Arizona's first ....

MySillyKids

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/92455?source=rss&dest=STY-92455

Arizona's first child that has died, when left in the heat of her dad's car. She had a core temp of 109!!!

Please Please leave something you KNOW you need to bring in with you, in the back seat, so you ALWAYS check to see if you have your kids or not :(

For me, i leave my purse in the back when the kids are with me. i cant go anywhere with out it, and so i always go in the back seat to find the kids!

:( :( :(

Off the :soapbox: now.

ADS

cheerbop

:(
I was crying as I was reading this. It really breaks my heart. I have a friend who lives near this city, too. SOOO sad.

KissTheCook

WTF?!?!? I am about as scatter brained as it gets and I've never forgotten my kids in the car, not even for a few minutes... and I've forgotten the 2 year old was NURSING IN MY LAP and asked where he was! WTF?!?!

R&J'sMom

This makes me so sad! Everytime I hear a story like this I wonder how it's possible. I'm busy and I get distracted, but I have never left either of my kids in the car. I don't see how any parent can "forget", it just boggles my mind.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
That is heartbreaking.

We lived in Phx for a couple of years, and every summer they run a PSA about how not to forget your kids in the car. Like, "leave your purse in the backseat next your child" etc. DD1 was born there and I could NEVER imagine forgetting your baby in the car.

Lara

This is so sad.

I was watching the news last night and they were talking about this baby. I thought they said they had her stabilized for awhile, but I could be wrong. Either way, its so sad.

:(

TXDani

Senior Community Member
That is just so tragic and sad! :( I just do not understand how someone can not realize their child is not around for such a long time. Maybe because I am one of those parents who has to all of my children in my sight at all times. I would know within a minute or two if one of my children were not in the house. That poor baby was in the car for almost 2 hours!!! I guess it is like the mom at the park that sat on the bench and chit chattted while her 2 year old roamed the playground only to hear same said lady screaming for him after 30 minutes...he ended up being across the street in a cul de sac and she had the nerve to yell at him and spank him for it!!! :eek: :confused: I guess I just don't get it because something inside of me just feels nervous if I can not see all of my children when we are in public. And there is no way around their screaming when we are home...if it is quiet I would know one had gone missing. :whistle:

amyg530

ok i forget my cell phone but not my child!! how the eff do you forget your child?? i know if it gets quiet in the house i freak out and run to DSs room to check on him and there is no way that he can get out of the house. i was at the store the other day and there was a car parked in the fire lane, engine running, with a baby in the back seat, when i saw the dad walking out it took every ounce of self control not to yell at him, and his kid was still in a infant carrier so it would be easy to bring them in anyway (compared to a wiggley toddler)

It just breaks my heart. I'm a one handed paremt so I can't take DS in/out of the car while trying to totewhatever I have from doing errands. The crap I bought can wait, my DS is way morte important. He's out of the car & into the apt first & put into either his pack-n-play or crib so he's safely contained while I run back out to the car to get whatever. If my DH is home I call as I"m pulling in & he meets me out at the car to get DS. If the whatever I bought can wait in the car then I just call DH & ask him to get it out of my car when he gets home. There are many MANU+Y ways to avoid this situation. But mostly, I wonder, how in the world can you just "forget" about your precious child (and even your pet)?

lisa02.gif
RF in Cosco Scenerea in 1999 Vitara & RF in FPSVD in 2004 Optima

4xMommy

Oh, no...I was just thinking earlier today that I don't hear many reports like that anymore...thinking about how good that was...

My heart just breaks for this family, and that tiny angel, poor thing didn't even know what was happening!

I will say many prayers for them

MomToEliEm

There was an incident in our town just last year involving a fireman. His wife typically dropped the kids off at the sitter, but one of these days, he was suppose to do it. He was on training in another town that week during the day he said that the change of routine distracted him and he forgot that he had a baby in the back seat. He was in in firefighting training and realized he had forgotten to drop the baby off at the sitters. He raced back to the car, but it was too late.

He was truely heartbroken over the incident and just didn't think he would ever let this happen to him. He was a firefighter so he should know the dangers, but the routine change just caused him to loose track of what he was suppose to do.

Even if you think you would never do it, it can still happen. Most likely it isn't the primary cargiver that has the issue (they usually know the routine about watching out for kids). It is most often when the other parent takes over watching the children when problems occur since they are not as used to taking kids places.

Men need to put their briefcases in the backseat whenever they have their kids in the car. Women should put their purses back there. Maybe the one parent should always give a phone call to the other parent when they drop them off just to ensure the dropoff occured. Whatever works should be done. These kids don't deserved to die in a hot car.

chloespurple

Senior Community Member
I could not bring myself to read the article. It breaks my heart thinking about it.

But mostly, I wonder, how in the world can you just "forget" about your precious child (and even your pet)?
I totally agree I can not believe how some pet owners don't give a second thought to leaving their pets in the car on hot days. They would never sit in a car with no air in 100 degree weather, but yet it is okay for the dog:mad: . Makes me sick. Our Goldens are our babies too & I would NEVER do that to them.

There was an incident in our town just last year involving a fireman. His wife typically dropped the kids off at the sitter, but one of these days, he was suppose to do it. He was on training in another town that week during the day he said that the change of routine distracted him and he forgot that he had a baby in the back seat. He was in in firefighting training and realized he had forgotten to drop the baby off at the sitters. He raced back to the car, but it was too late.
Wow, I am speechless. Poor precious baby & poor man, it is soooo scary to think about this. He will have to live with this for the rest of his life, so sad.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
with all of the reports i hear about children being left in cars, its usually by a parent who follows a routine DAILY, and one day that routine gets messed up, and for whatever reason they think they did take the child to daycare, or to grandmas, or whereever. its really sad, but i wouldnt put it past any parent. were all human.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
with all of the reports i hear about children being left in cars, its usually by a parent who follows a routine DAILY, and one day that routine gets messed up, and for whatever reason they think they did take the child to daycare, or to grandmas, or whereever. its really sad, but i wouldnt put it past any parent. were all human.

I agree it's often a change in routine or caregivers that can lead to a tragedy of this sort.:( :crying: One sad exception comes to mind, though. A few years ago, there was an awful case in this area where a mom left her two little ones in her parked car for several hours in front of a salon while she had her hair done on a hot summer's day. The kids sadly died of hyperthermia :mad: and the mom tried to cover up what had happened by claiming she'd been carjacked and the kids were missing. Her story quickly crumbled and she confessed to leaving them in the car. Prosecutors wanted to charge her with first degree murder but I believe she plea bargained to a second degree or manslaughter charge based on news articles at http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/3680594/detail.html

So sad that little ones paid the ultimate price in these cases. :(

littleangelfire

Believe it or not, I can totally see my stepdad doing something like this. He is is the epitome of forgetful and even sometimes, illogical, thinking things aren't a big deal or harmful when they are. He leaves knives laying on the counter (I go check the kitchen every time he leaves it), leaves tools down, forgets how to buckle/unbuckle the kids, part of it probably comes from age, but he's not old, he's 50something!! I think most of it comes from being from an underdeveloped country. He's from Costa Rica, where they don't worry about much safety-wise. He just doesn't think dangerous stuff really happens that often or that you have to be doing something actively wrong, and just bbeing inactive isn't dangerous.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC