Suggestions PLEASE - affordable convertible for TALL one year old?

ivyanasmamas

Hi everyone :D
I'm new here. My one year old daughter Ivyana is already nearly 32 inches tall but just 20 lbs so she's long and lean. I need to get a convertible carseat that will allow her to RF for as long as possible, but I have a pretty tight budget right now :( so I can't get my Radian XTSL. I'm basically looking for an affordable but safe option until I have the funds to get something better. A few of the ones at the store had RF height limits of only 29 inches so obviously those won't work but I can't afford a Radian or a Britax until I find a new job. But she is about to outgrow her infant seat any day now so I need something pretty quick and as cheap as possible while still ensuring her safety. I'm hoping you can share your infinite wisdom with me - I've been checking different seats one by one but am having a hard time finding anything reasonably priced that she will fit in. Any and all advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

ADS

Jan06twinmom

She should have growing room in the Cosco Scenera. It has a 34in minimum requirement for forward facing. This won't be a long term seat for her, but it should work for now and keep her safe.

Another option would be the Evenflo Triumph 65 or the First Years True Fit. The True Fit might be a better option that the Radian since you need the height of a tall shell and not the higher weight limit of the Radian.

Melanie

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Look at the scerena. Our kids have all been long torsoed and made it to just over 2y RF in a scerena. Its a cheap, but great seat.

Or check out the truefit. It has a taller shell then the raidans.

I would also try the complete air.

I would skip Britax seats for a tall kid.

Kaitsmom

You could also buy a Scenera for now and start saving money. The Sunshine Kids seats hopefully will go on sale soon as the Dino line is released. You may be able to get a seat cheap.

firemomof3

You could also buy a Scenera for now and start saving money. The Sunshine Kids seats hopefully will go on sale soon as the Dino line is released. You may be able to get a seat cheap.

This is what I would do. The Scenera will give you plenty of growing room and time to save up. :)

Kaitsmom

I have a very tall child, shes nearly 3 and 42 inches, so the 100th %. She outgrew the Scenera around age 2, but I had 35lb versions. She has a Britax Marathon for her primary seat, and is about half an inch from outgrowing it, I would suggest the SKR or Dino seats.

ivyanasmamas

Thanks So much everyone, this has been very helpful. I think I will just get a scenera for now and get something better as soon as I can afford to and then I will just give the scenera to my mom for when she has her until she outgrows it. I saw them at target but was worried they seemed a bit flimsy without the foam. I have an orbit infant seat so I'm used to something sturdier I guess. I will check them out some more. The truefit also looks like a good option so I will try to find a good deal on one of those and maybe just get that instead if I can find a bargain. Thanks again so much!

ivyanasmamas

I still use the toddler seat on the stroller base and I didn't think anyone would want to buy the infant carseat without the stroller base. So I figured we would just use it again for our next baby since it will still have several years before expiring. I got the orbit system during my pregnancy, when I had a great job. Then my wife went into kidney failure and is now on permanent disability and I got laid off unexpectedly so I'm on unemployment and our budget is much tighter until I find some work :(

Jennifer mom to my 7

You can also look a the graco myride 65. Goes on sale at walmart for 130 or so often. I also had a very tall, slender child at 32 inches and 22 pounds at 1. She hit 32 pounds by 2 and she would have outgrown the scenera by height rear facing (1 inch below the shell) by 15-18 months because of her long torso.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-MyRide-65-Convertible-Car-Seat-Cuddle/15642055

Not sure what you were thinking budget wise, but it is a very good option that has a decent shell height (as tall or taller than the new britax seats) and a 40 pound rf limit. It is worth a look :)

luckyclov

Do you have an exact budget in mind?

For around $150 (possibly less - depending on where you go), you can get a Graco MyRide. It's a pretty easy install, comfortable, has a generous shell height, good leg room, and a 40 lb RF weight limit...that should get your DD quite a bit of time.:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC