• Yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Lenae

This is pretty hypothetical, DS is just under 38 inches, so I'm not worried about it, just wondering.

I just bought a CA in Swap, it's going to be our backup/travel seat. DS will probably only ride in it one time RF, this December. As a backup seat, it will be used FF here on the island. But what if my DS were 40 inches and I wanted to RF him? I know no one can reccomend going against manufacturers instructions, but how many of you make the parental decision for yourself? I know some are comfortable disregarding the level to line rule, so how about this one?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
This has been done many times before.

I do not have a Complete Air, a rear-facing child, or a child anywhere near 40", so any answer on my part is theoretical.

I think there's a pretty good chance that the manufacturer is sticking hard to an arbitrary limit. But I think there's also a chance that they know something they're not telling. And with plenty of seats on the market that allow rear-facing past 40", I wouldn't choose to use my child to find out whether the limit is arbitrary or not. I'd get a new seat or FF if the child was over 3.5 or thereabouts (proper use trumps best practice).

ETA that Dorel eventually grudgingly approved a more upright use. They're still sticking to 40" afaik.

Lenae

I'm sure it has been done before, a lot probably, but I searched (which I'm terrible at, I don't know if I use the wrong words or what, but I never get any good results) and I was still wondering.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Hypothetically I think I would ignore it. At least, I wouldn't follow it religiously. I would feel comfortable with a 41" child who has plenty of head room left in the seat using it for RF.

My daughter is mostly torso and I suspect she'll get within 1" of the top of the CA before (or about the same time as) she hits 40".

The other rule I disregard is the "child's head can be even with the top of the shell" one. On that, I go more conservative. I am really uncomfortable with it.

I understand "Proper use trumps best practice" but I also think RF is important enough that if a different RF seat isn't an option the safety benefits of RF outweigh what can only be a minor decrease in safety by a very small technicality of misuse. In other words, I can believe that a 41" child is less safe RF than a 39" child, but I have a hard time believing a 41" child is safer FF than RF.

I would still advise parents to follow the rule. But if my daughter hits 40" and still appears to fit RF in her CA, if I still have reason to use the CA I wouldn't turn her immediately.

momtotwogirls

Using it more upright I am comfortable ignoring the 40in rule with adequate head room. My youngest is like 37.75in tall with a 12 in torso so even if she grows those 2inches in her torso she will still have like 3-4 in above her head. We havent used the seat in a few months and really Ive only kept it this long because I cant get a good install with the frontier in my husbands car. I would love to get rid of it though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC