Warmest Fleece Coats 2011!

mimieliza

My DD has worn the heck out of this fleece jacket from REI:

701657964_n5aN7-M.jpg

We got it just before her 3rd birthday, and she wore it through last spring (age 4 1/2) - a full two winters of use. Not bad for a $40 jacket!

It was WARM. And waterproof (in snow, not rain, but that worked for our climate - note the leaves on the trees in the above picture - our first snowfall that year was October 4). And PERFECT for carseat travel.

So now I'm looking for a new, equally wonderful jacket - this time for both kids. I'll probably get DD a 6/7 for growing room, 2T or 3T for DS.

I found this at REI.com - I'm wondering if this is this season's version of what DD had:
http://www.rei.com/product/815984/rei-salish-fleece-jacket-girls

I'm not sure about DS, I'm looking at this jacket, but I'm worried that the fleece would be too "fluffy," making it not great for the carseat:
http://www.rei.com/product/816021/rei-snowy-creek-fleece-jacket-toddler-boys
But look at the little hat:
http://www.rei.com/product/825630/rei-snowy-creek-tri-top-hat-toddler-boys

So what are you finding for good fleece coats this year?

ADS

mimieliza

Yeah, I was looking at Lands End, too. It is hard because fleece varies so much in its functionality. I can't tell whether the Land's End fleece would be warm enough, and at least with REI I can go see the stuff at the store.

If Lands End runs wide, though, it might be good for my chunky little guy. I think I'm probably going to go for the REI jacket I linked to above for Miranda, especially since there's now a 20% off coupon code: FALL4MEM.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I was a bit agog at seeing a kid in a fleece jacket in the snow...I forgot what normal temps are like :eek:

QuasEE just posted a coupon for REI :)

bnsnyde

I bought the North Face Denali. It has extra wind-proof stuff. Thin all over. People say it's warm.

Given Chicago is supposed to get an awful winter, there is no warm in my book. But maybe it'll do the trick for short trips.

300 was the fleece rating #, for what that's worth.

daniele_ut

DD has a Thermacheck 300 Fleece Jacket from Lands End and it's definitely warm and windproof. She wore it all last winter and it still fits well.

jolynn6

I live in Indiana what would u suggest? Hubbys havin a cow over this no coat thing can 200 or 300 be used to play in snow as well?

Holly

We always get the system jackets from Walmart or Target.
They are two separate jackets that zip and snap together to make a big warm coat. They wear both together for playing in the snow or being outside a long time or just one jacket separately for in the car seat. They are each thin enough on their own to not interfere with the straps but they are warm.
The inner jackets have fleece on the inside, those are the ones they wear in the cold part of winter. The outer part is more like a light jacket/wind breaker. They are wearing those parts right now.

mimieliza

Fwiw, she also has a super puffy down coat for snow play and sledding. It just isnt practical for day to day use because it doesn't work in the car.

I was able to check out the rei coats - the girls one I linked looked awesome - same quality as her old fleece coat. The baby boy one was super soft, but I don't think the fleece would be warm enough - it was a looser weave that would let the wind through. I'm going to have to explore lands end.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC