Best Price Frontier 85? Which fabrics are plush?

Athena

I don't see a current thread on this. I found them for about 212-225 (depending on fabric) at albee and amazon. Anything better, especially with good return policy?

Also, I remember a lot of the 80s were mesh fabric. What are the current fabrics like? I'd prefer something plush (she'll be moving out of a very plush Britax convertible) and it must wear well.

Thanks!

ADS

Athena

Cow is plush. Livia is a slick material. I like both.

By slick, do you mean smooth? Not potentially sticky slick in hot humid weather though, right? I like the bright pink. (Although that's not the color my girls would pick if I gave them the choice.)

Athena

Any other fabric feedback? Do the other colors still have the mesh that I've read does not wear well? Is the cow the only plush? Thank you!

Athena

cow is the only plush. Onyx and maui blue are also non-mesh.

Thanks! DD got really sad about selling her RA55. She loves it and was genuinely distraught, so we need a nice replacement.

Are the Maui blue, Livia, and Onyx all the same fabric type. I like the blue and pink colors (and think DD would too), but I think I did not like the feel of the onyx when I saw one in person. I think they might have the classic seat at our target in onyx so I could feel it again to see, if it does have the same feel. :)

Although I know it's very popular, I'm not a fan of the cow, so, although we might end up with that in the end, I really want to explore the other options. Of course, this is all assuming I can learn to install it in our car. :rolleyes: (I will be sad if after all this, the seat and I are not compatible for installation.)

2BunniesMommy

The Maui looks like mesh but really is not. I have only heard that one here, never have seen or felt one in person. The Livia is a nice fabric. I really like it. It is not plush at all, but not sweaty. The biggest problem with the 80s and the mesh is in the front of the seat where shoes often rub and often with velcro. They have fixed that issue for the
85s and don't have mesh in that area even on the mesh seats. I have a Red Rock and even though the majority of the seat is mesh, it is doing great. I have not had it long, but don't expect it to get like my Pink Sky 80 original cover. They also made a couple options of non mesh in the foot area for those and I was able to get one and it is holding up great. So, as long and there is not mesh on the front of the seat I don't think mesh is a big deal.

Athena

Thanks for all the feedback!

Am I remembering correctly that you have a daisy nautilus? Is the Livia that kind of smooth fabric? We like that! :)

I'm going to try to get by a couple stores today with car seats to see if I can see anything relevant in person.

Jessica61624

Athena said:
Thanks for all the feedback!

Am I remembering correctly that you have a daisy nautilus? Is the Livia that kind of smooth fabric? We like that! :)

I'm going to try to get by a couple stores today with car seats to see if I can see anything relevant in person.

It's more like a windbreaker jacket material.

Athena

It's more like a windbreaker jacket material.

Ah, that makes sense. That doesn't sound bad at all, just very different than anything we've had, so I'll have to think about it. It sounds like it'd be nice in summer, but maybe a bit colder in winter (and my brain is on the upcoming winter right now ;)).

ETA: at least colder than the plush fabrics, but those could get a bit warm in summer so the real solution is to have lots of fun covers. :) If only I could afford to do that.

Athena

Still having no luck seeing anything in person, but I did see/feel an onyx parkway today. Kinda reminded me of windbreaker fabric. :) Does the Livia feel anything like that or is it even smoother? So frustrating to have no IRL selection around here. I really appreciate all the help!

thtr4me

I absolutely LOVE the blue Maui fabric. I would say it feels fairly close to a cotton canvas fabric that has been washed and broken in. DS is a huge fan of soft and plush, so finding the right fabric was difficult with him. I did not like any of the more slick fabrics at all, and the mesh was not an option for us. Cowmoo was really nice feeling as well (soft but not as plush as Cowmoo in the infant seat), and I let DS pick between the blue and the cow.

Athena

That does sound nice! Having second thoughts now ... I already ordered cowmoo, but had only felt/seen it on the convertibles and I only got it for its plushness because I would prefer a color, so I hope I am not terribly disappointed. If we really like it, we might get 2 so maybe for the other one.

Why don't stores carry any of the other fabrics (instead of just the mesh, usually in tan)? :(

thtr4me

We got lucky and the store we went to had a little sample book of all the Britax fabrics. I definitely preferred the feel of the cowmoo, but DS liked the blue better.

If I had my way though, I would steal the Flora fabric from Radian for my Frontier!

thtr4me

A place called Right Start, so kinda boutiqish (is that even a word?). Smaller chain store. I would imagine most places that are not a big box type store would have them, although I would imagine Babies R Us might have them if you ask.

Athena

Thanks! Have you ordered there? I'm not familiar with them, but that's a great price! I did already order one on amazon (needed free returns option anyway), but if we love it (and I sell enough;)), we may get a second one, so this is still good to know about for us (and anyone else who is looking and sees this).

Athena

Reporting back in case this is helpful to anyone else -

Bought the cowmoo Frontier 85 at Amazon for $223.99. We have prime so it was here in two days. I was hoping the DOM was not too old, but was shocked and thrilled to see it had been manufactured just 14 days earlier!!! Very happy with our purchase!

DD is happy with the plush cowmoo fabric, so that means we are happy. ;) It is probably not quite as cushioned as their younger seats, but still quite plush and cozy.

ashuva

DD is happy with the plush cowmoo fabric, so that means we are happy. ;) It is probably not quite as cushioned as their younger seats, but still quite plush and cozy.

We live in a VERY hot climate in the summer. Would cowmoo be the best bet? I'm trying to find the fabric that will keep our daughter the coolest. We have a Snugride 35 currently and it seems to really heat up fast!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC