light kids and backless boosters

fyrfightermomma

So I have a dilemma. E is crazy tall. Pushing 48-49" and wears a size 8 shirt. The problem is she is uber light. Between 38-40 lbs and has been that way for about a year. She just doesn't gain. I'm used to it.

However, I just raised her booster to the second to top position(probooster). So she isn't gonna last a super long time in high backs. I don't have money to spend on crazy tall boosters nor do they fit in my vehicle

I can't even fathom putting a child that light in a backless. I would think 6-12 months in her pb is all We have left. I imagine she would weigh *just* 40 at that point so she barely even hits the minimums.

What do u do in those cases? Is it safe for a child that light to be in a backless?

Also, I do have the chance of having a 7-8 year old who doesn't even meet the minimums for a backless. I would like to get one for carpools next year but again, she may be under 40 lbs. But at her age and height, it seems dumb she is under the limit for a backless.

So.....if u had a crazy tall lightweight, who was 7-8, and really didn't fit highbacks, would u feel ok with a backless if it fit properly? In my car she would stay in a hb until its outgrown, but I would like the option of backless for other people

Also, do any backless' have a 30 lb minimum or are they all 40?

Thanks!

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
There are definitely some backless with a 30lb minimum - Cosco High rise/Ambassador/Auto Booster I know for sure, and I think also the Literider. Maybe more (Clek?) I would feel 100% ok using a 30lb minimum backless for her at that juncture.

RYLANSMOM

The Harmony Literider has these spec's

•For children 4-10 years old, from 30-100 lbs. and 34" to 57" tall

melniemi

When she outgrows the pro booster, dd2 might be old enough to use that in one car and E could use the frontier as a booster. I'm surprised she has so little room, she certainly doesn't look that long torsoed in pics. My 10yo is currently riding in my pro booster with room to grow.

momtoo3

Most backless start at 30 pounds. There are a few that start at 40 pounds. She would probably fit great in a Literider, which is great for carpooling and those kinds of things. Ds2 rides in a nbb for carpooling and he is 6 yrs, 50 pounds and 48 inches. He has been riding in one since he turned 5 but will stay in a hbb until he either outgrows his or turns 8 or stops falling asleep. Then he gets a say and he already wants out of the hbb.

fyrfightermomma

Why did I think they were all 40?? I'm out.of the loop I guess! LOL We are new to the booster world.

Yeah she has a crazy torso. Her 8 shirts are getting short. I haven't measured in years though. She also has a crazy long neck which doesn't help things! I checked again and she is definitely the second to top setting.

Once Sophia takes the probooster, j would need the frontier cause he is crazy tall too. And the frontier doesn't fit in the third row in booster mode well at all when its raised. But by then, who knows what will be out or maybe We will have a new car. My issue though is the frontier isn't exactly a nice light easy booster for swapping around lol. So I doubt We would ever use it as one. Hopefully she slows down. Her feeding tube seems to only make her grow up, not out! If u see her in pics next to Sophia, her height realllly stands out(Sophia isn't short by any means!) And they are only a year apart lol

Kat_Momof3

because that is the minimum we drill into people because MOST backless boosters have that as the minimum...

and MOST kids are going to be 40lbs BEFORE being ready for a backless booster.

E is not MOST kids and so MOST boosters aren't going to be right for her.

She must have one long torso these days, because Ruthie isn't using that high of a setting on her probooster or vivo (but she's been growing legs now for awhile)

I'd look at the cosco backless boosters and the harmony... I think what it will come down to for you guys is what fits best in most vehicles and what she likes.

the cosco is most straightforward and easy to buckle, but it's also so low profile that smaller kids and slender ones don't always get a good fit in it with the shoulder belt as it doesn't lift them up enough.

the harmony ones are also more padded... for ease of buckling, I'd probably go with the Cruz (or whatever they're calling it now)... I bet she'd love the pretty purple one they're introducing (and obviously she's not needing it right this second, so you can hold out for that)

christineka

According to the blog, dorel will be raising the weight minimum to 40 pounds for backless boosters. I'd look at the harmony boosters.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC