Short grannies and boosters

bnsnyde

What would you do if it were your grandma?

I'm driving down the road and I see a very short person in the back seat of a car. No carseat. My 3-year-old actually says, "Mom, she's not in a carseat! But she's old."

Yep. An elderly grandma from India who clearly could not fit in a seatbelt. Her head wasn't even at the car headrest! She had no belt at all on, for the record, and a sheet was covering access to all the belts in the back.

So if an adult does not fit in a belt AT ALL, what do you think? What would you do if you love grandma and want her to be safe? :)

I don't know her weight, of course. But she was so tiny.

ADS

Kat_Momof3

I'd use a booster for her... if she fits...

1. she'd be more comfy

2. seatbelt would fit better

3. the false hips - same reason we want them for kids... bones just aren't as strong... older people lose bone mass. I always wonder if some older people break hips in car crashes... I know we rarely see specifics on injuries, so I know not something we can say for sure, but anyone have thoughts on the probabilities here?

christineka

If it were my grannie, I'd let her do as she wants. When I'm a grannie, I just might go get myself a booster seat. Hopefully is super comfy.

jeminijad

If we were talking about someone who was senile or losing their faculties, I might put them in a backless.

But unless we are talking about a very openminded elderly person- or an incredibly close, honest relationship- I can't see suggesting a booster seat.

Her generation didn't use seats at all, and folks today take kids out of boosters before they are ready... I just don't see the conversation going well.

Stelvis

I'd let Grandma do what she wants, provided she's strapped in so she doesn't become a projectile for anyone else in the car. Maybe I'd explain the risks, but Grandma's an adult and she gets to make her own decisions, as long as she's not endangering anyone else.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would explain the advantages of a booster and offer to take her shopping and buy whatever she liked. I would not require an adult to ride in a booster if s/he did not want to. I would require seatbelt use.

(This is not entirely hypothetical -- my daughter's grandmother is 4'7" and shrinking.)

Brianna

I had to fight my grandma tooth and nail to get her to wear a seat belt in the back seat because it's not required by law. No way would I ever get her to sit in a booster if one were necessary for her.

If grandma weren't in a state of mind to make any decisions, then I would put her in a booster.

bnsnyde

She was breaking the law by not wearing a belt in the back in Illinois.
Now, it wasn't my grandma, just someone I was driving next to at a stoplight. But it made me think... And her son (driving) had his belt on.

Maybe someday if I shrink I can use a carseat. But I'd have to shrink a LOT. And lose 10 lbs. Unless some new seats come out...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC