Question Inflatable Seatbelts, thoughts?

mama d

Any thoughts on the inflatable seatbelts? I am debating between an Explorer or a Durango for my next car. I know the Carseatlady did a piece on them, I was just wondering what you guys thought?

ETA: I can't find the CSL review now so I can't remember what she said. Also edited to correct grammar.

Last edited:
ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Car Seat Blog has talked about them some. As of right now, no car seat manufacturer allows you to install a car seat with an inflatable seatbelt. Ford insists it's fine but no one has approved it AFAIK.

monstah

I think they are pretty amazing but may be a problem for car seats. Specifically, infant buckets. (My opinion, not based on fact.) Not sure what my opinion is on other seats though. Ford says they don't negatively affect car seats but as a tech, I'm not sure what my official stance should be. IIRC, some car seat brands specifically prohibit the inflatable belts until further testing has been done. I don't recall which companies though.

Ford's LATCH goes to 48 pounds and I personally would love to get a new Ford, use LATCH to 48 pounds and switch to a booster at that time since both of my girls will likely be 5+ before hitting 48 pounds.
I understand booster seat manufacturers haven't approved inflatable belt use but from the presentations I have seen from Ford, I would love to have them in my car. :twocents:

Last edited:

kathysr98

I'm with monstah. I looked at an Explorer with them today & think they're really cool. I had dh check, and they are optional equipment, so if you are concerned you can always buy an Explorer without them.

BTW, the Explorer is cool, but the Flex is still my favorite. it has more second row legroom!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I was partnered with a Ford engineer/CPST at a seat check event earlier this year (I think it was this year ... maybe last fall?). He was part of the team that was testing the inflatable seat belts and child restraints. He told me that they had not seen any problems at all. Of course, as others have said, no child restraint manufacturer specifically allows their seats to be installed with one, so I wouldn't.

Pixels

Potentially very cool but as of right now, every car seat manufacturer has said no or hasn't said anything. It is my understanding that Ford is not communicating with the manufacturers and giving them the info they want/need to say that it is or is not okay.

Specifically with infant seats that have the shoulder portion through the belt path, I am absolutely not comfortable with it at all.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC