How much of a real concern is submarining?

Lemonade

Considering starting to booster train DS. He's going to be 6 in 2 months and is about 36# (naked - so maybe 38# clothed) and 44". He is less often in the car now because K is a 2 minute walk. He rides 3-4 times a week to activities and that is usually 10-15 minutes away on slow roads. I'd put his FR80 back in for road trips.

I currently own a PKWY SGL (that I got in trade) and it fits him well I think. I tried it a few months ago - it's currently in its box in the closet. Do any other seats have a similar feature? If not, why? Is Britax over-stating the risk to sell the feature on their seat? Should I stick with the SGL when I eventually get a second booster or is it really not something I need to worry about? It makes me feel better...like it's some intermediate step between harness and booster...but is that all in my head?

THX:)

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
He can't legally use the Parkway until he is 40#.

I would not be especially concerned about a 6yo submarining.

luckyclov

Smaller/younger kids are most at risk for submarining (under 5 and 40). It's not generally a huge concern for mature booster riders. The PWSG/L's minimum weight is 40 lbs. I wouldn't be super stressed out about a 40+ lb 6-year old submarining under the lap belt, provided it was a proper fit to begin with.

Aside from the Frontier 85 in booster mode, with a seperately purchased SG clip from Britax, there are no other boosters on the market, that I'm aware of, that offer any sort of anti-submarining "protection".

Pixels

Many boosters do have anti-submarining features designed into the seat. A seat pan that tilts up toward the front helps to reduce the chances of submarining. That's the same reason vehicle seats are often shaped that way, as well.

Lemonade

Legal issues aside, which would be safer for my DS: PKWY SGL or a booster that says 30# on it instead of 40# as the minimum but has no strap? Assuming good belt fit in both. Yes, I know if I'm asking this the answer is probably just to keep him harnessed but I'm curious. Still in the 'considering it' stage.

tam_shops

Glad I'm not the only one w/ an almost 6yo that is not yet 40#, though we're 6 in 3 months and 39.5# last check! LOL

I've been told more than once, here and BBC, when he hits 40# (we're Canadian and that's the limit) that the TurboBooster has the best fit for smaller/slim kids. I wonder the same thing about that extra strap, I *like* the idea that it stops him from going under...

tam

luckyclov

Feed him a fast/junk food diet for a few weeks and see if you can get him to 40 lbs...he's pretty close.;)

Have you tried him in a TurboBooster? I think the minimum weight is 30 lbs and it tends to fit smaller kids really, really well. A booster that provides an outta-this-world lap belt fit is going to be a benefit as well.

Pixels

Legal issues aside, which would be safer for my DS: PKWY SGL or a booster that says 30# on it instead of 40# as the minimum but has no strap? Assuming good belt fit in both. Yes, I know if I'm asking this the answer is probably just to keep him harnessed but I'm curious. Still in the 'considering it' stage.

Well, considering even the manufacturer says your son isn't safe in the PWSG ...

Lemonade

Well, considering even the manufacturer says your son isn't safe in the PWSG ...

Is this rule mainly to keep 3 yr olds out of boosters or it there something fundamentally different about PKWY/FR vs boosters that start at 30#?

Pixels

Is this rule mainly to keep 3 yr olds out of boosters or it there something fundamentally different about PKWY/FR vs boosters that start at 30#?

If their goal was to keep 3yos out of boosters, then they could simply place a 4 year minimum on it. A parent who is willing to ignore a 4y minimum is also likely to ignore a weight minimum, so putting a higher weight minimum isn't likely to keep many 3yos out of the booster.

tam_shops

Britax did put a 2yo min on the Frontier AND 25#, which they probably knew might loose them customers given some people go from baby bucket to final seat. And, that not everyone RF in their other seats anyway, yet they didn't add an increased RF limit to them, so it's not *all* about encouraging best practice.

I'm sure they also know that some 3yo are taller (and heavier) than my short 5 3/4YO (younger sibling of a child in our Kindergarten class is several inches taller than my guy) not yet 40# guy. So, again that's not just about best practice to wait until 40#. In *this* case, the 3yo is over 40# and can ride in that seat, but my 5 3/4 39.5# can not.

So, it certainly makes you wonder why they put *just* a 40# limit and not an age ie 40# and 6yo to follow best practice, but certainly suggests to me that I should wait.

Also, if you've bought their seats all along and end in a Frontier, you're going to be *bigger* by then, making me wonder if the seat was in fact designed for a larger/older child.

tam

christineka

I would go with a seat that has a 30 pound minimum. I have one of those light 6 yos. I have had her in long discontinued (But not yet expired) seats, however. I feel that at her age, if the belt fit is optimal, and she sits properly, she is reasonably safe in a booster.

fyrfightermomma

I also have a light 6 year old. She began riding full time in a booster at 5.5(maxed out her gn by height) and was 32 lbs. She's now maybe 37ish. Submarining never has crossed my mind. Her booster fit is perfect and she sits properly. I contemplated using the parkway under the limit but in the end decided not to go against the manufacturer. Both the pb and turbo fit her perfect

rachelandtyke

I have a small 6 year old, also. She is part time in boosters, and I have not been concerned with it either. The belt fit in her seats is great (vivo and turbo).

Lemonade

Thanks for the replies. I *may* get a Monterey and see how that goes. I really want a latchable booster so I just can't wrap my head around the TB right now.

christineka

Thanks for the replies. I *may* get a Monterey and see how that goes. I really want a latchable booster so I just can't wrap my head around the TB right now.

You might try the compass b570, oobr, or the cybex x-fix. Those three latch and are known to fit smaller kids well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC