Anyone have a child that five stepped at 8y?

AtTheSouthDam

DD1 does in the middle and back row of the van. Feet flat, shoulder belt on shoulder, lap belt on hips. She's 55" and 90lbs. She's wanting to ride without the booster. If the child fits in the belt is there any reason to continue to use the booster? Was it something about the illiac (sp?) crest is the hip?

BTW, do to this last spurt she can no longer sit boostered in DH's civic. They all put her ears over the head rest in the back seat. Do we booster in the front or boosterless in the back?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Right, until she either outgrows the booster, or enters puberty, I'd continue to use the booster to give her hips support during a crash. Let the booster take some of the forces.

I'd do whichever in the Civic makes you feel better. If the belt fit isn't too bad I'd probably do in the back, but if it's terrible I'd do booster in the front.

Wendy

NannyMom

I have a borrowed kid that 5 stepped at 8yrs. I made the choice to let her sit w/o a booster because she actually sat still better. But she wasn't booster trained like all our kids are here ;)

AtTheSouthDam

Thank you. I found she's rather attached to her booster anyway, the AMP that is. It was the harmony she wants to get rid of. She's complaining it's squishy. With booster's it's not horrible to go over the weight? She'll likely hit 100# soon. I'll find out Friday how accurate my scale is but she went from 80# to 90# over the summer and the AMP's limit is 100#

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For an eight year old I would make the parental decision to use a booster over the weight limit, but I'd try hard to get another that went higher.

Wendy

firemomof3

DD1 5 steps in the 3rd row of my Sedona :eek: I couldn't believe it but she was actually the one that discovered it. I also explained that she would need to stay in a booster for at least another year. She wasn't thrilled but is happy she can be in a backless at least :rolleyes:

mkmama

I'm pretty sure DS1 will 5 step in the middle of our van well before 8, possibly around 7.5 or earlier -- he's scarily close at 6.5!

AtTheSouthDam

Well, it's great to hear she's not that unusual to five step in a mini van at a young age. Those seat back there are small. I won't even put adults in the third row as DD1's feet sit flat WITH a booster. It was the shoulder belt she had to grow into. She wanted to try the front seat but she's light years from fitting there. She's just growing so fast. I'm so happy my younger daughter grows slow enough to get substantial use from her carseats :p

Kat_Momof3

my oldest did... but he's now 5'6.5" and 137lbs at only age 11 (and his shoe size matches his age)

keep in mind he is OVER the 100th percentile for height and he was already in the very early stages of puberty, too (already needing deoderant)

He had outgrown his booster in my van, so there we were.

in my dh's 2-door, he passed in the center (and unlike his brother, he's leggy, so the tops of his ears were below the top of the seat), so, as it was a very tight 3-across, that bought us some room.

If your daughter fits the booster and you don't NEED the extra space losing it would give, then I would keep her in it until it's outgrown.

AtTheSouthDam

my oldest did... but he's now 5'6.5" and 137lbs at only age 11 (and his shoe size matches his age)

keep in mind he is OVER the 100th percentile for height and he was already in the very early stages of puberty, too (already needing deoderant)

He had outgrown his booster in my van, so there we were.

in my dh's 2-door, he passed in the center (and unlike his brother, he's leggy, so the tops of his ears were below the top of the seat), so, as it was a very tight 3-across, that bought us some room.

If your daughter fits the booster and you don't NEED the extra space losing it would give, then I would keep her in it until it's outgrown.

Most of the time she fits in the middle row with the booster but sometimes she needs to sit in the back where she is on the last click of the headrest and this ** close to outgrowing it. So it may become a sometimes no booster thing. :( It would also allow me to put a FF harnessed seat back there now as I won't have to fit a booster next to it.

And she's the same way. 8 years old, off the charts and wears deodorant, getting buds,etc. She's starting or will start puberty early and I'm not ready for it. I should be knowing the genetics (both sides started early for the girls) but I'm not :(

It just feels so odd to be on this board where people start talking about moving their 8 yo to NBB and mine is out growing them in some seating positions!

agurlsride

It just feels so odd to be on this board where people start talking about moving their 8 yo to NBB and mine is out growing them in some seating positions![/QUOTE said:
Don't feel odd, I feel weird having an almost 12yr old boy who is nowhere near 4'9" yet

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Our kids were 7-8y in our van. In our extended cab truck it was like 6y. Our suburban was more 8-9y.

So not out there. I would keep her in the booster in the van. Do what you like best in the car. Either will work, neither is perfect. Is a tall high backed booster an option?

AtTheSouthDam

Our kids were 7-8y in our van. In our extended cab truck it was like 6y. Our suburban was more 8-9y.

So not out there. I would keep her in the booster in the van. Do what you like best in the car. Either will work, neither is perfect. Is a tall high backed booster an option?

She out grew the Monterey over a month ago and it seems that none of the booster choices give her much more room :( I'd love to get her a Frontier but I waffle on it so much after owning a Regent. I like my easy to install ProSports.

Kat_Momof3

I feel weird having a 7.5yr old who is only 4' tall and is now at the 45th percentile for height... I was always a head taller than the boys... I had a bra (not just training bra) by 8yrs old... I was my full height in Jr. High...

my daughter is either getting her height super slow and/or is just going to be petite (more like my sister, my grandma, half the women on my side of the family, and almost all of the women on dh's side)

Jeffrey is what I expected... on the taller side of average for height and weight...

Damian is just exceeding it all by either doing it all even faster than I did (his voice is almost completely changed and he's not even 12), and/or he's going to be REALLY tall. I feel bad for him because he grows so fast that between that and his special needs, his coordination has been HORRIBLE... he's getting a lot more coordinated and graceful, though... as he's no longer growing MORE than 3" a year... now he's only (like you can say only with this number) about 2-3" a year.

scoutingbear

A almost 5 steps in the 3rd row of the Highlander. If the darn shoulder belt didn't come from the ceiling, he would 5 step. His feet are flat on the floor back there even with a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC