Need opinions and advice

LimePink

Senior Community Member
I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra and it has poor side impact crash test ratings. I'd really like to get another car but can only get about $5000 out of mine. I'm thinking I can get a student loan for $3000-5000 and I've been trying to find a car in that price range.

I want something with side airbags; front and rear would be nice, but I'll take front only if I have to. DD is in the middle anyway and never rides outboard- she only has twice in emergency situations when picking up another child.

My car is small and I want something that's bigger to tote all our junk around and get DD in and out of the back seat more easily.

I also want something with decent gas milage. I owned a Civic a couple years ago pre baby and loved that, but it's just too small for us.

This is a car I've emailed the woman about and I'm thinking about going to look at. Does anyone have experience with Volkswagen Passats? I saw the previous thread about not liking Volkswagens- maybe I shouldn't even bother?

Do you think this car is safe enough and will meet our needs? Is there anything under $10,000 that you can think of that would be better for us? I could use all the help I can get on this- I'm a single mom with no one around who knows a darn thing about cars!! I'm clueless!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&transmission=Automatic&max_price=&cardist=50

ADS

southpawboston

the passat is safer than the sentra, but a 2000 passat with close to 100,000 miles is bound to be a money pit. they were know to have lots of problems.

also don't automatically assume that a car with side air bags will perform better than a different car without them. the 2001-2006 hyundai elantras came standard with side air bags, yet they were rated "poor" for side impact. i don't know of any cars that rated better without side air bags off teh top of my head, but i know there are some out there.

for your price range, you can easily find a 1998-2000 honda accord, which is about the size of the passat, pretty safe, reliable and bigger than what you currently have. also consider a 1998-2000 volvo S70 sedan or V70 wagon. those are *very* safe (among the safest cars of that vintage), roomy and you can find them for about $8000 in clean condition. gas mileage is about the same as the passat, not as good as the accord. neither of these will give as good gas mileage as the sentra. reliability on the volvos can be spotty, but not as bad as the passat...

good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC