What/when were first HWRF seats?

twom

I'm just curious, and I'm sure someone here must know. :D When did the first convertibles with higher RF weight limits come out (over 20 lbs.), and what were they? DD was born in 1/98, and her convertible only RF to 20 pounds. I don't remember at the time hearing about or seeing any seats that went higher than that, but of course I was fairly car seat clueless at that point. I knew to get a 5-point rather than OHS and to RF to 20 pounds, but that was it. So unfortunately, DD ended up FF at 7 months, because that was when she reached the RF limit of her seat. :( Were there HWRF seats out then?

ADS

cpsaddict

I think it was around 1997 or so. My cousin was born 10/97 and her convertible was an Evenflo Horizon and it rf to 30lbs. They got it around October 1998. I think the Medallion was changed to rf to 30 shortly after that. I also think the first RA's went to 30 rf and they were introduced around 1997, I think. I do know that Century was one of the last to get on board with hwrf seats. The Smart Move rf to 30lbs, but I don't think the first ones did.

Ok, bottom line, I think it was 1997 and it was the RA.

Last edited:

LuvMyGirls

DD1 was born 6/11/98 and had a Smart Move that rf to 30 lbs. I was fascinated with the idea of the seat sliding to an upright rf position in a crash.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC