Vent 1.6 y/o in booster....

lourdes

Am so mad with my cousin, her DD is 1.6 y/o and weights 23 pounds, she is FF in Britax Marathon, and now, I was looking on facebook and to my surprise, she posted a picture of her DD in a booster seat in a helicopter!!!!! I was horrified! I call her, she said that it was when her DD was staying with the father, the father had a booster seat for her when she is staying with him, OH GOD! I am so mad at my cousin! Why she won't stand up for her DD?????? They don't live together and in my opinion she is afraid of him, what he said is the final word, He won't change his booster to a car seat and won't let her install her car seat either..... So sad

ADS

lourdes

There is no custody agreement but she won't do anything about it because he pays her really good child support and she is scare of him, for me those are not good reasons but I can't do anything, I talk to her and she won't do anything. I can't become a tech because the classes are not given here, they are only given to police man and to fire man, I have to fly to the US for one week to take the classes. This situation is hard for me because this is my cousin and I take care of the baby because she is in my home day care.

jjordan

If there's a formal custody agreement, can't she do something about it since that's illegal?

Without a doubt it is unsafe... but it's only illegal of the state has a proper use clause OR a law about a minimum age or weight for boostering. OP - what state is he in, and does your cousin know that it is potentially illegal?

lourdes

I live in PR, the law here only says that a child 4 years or younger have to be properly restrain in a child restrain seat, doesn't specify anything else, I read here from another post that a booster is not a chid restrain seat, that the car seat is the child restrain seat and that the booster is a belt positioner, so if this is true, it is illegal but I am sure that here I won't find a single cop that will know the difference

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
No. A booster is a child restraint system or a child safety seat (another phrase legislators like). What's illegal is that there is no booster approved for under 30#, and the law requires "proper use" or use according to manufacturer's guidelines.

WhatAboutPuppy

I live in PR, the law here only says that a child 4 years or younger have to be properly restrain in a child restrain seat, doesn't specify anything else, I read here from another post that a booster is not a chid restrain seat, that the car seat is the child restrain seat and that the booster is a belt positioner, so if this is true, it is illegal but I am sure that here I won't find a single cop that will know the difference

You said "properly restrained"... using a booster for a child under 30lbs isn't "properly restrained" as the min weight limit on any booster I know if is 30 lbs. Therefore he is breaking the law. As long as the law for your state actually uses that phrase then what he is doing is illegal.

lourdes

Sorry about the bad spelling! English is not my first language! I talk to her and I am going to gather some information from her about boosters and car seats and she said she was going to give it to him, I don't believe her but I am going to do it anyways, I think is my responsibility, if they don't do anything and something bad happens I will at least know that I did my best......

lourdes

carseatcoach said:
No. A booster is a child restraint system or a child safety seat (another phrase legislators like). What's illegal is that there is no booster approved for under 30#, and the law requires "proper use" or use according to manufacturer's guidelines.

Is a evenflo booster seat with side protection, the one that kmart sales, I think it says 3 years and 30 pounds, the only way that he will do something is if he is stop by a cop that knows the difference but here I don't know were to find one

Traquy

That is just scary. You can only do what you can do, then pray they don't get in an accident until the child is old enough to actually fit in the booster seat (or not at all, even better).

Kat_Momof3

you know, I don't mind it in the helicopter... it shrinks the seat for a kid... helps the seatbelt fit (sometimes they otherwise can't tighten enough)... but NOT in the car... definitely!

Polola0628

I agree the situation sucks. However, even though you blocked out her face, it's not right to post photos of someone else's child on the internet, on a very public forum. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but I needed to throw that out there. I would be beyond livid if that were my child.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC