Vans with tethers

libranbutterfly

I am planning to buy a used van in the fall. I want one with latch, and would prefer as many tethers as possible. I am currently considering the Pontiac Montana and the Toyota Sienna, but have heard the Sienna only has tethers in 3 seats. I babysit, and once I have my van, I am not going to be stuck in my home with the kids all the time (plus then I get to buy more seats;) ) Feel free to suggest others, I'm hoping to get an 8 passenger if possible.

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
First, be sure to check the crash test ratings for any van you're considering!

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Tests (independent)
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Tests (government)

The number of tether anchors (TAs) you get varies, depending on the model year. The '01-'05 Montana* has up to 5 TAs, depending on the seating configuration (stowable vs. bench seat in the 3rd row). The '06-'07 Montana only has 3 TAs.

The '98-'03 Sienna has 3 TAs, but the '04-'06 Sienna has 5 TAs.

* Please note that the 1997-2005 Pontiac Trans Sport/Montana (also sold as Chevrolet Venture and Oldsmobile Silhouette) had the WORST crash test ratings of any minivan during that time period.

scatterbunny

The Ford Windstar might be worth considering. The 2000-2003 has lower anchors in four seating positions (but allows use of inner outboard anchors in the center of the third row) and tether anchors in all five rear seating positions, plus a tether anchor on the back of the front passenger seat. Gets much better crash scores than the Montana, but doesn't have an 8 passenger option.

1girltwinboyz

I have a 07 sienna (rental) and it has 5 seats with LATCH and TETHER! All 3 in middle row and passenger side and middle in 3rd row. BUT...it only has one power door on the passenger side. The drivers side you have to open manually and for some reason mine does not stay open. It started to slide to close when one of my boys was climbing out of his MA. :eek: Not GOOD! the shifter knob is down where the stereo should be and that is very weird for me (my honda ody was rearended on Wed and in the shop tobe fixed so that is what i am comparing it too. IMHO there is no comparison to my ody ... but that has nothing to do with wha tyou are asking for :eek: ). The hatch door is really weird too. It has like a sensor or something and it opens for me about 50% of the time onthe first try? :thumbsdown:

Ok prolly more than you wanted to know...:p

Kat_Momof3

The Ford Windstar might be worth considering. The 2000-2003 has lower anchors in four seating positions (but allows use of inner outboard anchors in the center of the third row) and tether anchors in all five rear seating positions, plus a tether anchor on the back of the front passenger seat. Gets much better crash scores than the Montana, but doesn't have an 8 passenger option.

My friend has a 2003 Windstar and doesn't know where the top tethers are for the 3rd row. Her van didn't come with it's manual... and she has two of her kids back there right now and is planning to move a third back there eventually (and have 2 radians and 1 MA or 3 Radians)

Could you tell me where they are??

faeanne

I'm a noob to all of this, so I don't know much. But I just bought a new-to-me '01 Grand Caravan Sport. Mine is only a 7 seater- it has captain chairs in the middle row and a split bench in the third row. I *think* there's an 8 passenger option though. My Teri friend was excited to find out it has LATCH and tether in each rear seat. I'm sure someone else that knows more can elaborate. :)

ETA: LATCH can only be used in the 3rd row in the center position or in the 2 outboard positions. (I think I used the terms right!)

Nisha

My friend has a 2003 Windstar and doesn't know where the top tethers are for the 3rd row. Her van didn't come with it's manual... and she has two of her kids back there right now and is planning to move a third back there eventually (and have 2 radians and 1 MA or 3 Radians)

Could you tell me where they are??

If you open the back hatch and crouch down and look under the back seat, there is a metal strip that is attached to the bottom of the seat. It's got 3 anchors on it, spaced about 6" apart or so. They're really not very visible unless you get down low!
I'd go take a picture of mine, but the back is loaded with salvation army give away stuff right now!

Nisha

:yeahthat: I LOVE my windstar! (models with power front passenger seat don't have a tether anchor though :( )

Kat_Momof3

If you open the back hatch and crouch down and look under the back seat, there is a metal strip that is attached to the bottom of the seat. It's got 3 anchors on it, spaced about 6" apart or so. They're really not very visible unless you get down low!
I'd go take a picture of mine, but the back is loaded with salvation army give away stuff right now!

THANK YOU!!

I'll have her weigh her 4yr old that's in the Radian (see if she needs the safestop) and see if she needs help (cause she has scoliosis, arthritis in the hips, and I bet both seats will have to be reinstalled to do it.

The idiot tech she saw couldn't even get the Radian tight, didn't look at her other seats, and assumed she had no tethers back there.

I knew if there was latch, there were tethers in at least those two spots... found the info so quick on here... thank goodness for this board!!

I just didn't like the idea of her big 1yr old (he's like 35lbs) riding without a tether in the Marathon... that was the one that really bugged me.

valleyfam

:yeahthat: I LOVE my windstar! (models with power front passenger seat don't have a tether anchor though :( )

I agree. Love my Windstar and 6 TA it doesn't get much better. As for 8 passengers, someone on here put a full bench (back seat) in the middle of their windstar so that both the 2nd and 3rd row held 3. (Did that make sense?) I thought it was brilliant. Maybe someone else can remember who it is and link you to a picture.

nisi

Senior Community Member
Most (maybe all?) Ford owners manuals from the last 10-12yrs are available for download:

Go to http://www.motorcraft.com/
Click on "Technical Resources" near the top of the page.
Click on "Owner Guides" on the left side.
Then choose your year and model from the lists.

As for 8 passengers, someone on here put a full bench (back seat) in the middle of their windstar so that both the 2nd and 3rd row held 3. (Did that make sense?) I thought it was brilliant. Maybe someone else can remember who it is and link you to a picture.
Why thank you :)
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=377342&postcount=5

Nisha

As for 8 passengers, someone on here put a full bench (back seat) in the middle of their windstar so that both the 2nd and 3rd row held 3. (Did that make sense?) I thought it was brilliant. Maybe someone else can remember who it is and link you to a picture.

OMG I didn't know that was possible!!! I'll have to let my Mom & Dad know that, they have a 99 and a 95 (ready for the junk yard) windstar and are always needing another seat in the 99!!!

Kellyr2

My 01 Chrysler Voyager has top tether anchors in all 5 rear seats. Latch can be used in all 5, but the rear middle one can only be used if there's nothing latched in on either side. (it shares anchors with the outboard seats, but it IS allowed to use them in the middle)
However, I wouldn't recommend the Voyager, personally.

I just got an 06 Kia Sedona and it has Latch in 4 rear positions, all but the rear middle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC