New Travel Seat Recs

BananaBoat

Our beloved Avenue got trashed in the flood, so I'm in the market for a new travel seat for DD1. I can get another Avenue, but thought I'd ask around for other ideas. We won't *need* the seat until Feb or March, so I have some time.

Stats:
Convertible - DD1 is still RF & we'll eventually need it for DD2 once the KF30 is outgrown
DD1 is: 38" tall, ~14" torso, 32 lbs

So, what should I get?

When we travel, it's usually international - Caribbean, Europe etc. - so no guarantees about LATCH, tethers or locking belts. I can work a locking clip, so I can do that if necessary. And as much as I'd love a Foonf, I'm not waiting around to spend that on a travel seat :eek:

ADS

BananaBoat

Oh, okay. Then why not just get an extra strap for her Radian and use that for travel? I haven't done it, but I've heard it's a good travel seat, allows the use of the tray table on the plane, etc.

There are 2 main reasons I don't intend to travel with the XTSL:
  1. it weighs like 30 lbs & I'm a weakling :eek:
  2. it has too many installation issues for me to be confident in getting it into whatever car we end up with on trips. It takes up so much room RF that I suspect it won't fit RF in many small European cars.

InternationalMama

There are 2 main reasons I don't intend to travel with the XTSL:
  1. it weighs like 30 lbs & I'm a weakling :eek:
  2. it has too many installation issues for me to be confident in getting it into whatever car we end up with on trips. It takes up so much room RF that I suspect it won't fit RF in many small European cars.

I totally see what you mean. :) But FWIW in small cars we often just move the passenger-side front seat up and put passengers in the back.

I'm really not sure there is a better RF option at her size than another Avenue. That's what I plan to take on our upcoming Europe trip. If you decide to go for something FF the Maestro is super light and I think it would make a really good FF travel seat.

babyherder

Maybe a 40lb rf scenera? But if you loved the avenue and you'll be passing it down anyway you could get another one and use it for years.

InternationalMama

What about the Complete Air as a travel seat? It's kind of a pricey travel seat, but it's really like a fancy Avenue and will give you more room RF in height and weight. (FWIW, I think the Avenue stated height limit is 36 inches!)

BananaBoat

What about the Complete Air as a travel seat? It's kind of a pricey travel seat, but it's really like a fancy Avenue and will give you more room RF in height and weight. (FWIW, I think the Avenue stated height limit is 36 inches!)

:eek: I'm a bad, bad Mommy who has been conveniently ignoring the stated height limit & the "line level with ground" on the Ave.
I think the CA is a little big for our needs in a travel seat, but wonder if the OnSide Air would be a good option? I like that it RF to 40 lbs - anyone know how the shell height compares to the Avenue?

Another seat I was thinking about is the RA, but not sure which version...do any of them have lock-offs?

InternationalMama

:eek: I'm a bad, bad Mommy who has been conveniently ignoring the stated height limit & the "line level with ground" on the Ave.
I think the CA is a little big for our needs in a travel seat, but wonder if the OnSide Air would be a good option? I like that it RF to 40 lbs - anyone know how the shell height compares to the Avenue?

Another seat I was thinking about is the RA, but not sure which version...do any of them have lock-offs?

Well, I just thought if you were concerned about the stated height limit on the CA, as some people are, you'd be thrilled to know it's higher than the Avenue. :)

I think the Onside Air is a Scenera with Air so the shell is probably shorter than the Avenue. If she doesn't need the extra shell height though maybe a 40 lbs Scenera would work?

Dillipop

Will your dd still fit in a 35 lbs rfing seat by March? It's possible that you'll need a 40 lb seat by then, which limits you a little on your choices- the 40 lb scenera, myride, Britax, radian, and some evenflos, I think. And by March, your dd will be almost 4, right? When would you be open to ffing for travel?

InternationalMama

Will your dd still fit in a 35 lbs rfing seat by March? It's possible that you'll need a 40 lb seat by then, which limits you a little on your choices- the 40 lb scenera, myride, Britax, radian, and some evenflos, I think. And by March, your dd will be almost 4, right? When would you be open to ffing for travel?

Yeah, this is what I was thinking too. By March she also may not fit in the new Britax seats that are 40 lbs RF. I think if you want any longevity and you don't want to use the Radian then the Complete Air will probably be the best choice unless you are willing to FF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC