Amsterdam, Copenhagen & Norway restraints?

Northriver

Cruising next summer from Amsterdam to UK & Norway, then to Copenhagen. No idea yet when or where we'd need a child restraint. I do know we'll be doing a lot of walking with our luggage in tow, likely a mile or more on several occasions. We normally travel with a Radian, but I am thinking about taking only our RSTV.

Can anyone tell me anthing about child restraint laws in these cities? Would we be ok with just the RSTV?

My daughter will turn 7 during the trip. Not sure her current stats, but is tall and thin and may outgrow the Radian before then, in any case. Love flying with the Radian but walking for miles with it on my back is another matter entirely!

ADS

Northriver

My friend Google is telling me that taxis and hire cars are exempt from child restraint laws. So if my child is legally exempt from the child restraint laws, then is it too big of a stretch of logic that it would be ok to use the RSTV even if it doesn't meet European child restraint standards since legally she doesn't need any restraint at all?

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I can't speak to local laws, but it might be a bit excessive to travel with such a large/heavy seat when your child could easily be using a booster seat..? My daughter is 6.5 and we just spent a couple of weeks in Europe (Italy) with her just using a BoostAPak. It was wonderful. The Bubblebum might be another good alternative for you. Both are suitable, legal, alternatives to the RSTV without the concerns over compatibility on the fly.

-N.

Adventuredad

Using a non-EU seat in EU is not allowed. Doesn't matter if it's for a day as a visitor or for a year as resident. I personally always think it's great when parents bring their own seat on trips. It means that someone cares and is thinking ahead.

I would bring a booster cushion instead since your daughter is 7. It sounds like you will be making mostly short trips and safety difference compared to a FF harnessed seat or a high back booster would then basically be zero.

If you plan on doing longer drives where your daughter will sleep I would bring a light weight high back booster. This is just as safe as a harnessed seat but far lighter and easier to use.

There will be taxis in Norway and Copenhagen which supply car seats for free but they are not easy to find. We're trying to convince them of following our approach here but it's progressing slowly. Here in Stockholm 70% of taxis have a rear facing seat. All taxis have at least one booster seat, normally two. Everything supplied free of charge;-)

Where in Norway will you be traveling If I may ask?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC