Which Seat for Grandparents? (CANADA)

bbartlettnfld

What seat for Grandparents?

DS is watched by my parents every day, my mother finds the Radian much too difficult to adjust (I find it difficult to tighten as well)

I am in Canada so that will narrow my seat choices.

DS is 45lbs, 3 yrs old and has a 14inch torso (35cm) (bum to shoulder-seems small I guess he is all legs as he's over 39inches (100cms tall) He's had to be FF for ages due to weight!

Anyway Any Recommendations? I'm guess I am mostly looking for a very smooth harness adjustment. Harness to booster would be best.

BethAnn

ADS

emandbri

Re: What seat for Grandparents?

The nautilus has a smooth harness adjuster but my MIL has trouble unbuckling it so I give her the radian when she takes Elizabeth. I have the old buckle, the new one might be easier.

There are some new seats coming out soon but I don't know if they will be in canada or not, the evenflo one looks cool, I don't recall its name.

Good Luck!

amelia222

As of right now your option are Nautilus or Frontier if you want it to booster as well. But for less than half the price you can get a Triumph that will harness him until booster age. That plus a HB turbo is going to be the most economical right now.

bbartlettnfld

Harness to booster probably isn't 100% important, I tend to like a dedicated booster anyway.

I've never considered the Triumph as I had a bad CS experience with my DD's Evenflo seat 8 yrs ago. And my parents still have the same car! I'll have to take DS to TRU and try it out.

What about a Complete Air?

Last edited:

bbartlettnfld

Any one here have any recommendations? SO far I'va had the Nauti, Frontier and Triumph as recommendations.

I need smooth harness adjustment for my mother with weakness in her arm, the tug tug tug of the Radian is too difficult.

Was also thinking of the Evenflo symphony, or momentum?

DS is 45lbs and 39ins (~103 cm) will be 4 in 2 months. Not booster ready!

Last edited by a moderator:

featherhead

What is his torso height? The Momentum does not go as high as the Triumph. I think the Symphony is also about the same as the Momentum. Personally I would go Nautilus. That is about the smoothest pull I have encountered yet:) I think they are on sale right now at toysrus.ca.

featherhead

I measured his torso at 14ins but I think he was slouching he has about an 1.5ins to go before he hits the top slot in the Radian.

I'd probably skip the Momentum and Symphony then, as he'd probably have barely any room. Nauti, or Triumph would both be good options. I don't know what it's like to tighten a Complete Air.

I find both the Nauti and Triumph very easy to install, and actually I think the Triumph is also on sale at toysrus.ca

V

VanIsleMommy

I don't know exactly which models but some evenflo models have a knob on the side, my MIL specifically looked for a car seat with that feature when she was looking because she found it easiest. I don't know if that helps or not.

canadiangie

Has your mom tried tightening the harness before she inserts the buckle tongues? It's so much easier... basically it's a smooth pull, not a tug tug tug. I can't recall the last time I tightened a RN with the buckle tongues inserted...heck even my kids find it easier/comfier when I leave the buckle tongues unbuckled while tightening. Maybe suggest she tries it, you never know. :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
featherhead said:
I'd probably skip the Momentum and Symphony then, as he'd probably have barely any room. Nauti, or Triumph would both be good options. I don't know what it's like to tighten a Complete Air.

I find both the Nauti and Triumph very easy to install, and actually I think the Triumph is also on sale at toysrus.ca

The momentum and symphony are about 16 to 16.5" harness height. For a child with a 14" torso that's plenty of room. However, with 1.5" to the top slots, his torso is likely mire like 15.5" which would mean limited time.

That being said, they're expensive for a seat that will never be used rf'ing. The generations 65 is economical and has the tightening knobs. They've improved the harness release mechanism as well. the maestro is smooth for tightening as well, though I've found the new evenflo chest clips more difficult to open.

Complete air is smooth, but not as smooth as the nautilus. The nautilus is likely the easiest and smoothest of all.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

(id originally been thinking he was 1.5" before needing to move up to the top slots. On re-reading I realize I misunderstood. I'd rule out the generations, but the maestro would probably be fine still.)

tam_shops

Maestro only has harness to 47# in Canada and I think I read he was already 45#, so skip that.

I certainly like the price on that Evenflo one, wouldn't have even thought of that (what's the harness height on it?) Doesn't it have those roller things which people love/hate for adjusting the harness? There was one Evenflo seat I tried that had them and my hands weren't strong enough to make them work. So, get her to try.

Think that gets you back to the Nautilus or Frontier.

I've seen the Frontier a few places (in the last few weeks, so likely gone, but can't hurt to call around and/or search online for the Canadian retailers) for one at $240. Though, it has a ratchet style harness adjuster like the Radian does. Personally, I rarely adjust my harness straps. I try to leave them and then just check my boys when I get them in/out.

tam

bbartlettnfld

I also rarely adjust my harness straps but the weather is nuts here right now, in one day you could wear 3 different coats! So in rotation he has a wind breaker, sweater and winter coat all worn at least 3 times this week! They tend to take him a lot of places so he's in and out of the car quite a bit.

I still don't know which one to get, I'm leaning toward the triumph right now as it has the highest harness limit and even walmart has it for a little over 100$. I'll take DS around this weekend and see what he fits in the best.

BethAnn

snowbird25ca

Maestro only has harness to 47# in Canada and I think I read he was already 45#, so skip that.

I certainly like the price on that Evenflo one, wouldn't have even thought of that (what's the harness height on it?) Doesn't it have those roller things which people love/hate for adjusting the harness? There was one Evenflo seat I tried that had them and my hands weren't strong enough to make them work. So, get her to try.

Think that gets you back to the Nautilus or Frontier.

tam

Thanks for the reminder Tam. I was obviously half asleep when I posted that. :eek:

OP - the Nautilus is on sale online at TRU right now too - I think it's $151?

bbartlettnfld

I tried DS in the Triumph, the Momentum 65, Complete Air, Frontier & Nautilus. He had growing room in all of them except the Momentum but only because the SIP totally squashed him!

He didn't like any of them except the Nautilus so I ordered the Wilkes fabric of the TRU website which came to $189 better than the $259 in store price though I'm not sure I'm going to love the Wilkes fabric. Oh well!

I'm hoping that the harness with continue to be easy to adjust when installed in the vehicle.

tam_shops

TRU website has it as $167, call and get them to do a price correction, they have that price protection thing, don't they? If not, I'd return and re-order, do they have free shipping, got a kid screaming in my ear...

The Wilkes is a really nice brown, if you *like* brown. Oh, the trouble I just went through to get a grey one! LOL

tam

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

I tried DS in the Triumph, the Momentum 65, Complete Air, Frontier & Nautilus. He had growing room in all of them except the Momentum but only because the SIP totally squashed him!

He didn't like any of them except the Nautilus so I ordered the Wilkes fabric of the TRU website which came to $189 better than the $259 in store price though I'm not sure I'm going to love the Wilkes fabric. Oh well!

I'm hoping that the harness with continue to be easy to adjust when installed in the vehicle.

The Wilkes fabric is actually nice - it's not mesh-like the way that most of the other fabrics are. While I haven't had major snag issues with my cover, I think this will be even more resistant to them, and it's fairly soft.

Tam - BRU doesn't price match in store with online prices. Online prices are now frequently cheaper when things are on sale because you can collect airmiles in store but not online. Part of that total will also be shipping because $20 shipping is taken off but there's usually about 6 to 8 dollars left afterwards depending on the area of Canada it's shipping to. (Rural areas would be higher than that typically.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC