Vent child in critical condition after falling out of car...

ADS

msg221

Is it just coincidence or does this really happen as much as I've heard about lately? This is the third story in the past several weeks that incidents like this have occurred. Someone posted something last week of this happening somewhere else and I know it happened in Arizona a month or so ago.

I can't imagine not restraining a child that young in a car seat!

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
We saw a child about that same age bouncing around a car the other day. I pointed it out to dh and when the father (driver) saw dh's jaw dropped, he started to try to direct the child to buckle up. :rolleyes:

I hope this little guy makes a full recovery. I cannot imagine having dd1 unrestrained.

¡May contain dyac moments!

hedgefun

msg221 said:
Is it just coincidence or does this really happen as much as I've heard about lately? This is the third story in the past several weeks that incidents like this have occurred. Someone posted something last week of this happening somewhere else and I know it happened in Arizona a month or so ago.

I can't imagine not restraining a child that young in a car seat!

So sad!

I can't comment on the "does this seem like it's happening more," but I will say that I live in Philly and I call the police pretty frequently about lap babies or babies just riding around unresrained.

Kat_Momof3

I think it is more publicized now... at least on here (otherwise it may be overlooked as it wouldn't really be front-page news these days, though it would have back in the day before carseats... and probably one reason carseats were invented)

but I'm sure it happens all too often... possibly more often than you would think, though less than it would without carseat laws.

hrice

We had a 3 year old girl come into our check today in nothing. She was bouncing around in the back. She left in a Generations 65. I hope mom keeps her in it. This story could have been her.

VoodooChile

I normally would have said I rarely see totally unrestrained children, but today as dd and I were leaving the pediatrician's office, a minivan pulls up next to us FULL of kids (4 or 5, I lost count b/c they were bouncing all over the place), and only one in a car seat--a forward facing baby. Of course, my dd bellows "Ever hear of a car seat?" at the top of her lungs (open windows on my vehicle and hers) :eek:. So yeah. Nice.

turtlemama

I can't recall my younger sister riding in a car seat past the age of 1. I remember when I was around 8 and she was almost 3 and we were going down the highway and she was leaning on the door. (We were both completely unrestrained) the door flew open and the only thing that saved her was me grabbing her by the back of her jacket and pulling her back in the car and shutting the door back. The only thing my dad did was say "Holy $hit!" and kept driving.

Another time when I was 4 or 5 and my brother 3 or 4, my mom had us in the front seat of a car called a Maverick (no clue what make it was, but it was old.) We were unrestrained as usual. She was driving us to the gas station in our very small town, so probably not going really fast. The door flew open as she turned a corner and my brother and I fell out of the car. I remember rolling a little bit and I know one of us hit our head on a rock. My mom definitely freaked out. I remember her coming and putting me back in the car and looking for my brother. I don't remember why, but she couldn't find him for a minute. Neither one of us were hurt.
My mom actually told that story to people for years to come.

acoro

Do parents not get charged in these situations these days for failure to provide something or other?

msg221

I can't recall my younger sister riding in a car seat past the age of 1. I remember when I was around 8 and she was almost 3 and we were going down the highway and she was leaning on the door. (We were both completely unrestrained) the door flew open and the only thing that saved her was me grabbing her by the back of her jacket and pulling her back in the car and shutting the door back. The only thing my dad did was say "Holy $hit!" and kept driving.

Another time when I was 4 or 5 and my brother 3 or 4, my mom had us in the front seat of a car called a Maverick (no clue what make it was, but it was old.) We were unrestrained as usual. She was driving us to the gas station in our very small town, so probably not going really fast. The door flew open as she turned a corner and my brother and I fell out of the car. I remember rolling a little bit and I know one of us hit our head on a rock. My mom definitely freaked out. I remember her coming and putting me back in the car and looking for my brother. I don't remember why, but she couldn't find him for a minute. Neither one of us were hurt.

Holy crap! You and your siblings must have nine lives!

My brother E (now 46) is sporting his scar from a childhood injury from not being restrained. He and my dad were driving when my dad had to brake suddenly and my brother went flying and hit his forehead on the AC vent. Well, this was probably about 1969/1970 and the AC vent was circular and metal and had a pointed end in the center. My brother hit his forehead on that, splitting the skin and blood everywhere. Like I said, he still has a scar.

Dorothy

turtlemama said:

I snagged my little bro once, too! We were in a single cab pickup turning left off a 55 mph road onto a 45 mph one when he pulled the door handle, and inertia plus gravity took him straight out. He was clinging to the door handle. The driver was yelling at me to grab him. When I reached out and took hold, I almost went out, too. The vehicle ended up veering into the ditch as the driver lurched over to grab ahold of me. We were probably 4 and 10. I feel so lucky!!! I was unrestrained in two other fairly major accidents as a child. I flew from the back seat of the car into the front floorboard in one. So lucky!!!

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org. Ignore the Autocorrect...

livsmum

It makes me sick to think this baby may be in pain right now due to the carelessness of an adult.

How can anyone think it's OK? And people on the comments page are defending him/her - everyone makes mistakes. Give me a break.

And I love how someone else commented that their baby got out of his $300 Eddie Bauer seat (since when are they $300). If he was properly restrained, there's no way a child that age could get out.

I didn't know there were so many morons amongst us.

acoro

It makes me sick to think this baby may be in pain right now due to the carelessness of an adult.

How can anyone think it's OK? And people on the comments page are defending him/her - everyone makes mistakes. Give me a break.

And I love how someone else commented that their baby got out of his $300 Eddie Bauer seat (since when are they $300). If he was properly restrained, there's no way a child that age could get out.

I didn't know there were so many morons amongst us.

This unfortunately is what happens when we start working against evolution...i.e. survival of the fittest. I truly feel uber warning messages and accepted lawsuits for lack of common sense on the plaintiff's side have led us to this place. No one is held accountable for their own stupidity anymore and as a result less than stellar genes remain in the gene pool

turtlemama

I snagged my little bro once, too! We were in a single cab pickup turning left off a 55 mph road onto a 45 mph one when he pulled the door handle, and inertia plus gravity took him straight out. He was clinging to the door handle. The driver was yelling at me to grab him. When I reached out and took hold, I almost went out, too. The vehicle ended up veering into the ditch as the driver lurched over to grab ahold of me. We were probably 4 and 10. I feel so lucky!!! I was unrestrained in two other fairly major accidents as a child. I flew from the back seat of the car into the front floorboard in one. So lucky!!!

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org. Ignore the Autocorrect...

Veering into the ditch reminded me of the time my uncle was driving me to school. I was probably 7 or so. We had a very long drive way with trees and a deep ditch on both sides.
I think my uncle may have been drunk, but not sure. We didn't get very far down the drive way before he ran us into the ditch. We were in it in such a way that the car was almost laying on the passenger side. I couldn't open my door (I was in the front seat.) So we had to climb up and out of his door. We walked back to the house and I didn't have to go to school that day.

Kind of related to a vehicle accident- my dad used to take all four of us kids out to the woods where he cut down trees for firewood. He drove a truck with all of us in the seat.
We were out in the woods, us older 3 kids running and playing around, while my 2 year old sister was in the back of the truck with the wood. It was all stacked up against the rear window area. I don't know what she did, but I remember hearing the wood fall and seeing my dad run as fast as he could, then jump into the back of the truck where he started tossing logs all over the place to dig her out. A whole stack of wood fell on her, and she came out without a scratch.
We got lucky like that ALL the time as kids. I also think we might have 9 lives :confused:

turtlemama

Do parents not get charged in these situations these days for failure to provide something or other?

In the case of a child dying? I'm not sure. Child endangerment or neglect resulting in death is one I can think of that might apply.

Ladyl

This unfortunately is what happens when we start working against evolution...i.e. survival of the fittest. I truly feel uber warning messages and accepted lawsuits for lack of common sense on the plaintiff's side have led us to this place. No one is held accountable for their own stupidity anymore and as a result less than stellar genes remain in the gene pool

This is a truly upsetting mindset. :thumbsdown:If you take this point of view all the way to where it is headed, one could say they wanted this child to die for the sake of survival of the fittest. After all these parents a carrying the "stupid gene" since they didn't restrain their child, and the child probably carrying the same gene. Best not have that past on to the next generation. Evolution and survival of the fittest is about people dying just as much as people living. We can't analyze evolution as it is happening, or it can make us heartless, and we truly don't know where it is really heading. As CPS advocates, we need to put safety as a priority and not point fingers at people being stupid. Ignorance of safety is just as much, if not more, a product of society not biology.

acoro

I wasn't actually referring to this issue of the child's death I was referring specifically to the bolded section of the quote regarding the number of "morons" around as previous poster stated. I should have probably said off topic or on a tangent. I in no way was trying to say this child should die to satisfy evolution :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC