HOnda and the 40pound Latch limit

ADS

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Yep, Honda has a 40lbs lower anchor limit. Once your child reaches 40lbs you then need to start using the vehicle seatbelt to secure his car seat if he is in a higher weight limit carseat.

twokidstwodogs

Since she's a tech and has liability issues to worry about, Jen_nah may not be allowed to tell you this.....

....but many of us who own Hondas have chosen to use the top tether anchors beyond 40 lbs, on the grounds that (a) it's probably fine beyond 40 lbs and (b) even an inadequate tether would likely be helpful in a crash. When our older daughter hit 40 lbs, we switched to seatbelt installation for her Marathon, but kept using the top tether. I will do the same for my younger one.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Since she's a tech and has liability issues to worry about, Jen_nah may not be allowed to tell you this.....

....but many of us who own Hondas have chosen to use the top tether anchors beyond 40 lbs, on the grounds that (a) it's probably fine beyond 40 lbs and (b) even an inadequate tether would likely be helpful in a crash. When our older daughter hit 40 lbs, we switched to seatbelt installation for her Marathon, but kept using the top tether. I will do the same for my younger one.

I didn't say LATCH I said lower anchors. That I didn't imply to the poster to stop using the top tether.

But, I too am using my top tether past my vehicles posted limits but I have stopped using my lower anchors and now install dd#1 MA with the vehicle seatbelt. She still has a few lbs before she hits the lower anchor limits. But, I didn't want to have to stay on top of her weight.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Use of Lower Anchors must be discontinued when the weight limit dictated by the manufacturer is reached. If the anchors, connectors or straps were to fail because the weight limit was exceeded, the seat's ability to protect its occupant would be severely compromised.

Top tethers are a different animal altogether. Top tethers rarely fail catastrophically, and even when they do "fail" because the weight limit was exceeded, they still tend to improve the performance of the seat compared to not tethering at all. In fact, it could be argued that tethering is more critical for heavier children than for those under 40 lb. There are no documented cases of injury due to tether failure, so the risk associated with tethering beyond 40 lb/48 lb, seems to be minimal.

Here's what the 2007 LATCH Manual has to say about the matter, page 59 (this is a long one, so please excuse any typos):
...A tether reduces head movement in a frontal crash, and this third point of restraint is considered to be increasingly beneficial for children at higher weights and heights.

The likelihood of a tether failing completely when anchoring a HWH-CR occupied by a child weighing more than 40 pounds is considered highly unlikely and has not been seen in real-world crashes. If the anchor, tether hook, strap, or connection to the CR were to fail, it would do so late in the crash sequence. It already would have restricted forward motion of the top of the CR significantly while still attached, absorbing crash energy in the process of deforming, stretching, and/or breaking. Both would result in considerably reduced head excursion compared to what would happen if the CR were not tethered...

It should be noted that in the few documented cases of tether failure in extreme dynamic tests, it has often been the hook or the connection point to the child restraint that has failed, not the anchor itself. Tests of a tethered CR for FMVSS 213 is considered severe, as the tether anchor on the sled bench is much more rigid that <sic> is likely in an actual vehicle. In the real world, the sheet metal around the anchor would bend under severe conditions, absorbing some additional crash forces.

Furthermore, the very slim risk of a tether pulling out in a extremely severe crash should be seen in relation to the substantial benefit of reduced head excursion due to tether use in much more common, lower force crashes as well as more severe crashes. Some manufacturers express concern about the rare event in which tether hook or anchor hardware might pull out completely and fly forward, still attached to the tether strap, possibly hitting the child or another passenger. Although this is a theoretical possibility, the very low probability of this happening, combined with the relatively minor injury potential from such hardware when compared to other injury-producing effects of such a severe crash if the seat were not tethered-needs to be weighed along with the more probable benefits of the tether. As with some other "warnings" issued by manufacturers, this may be intended to cover all possible injury scenarios that might confront them in court rather than to provide realistic advice.

twokidstwodogs

Yep, Honda has a 40lbs lower anchor limit. Once your child reaches 40lbs you then need to start using the vehicle seatbelt to secure his car seat if he is in a higher weight limit carseat.

Jenny, I know from reading these boards that the Honda top tether anchor can safely go beyond 40 lbs, but do you know whether Honda has said so? If I remember correctly, our Honda manual said that the LATCH limit was 40 lbs. But maybe I'm wrong and they just said lower anchors? It doesn't change what I'll do when DD hits that weight, but I'm curious.

Paperdragon

I was told by (I think his name was Greg, I'll look it up) at Honda Central-the national 1-800 number to that the tethers had been tested to "much higher weights" and to continue to use the top tether on my 97 CR-V until my daughter reached the weight limit of the Regent (and yes, he knew it was an 80 lb weight limit).

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Jenny, I know from reading these boards that the Honda top tether anchor can safely go beyond 40 lbs, but do you know whether Honda has said so? If I remember correctly, our Honda manual said that the LATCH limit was 40 lbs. But maybe I'm wrong and they just said lower anchors? It doesn't change what I'll do when DD hits that weight, but I'm curious.

They will most likely tell you to follow your vehicles owners manual to cover their rears. That is what most vehicle manufactures will tell all parents. Ulrike posted above great information on top tethers. This is going to be a parental decision for sure. In our vehicles the top tether limits are 40lbs (lower anchors are 48lbs ODD! about different limits) and both my girls are over the 40lb mark and their seats will remain top tethered. I rather risk the top tether breaking after it's done it's job then not have it and a spinal injury occuring. But, This is my parental decision and one I made after much research.

thepote

thank you...once he hits 40 pounds i will switch to seatbelt and top tether anchor..

Just checking because I didn't see it mentioned... is your DS in a HWH car seat with a weight limit over 40lbs? If not you'll need a new seat at that point if you want to keep him harnessed. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC