Difference between Laptop and shield booster

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I have only seen pictures of the Britax laptop and remember shield boosters from my childhood but have never really had experience with either. Can someone please enlighten me on how the laptop is safe but shield booster are not? They *look* like they are very similar...yet I am sure they aren't since one is considered safe and the other is not. Soooo would someone please explain it to me? Thanks!!!;)

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
one is made of energy absorbing foam that crushes in an accident (the Laptop) and the other is just made of plastic that doesn't do anything and often as a child flying out of it (the shield booster).

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
one is made of energy absorbing foam that crushes in an accident (the Laptop) and the other is just made of plastic that doesn't do anything and often as a child flying out of it (the shield booster).

:yeahthat:

It's a question of materials--foam versus plastic.

Simplysomething

I thought it wasn't just the materials? From what I've read here, the laptop acts similar to a 5 point restraint, because of the way it is designed.

I hope that skater and the rest chime in :)

scatterbunny

The Laptop fits snugly on virtually every child, right up against the belly, all the way up the chest. It restrains very much like a five point harness. I used one for quite awhile and was very pleased with it. Hayley has some sensory issues and just complained too much about the snug fit (it really does hold the child very firmly in place, usually right up to the underarms).

It's a GREAT niche seat for lapbelt-only spots, but unfortunately the last produced only have about a year left before they expire. :(

Becky's kids were riding in Laptops when they were in a rollover in a van. They worked perfectly.

lynsgirl

I posted this a while back :)

With a shield booster, a child is sitting in a booster, thus, boosted up. The shield is in front of them, but by no means snugly against them as the sole restraint. The belt goes over the shield. The problems with this include being up higher - different center of gravity, and not having anything snugly against the bony parts of the body like you would with a regular seat belt, booster or harnessed seat. If there are no head rests, you've boosted a child up with nothing behind their head. Also, the chances of ejection, either out the top or down out the bottom, depending on the size of the child and the type of crash, are high.

With the LapTop, the child is sitting right on the vehicle seat and the LapTop sits over their legs and against their chest. It is snug against the bony chest and the child is lower down in the vehicle. With a shield booster, the shield is the restraint - the shield is there to be impacted by a body. The same applies to an overhead-shield convertible seat - made to be impacted by a child's face or chest . Since the LapTop is already snug, like a harness, there's not the same kind of impact.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Thank you so much for all those great replies! I had no clue the Laptop went up so high on the body...very interesting. Thanks again for taking the time to explain it to me. Y'all rock!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC