Gifted a Radian didn't work in my car

littleangelfire

I'm so bummed. :( that's me, said, lol. I was steered to the David Michael Miller foundation to apply for a higher weight harness seat for my LARGE son (he'll be 3 at the end of July) and I was so excited when they approved me, but I was immediately a little worried when they said he was chosen to receive a Radian80. After reading about all the problems on here, I was thoroughly worried it wouldn't work in my '99 Civic. Also, I tried it at a store, it is so narrow on the bottom part it seemed he was just about to overlap the sides! And no, he's not obese, lol, he's just 95th percentile for both height and weight, meaning he's the size of a lot of 5 year olds! I didn't say anything to the lady I spoke with b/c I thought it would sound ungrateful if I asked if they were sure it was going to fit. The CPST they shipped it to came by today to install it for us and it wouldn't work!! She actually put some scratches and scrapes on the side of the belt path pulling the belt so tight trying to get it to work. No matter what she did, it was tight side to side, but would pull easily front to back. Wouldn't work in the middle or outboard.

I have no real point here....just sharing. It was disappointing. :( I'm not sure what they'll do now. The CPST called the lady at the foundation and left her a message, but she's outta the office till Monday. I dont' know if they ever give Regents or not, but it looks like that is the only option. I was trying to save up to buy him one, and selling stuff around the house, but had only worked my way up to $50 (actually - $25 now...he needed shoes and pull ups, gotta get that potty training thing going. lol) So it seems it'd take me a really long time to save. He has a Marathon a CPST at a hospital gave him which I thank my lucky stars for, but at his current growth rate he will outgrow it before the end of the year. So I have a little time to sit back....but anyways. I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar with the foundation and ever heard of this happening?
Amy

ADS

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
I'm not farmiliar with them but I am sure they will work something out to keep your son safe. I think they wish there was more awareness a long time ago, so its good to see them helping people who need it.

Chameleon

They DO give Regents out! I read about it somewhere. Seen pictures actually. I hope they will be able to exchange that for you for a Regent.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Yes they do give our regents as well as the radain80's personally i wish they woudl stick with the regents unless it's absolute sure that the perents need to fit 3 across ...

scatterbunny

I believe the Kyle David Miller Foundation (not David Michael Miller ;) ) prefers Radians because they don't require tethering above 50 pounds like the Regent does; the Radian passes stricter head excursion testing with heavier dummies even without being tethered. I wonder sometimes, too, if they give out Radians more often because they have a better deal with Sunshine Kids than they do with Britax.

I'm on the list of techs they call if someone in my area is approved for a seat; I keep hoping it happens! :D

Sorry to hear the Radian didn't work in your Civic, and I hope they give you a Regent! I wonder if they just assumed, because it was a small car, that the Regent wouldn't work? If so, their assumption would be wrong!

arly1983

I think momof3boys(?) got a regent from them so maybe you will....

Our little guy had the same problem with the radian as yours did. He already filled the radian out, I just didn't think it would be at all compfortable as he got older..

doriansmummy

My friend got a Regent from the Kyle David Miller Foundation about 2 weeks ago!:thumbsup: She picked it up at Segals in Beaverton, Oregon. They gave her younger 2.5 year old lil girl a Evenflo (Titan?) which she looks HUGE in. The mom was hoping something the lil girl would be more comfy in but she took it anyways, too bad she did not ask if any other seats were an option.

littleangelfire

That's good to know - I'm hoping that's what they decide to do. If the Radian had fit, I would have appreciatively taken it, as it does fit him now, and would probably fit him for a while yet, giving me enough time to save or him enough time to turn 4. (I don't really want him in a booster at 4, but if its the only option....) They did ask me the model of my car and the year. I never realized I had 'forward of the bite' seatbelts. I never really paid attention, though I hadn't ever had any trouble getting any other car seats in there for my little sister or my son except a cosco summit. That didn't work in either mine or my mom's car for some reason.

If they will exchange it for a reason, I'll be uberexcited!! LOL In total car seat envy I tried a Regent in my car at Babyland here. It does fit, and leaves room for my sister's booster in the other outboard position, just no one else. But, truth be told, a marathon and a booster back there don't leave any room for anyone else, either, so that's no different than now. :) The Regent would give him SOOOOO much more growing room! He has to be on the top slots of the Radian already, and his booty seems to overflow it, whereas I think he had 2 or 3 sets of slots above him still on the Regent and he could become obese and still fit it! :D

OH! And thank you for correcting me on the name! I was watching TV at the same time....it musta bled into my typing. :)

scatterbunny

My friend got a Regent from the Kyle David Miller Foundation about 2 weeks ago!:thumbsup: She picked it up at Segals in Beaverton, Oregon. They gave her younger 2.5 year old lil girl a Evenflo (Titan?) which she looks HUGE in. The mom was hoping something the lil girl would be more comfy in but she took it anyways, too bad she did not ask if any other seats were an option.

Awesome to know that some local families are being helped out by the KDMF! :D

littleangelfire

I wonder sometimes, too, if they give out Radians more often because they have a better deal with Sunshine Kids than they do with Britax.
I thought of that, they are a little cheaper. Actually, someone on here said they were lowering the price further. I figured maybe they got a better deal with them, too, so they might get more of them.

Sorry to hear the Radian didn't work in your Civic, and I hope they give you a Regent! I wonder if they just assumed, because it was a small car, that the Regent wouldn't work? If so, their assumption would be wrong!

You're probably right, there! My car is quite small, or at least, sounds small when I say I have a 2 door coupe. It is a compact car. So that probably did feed into it, and I guess you never know unless you try, since there doesn't seem to be any database of cars with forward of the byte belts, and I was too silly to realize that's what I had (though I don't know if it would have made a difference in the decision of which seat, they didn't ask about my belts I don't think). Actually, after having been in some other cars, 2 door and 4 door, I gotta say, it could definitely be smaller! LOL My friend has a Buick something or other (not sure what model, sorry!) and it is a 4 door, but my back seat has more room than hers does, at least depth wise, and more leg room for thep people sitting there. When my son went in her car, his feet were pressed up against the front seat. But it sounds small. :) The Radian probably would have worked in my mom's car (we live with my parents), but she wasn't here to try it out, and he rides in my car most often. We prefer to have 2 seats b/c he does ride in it every other day or so, but I can switch if I have to, rather have one that fits him!
Amy

scatterbunny

Oh man, anyone who's worked with a Regent KNOWS they are PERFECT for forward-of-the-bight belts! Any seat that allows the long belt path works awesome with forward-of-the-bight belts. Currently only the Regent offers the long belt path, only with lap/shoulderbelt installs.

littleangelfire

From the beginning of my search for a seat for him that's be his last before a booster, the Regent has seemed the best bet. I wish it were slightly smaller, but honestly, to be able to do its intent in holding a large child, it has to be big! Dylan is just so big a bigger seat seems like the best plan. :) I guess I should probably stop using his Evenflo Chase combo now, too, he weighed 39.2lbs! Just a couple days ago he was 38.6lbs.
Amy

littleangelfire

Woohoo! The CPST who Kyle David Miller foudnation is having put in the seat called today and said they are going to give Dylan a Regent! HYippppeeeeee. The lady at the foundation said she just happened to order an extra for no reasonm AND as a bonus there is someone locally who can use the Radian they already sent me that the CPST took with her. So its great all around. :) I may have to wait awhile, but that is no biggie, since my son will fit in the Marathon until the end of this year probably. He is however, very very close to the 40lbs limit on the Evenflo combo seat in my mom's car. So I've been switching the MA back and forth every day. Easy enough to put in, but my arms hurt from the carrying back and forth. Although, I keep trying to beat my personal best on how fast I can get it in good. :D Its good to have a hobby, lol. Everytime I put it in though, I smack my forehead for my own ignorance and not having tried to purchase one when my son was born. Compared to the other seats he has had or ridden in, or the ones my sister had or rode in, it is so easy (which I know you all know) it just amazes me that anyone bothers to buy anything else. Of course, that's probably b/c like me, they had never put in one, before. The only other seat I've put in that I liked as much was my sisters FPSE. The locking clip on that one was really cool.
Anyways, just sharing.
Thanks yall.
Amy

doriansmummy

That foundation is just great! Makes me wanna cry and smile. They really are helping families keep there children safe.:thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC