Special Transportation
    Modifications Required: Safety attendant aids child enter/exit bus safely, secures seating device, etc. Special seating device.
    DS1 10/06 - Recaro Vivo
    DS2 10/07 - Frontier 85
    DD Twinkies 11/11 - CCO & Headwise70

10. Thank You from:

This is for my tiny 4 year old (my student)

"T**** will ride in a convertible car seat installed in the rear facing position. This seat will be provided by the district and will be used rear facing until he outgrows the rear facing limits of the seat at which time he will ride forward facing until he outgrows the limits of the seat or the seat expires...whichever comes first."
    Beth CPST and special needs trained Mom to Bailey ...26 yrs Skylar- 21 yrs Molly-18 yrs -and Avery -14yrs - 100+ pounds 5 stepping!

12. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by bethng View Post
    This is for my tiny 4 year old (my student)

"T**** will ride in a convertible car seat installed in the rear facing position. This seat will be provided by the district and will be used rear facing until he outgrows the rear facing limits of the seat at which time he will ride forward facing until he outgrows the limits of the seat or the seat expires...whichever comes first."
    So does that mean if right now Dec 31st it expires... they don't have to provide a new restraint? that scares me that they have a loophole there...

My boys have IEP's that say something like:

"Child will be restrained in correctly installed and used parent provided carseat or correctly installed and used 5 point harness or vest system provided by district."
    Mom to a Crew! Boys 10, 6, 4 and 2 and Girls 9 and 2!
    Don't ask me if I'm having more, I may be tempted to say yes!

Quote Originally Posted by jourdysmom View Post
    So does that mean if right now Dec 31st it expires... they don't have to provide a new restraint? that scares me that they have a loophole there...
    no. This wont happen. the seats have 4+ more years on them. They were bought new just for him. He wont need to rear face longer then that and then he will just go into a Star seat or a FF 5pt seat. IF the seats were to expire and they tried to get away with not buying new ones for him, I am in charge of his IEP...what I put in it must be provided. I would just amend his IEP to say that he must continue to rear face in a non expired seat. They cant say no if I have it in his IEP. But the transportation dept has been good about accommodating my requests. When I went there to show them the IEP and tell them that they needed to buy him 2 seats (one for the to school bus and one for home bus) they just asked what kind he needed and what I suggested they buy.
    Beth CPST and special needs trained Mom to Bailey ...26 yrs Skylar- 21 yrs Molly-18 yrs -and Avery -14yrs - 100+ pounds 5 stepping!