Here's one for ya... how do I approach this?!?!

waterbaby

This is an old picture from someone's personal blog (July '06, I think) but the baby in the picture now has a baby sister, and I can only imagine... :eek:

http://babykhong.files.wordpress.com/2006/07/dsc01836.JPG

The baby in this picture is 7 months old. :thumbsdown: They are not living in the US, so I'm sure some guidelines are a bit different, but this is just NOT RIGHT on any level - or am I just a nut? In the comments on the blog, several people suggested the seat looked awful big, and they defended their decision saying the seat was recommended for 9month-12 years!!! And that they could probably get a smaller, better fitting one, but hubby doesn't want to spend the money, so that's how it is.

ETA: Just saw a recent post and they are STILL using that same seat for the little boy... probably 18-19 months now.

TIA!!!

Last edited:
ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That seat IS recommended for that age (not in THIS country, thank goodness), it's a Recaro Start...the problem is that they NEED to get that shoulderbelt on the kid's shoulder...like the big pictures on the side of the seat show.... :(

waterbaby

I trust it's recommended... but I just can't believe it. And 9 months FF? (Even though he's only 7 months in the pic). Just shocking.

mimieliza

I'm sorry, I would probably get mean about it. Not the most helpful approach, I know.

Do they not think? :mad: Ask them to just picture what would happen to that poor baby in an accident. YouTube clip of the BPB crash tests, perhaps?

I don't think at 18-19 months they would turn him RF, but at least getting him in a five-point harness would be a massive improvement. Heck, getting the seat belt positioned correctly would be an improvement, but they probably have it like that because it goes across his neck or face otherwise (because he's too freaking small for that seat!).

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
OMG.

I'm sorry to say this, but that is just stupid. Even if it is allowed in other countries, it is stupid. That baby can barely sit up in that seat!

Connor's Mom

GOOD LORD! :jaw:

What, do they have a death wish for their kiddos?
He can't even sit up properly in the seat. He is ganna flip over forward and land in the front (or out the front window) of slip under the belt and hit that hard tray thing they have on the seat back. How can they possibly think that is anywhere near safe? I do not see that he would have a snowballs chance in he!! of surviving an accident.
I agree, I would probably get ugly about it sending them every possible shocking car seat video I could get my hands on trying to scare some sense into these people. Are these people friends of yours or just a blog you came across?

waterbaby

I had done a google search and this pic from their blog came up... they had just replaced their perfectly good 5-point harness bucket seat (thought the straps were so insanely loose, I imagine that's what his 5-month old sister is riding in) with this seat.
I've tried to search for Malaysian car seat guidelines and requirements, but I'm not finding much.
Also, anyone have YouTube videos on hand. I have Kyle's and some random crash test stuff, but if there's more, I have enough wits about me to send a friendly email to these people.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC