Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question Suggestions PLEASE - affordable convertible for TALL one year old?

Hi everyone
    I'm new here. My one year old daughter Ivyana is already nearly 32 inches tall but just 20 lbs so she's long and lean. I need to get a convertible carseat that will allow her to RF for as long as possible, but I have a pretty tight budget right now so I can't get my Radian XTSL. I'm basically looking for an affordable but safe option until I have the funds to get something better. A few of the ones at the store had RF height limits of only 29 inches so obviously those won't work but I can't afford a Radian or a Britax until I find a new job. But she is about to outgrow her infant seat any day now so I need something pretty quick and as cheap as possible while still ensuring her safety. I'm hoping you can share your infinite wisdom with me - I've been checking different seats one by one but am having a hard time finding anything reasonably priced that she will fit in. Any and all advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Suggestions PLEASE - affordable convertible for TALL one year old?

She should have growing room in the Cosco Scenera. It has a 34in minimum requirement for forward facing. This won't be a long term seat for her, but it should work for now and keep her safe.

Another option would be the Evenflo Triumph 65 or the First Years True Fit. The True Fit might be a better option that the Radian since you need the height of a tall shell and not the higher weight limit of the Radian.

Melanie

CPS Technician
    Look at the scerena. Our kids have all been long torsoed and made it to just over 2y RF in a scerena. Its a cheap, but great seat.

Or check out the truefit. It has a taller shell then the raidans.

I would also try the complete air.

I would skip Britax seats for a tall kid.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

CPS Fanatic
    You could also buy a Scenera for now and start saving money. The Sunshine Kids seats hopefully will go on sale soon as the Dino line is released. You may be able to get a seat cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitsmom View Post
    You could also buy a Scenera for now and start saving money. The Sunshine Kids seats hopefully will go on sale soon as the Dino line is released. You may be able to get a seat cheap.
    This is what I would do. The Scenera will give you plenty of growing room and time to save up.
    DD1 10.5y/o seatbelt
    DD2 8y/o 45" 52lbs. backless
    DS 7y/o 51" 58lbs. ProBooster or backless

CPS Fanatic
    I have a very tall child, shes nearly 3 and 42 inches, so the 100th %. She outgrew the Scenera around age 2, but I had 35lb versions. She has a Britax Marathon for her primary seat, and is about half an inch from outgrowing it, I would suggest the SKR or Dino seats.

Thanks So much everyone, this has been very helpful. I think I will just get a scenera for now and get something better as soon as I can afford to and then I will just give the scenera to my mom for when she has her until she outgrows it. I saw them at target but was worried they seemed a bit flimsy without the foam. I have an orbit infant seat so I'm used to something sturdier I guess. I will check them out some more. The truefit also looks like a good option so I will try to find a good deal on one of those and maybe just get that instead if I can find a bargain. Thanks again so much!

CPS Fanatic
    Why not sell your Orbit and get whatever seat you want then?

I still use the toddler seat on the stroller base and I didn't think anyone would want to buy the infant carseat without the stroller base. So I figured we would just use it again for our next baby since it will still have several years before expiring. I got the orbit system during my pregnancy, when I had a great job. Then my wife went into kidney failure and is now on permanent disability and I got laid off unexpectedly so I'm on unemployment and our budget is much tighter until I find some work

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

You can also look a the graco myride 65. Goes on sale at walmart for 130 or so often. I also had a very tall, slender child at 32 inches and 22 pounds at 1. She hit 32 pounds by 2 and she would have outgrown the scenera by height rear facing (1 inch below the shell) by 15-18 months because of her long torso.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-MyRi...uddle/15642055

Not sure what you were thinking budget wise, but it is a very good option that has a decent shell height (as tall or taller than the new britax seats) and a 40 pound rf limit. It is worth a look
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

Do you have an exact budget in mind?

For around $150 (possibly less - depending on where you go), you can get a Graco MyRide. It's a pretty easy install, comfortable, has a generous shell height, good leg room, and a 40 lb RF weight limit...that should get your DD quite a bit of time.
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500