Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

pls help me rank these seats

From best to worst, how would you rate these seats for airplane travel?

Scenera
    Radian
    Coccoro

Any pros and cons of each you can offer me would also be appreciated.

The why: I have a spare Scenera and a full-time use Radian for my 3yo. I'll be buying a Coccoro soon for my new baby. I feel like I won't need a spare Scenera then (when in need my 3yo can use a RSTV and the Radian can be the "spare seat" for the Coccoro), so I'm thinking of getting rid of my Scenera. I really don't like installing it in cars, but have found it invaluable on planes- so lightweight! But I want to know if the Radian and/or Coccoro measure up to the Scenera for flying before I cut the cord.

Thanks for any input!
    2018 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda5, and 2001 Toyota Echo (we drive 'em forever)
    Kids aged 15-6, but none driving yet. Well, only golf carts.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    I've traveled with all three.

I'd probably rank them:

Coccoro
    Radian
    Scenera

The Coccoro is SO lightweight and easy to install on the plane and in a car.

Radian is heavy but easy to carry with the backpack straps (you need two). Easy to install (FF) and not bulky.

Scenera is lightweight but I...just don't like it, especially in cars.

4. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

Re: pls help me rank these seats

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've only ever appreciated the Scenera on planes, but once we get back into a car... ugh.

Carseat Crazy

Of those seats, I have only traveled with the Radian. It is heavy. But with the backpack straps it was very manageable and not bulky. It was also nice strapped to luggage to make a stroller. It installs super easily FFing on a plane.
    J, 7 yrs, 41 lbs, Evenflo Big Kid, Recaro Prosport, Turbo SS
    A, 5 yrs, 31 lbs, RF TFP/Princess Radian, and FF SecureKid/Maestro
    M, >1yr, RF TFP/Radian

7. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

Forgot to add, if you need to RF on the plane, the Radian is either impossible or very difficult, depending on the plane.
    J, 7 yrs, 41 lbs, Evenflo Big Kid, Recaro Prosport, Turbo SS
    A, 5 yrs, 31 lbs, RF TFP/Princess Radian, and FF SecureKid/Maestro
    M, >1yr, RF TFP/Radian

Oh, I wouldn't even attempt to RF the Radian on a plane. There are people who have done it with success, but I will never be one of them.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by jnamommy View Post
    Forgot to add, if you need to RF on the plane, the Radian is either impossible or very difficult, depending on the plane.
    Please excuse me asking a dumb question, but when do you need to rf on a plane? I was under the impression it was kind of... optional if your cr could ff and your dc was the minimum age/size for it. That is, does erf not provide the same documented benefit on airplanes as it does in cars?

Quote Originally Posted by teekadog

Please excuse me asking a dumb question, but when do you need to rf on a plane? I was under the impression it was kind of... optional if your cr could ff and your dc was the minimum age/size for it. That is, does erf not provide the same documented benefit on airplanes as it does in cars?
    The main concern with planes is turbulence. In that case, direction isn't much of an issue. There are also cases of aborted takeoffs or rough landings, in which rear-facing would provide a benefit.

I'm comfortable forward-facing on a plane long before forward-facing in a car.

If I had a kid (regardless of age) who still fit RF in a Coccoro or Scenera, I'd use that on the plane, rear-facing.

I just flew with my 2-year-old (who RFs in the car), and she was FF in the Radian on the plane. If she still fit the Coccoro RF I would have used that, but she doesn't.

12. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
    The main concern with planes is turbulence. In that case, direction isn't much of an issue. There are also cases of aborted takeoffs or rough landings, in which rear-facing would provide a benefit.

I'm comfortable forward-facing on a plane long before forward-facing in a car.

If I had a kid (regardless of age) who still fit RF in a Coccoro or Scenera, I'd use that on the plane, rear-facing.

I just flew with my 2-year-old (who RFs in the car), and she was FF in the Radian on the plane. If she still fit the Coccoro RF I would have used that, but she doesn't.
    I rf to age 4 in the car, but I think I'd be comfy putting my 3yo ffing on a plane... especially if it means I can ditch my Scenera All of this is pretty much a moot point anyway, considering how rarely we fly.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

I'm sitting next to a rear facing Coccoro right now on the plane. It is by far my favorite travel seat. But forward facing it can be tough to unbuckle. Forward facing my favorite travel seat is the Radian.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPS Fanatic
    I looooove the Maestro for FF travel. It is light, fits the plane seat well, and is easy to install in nearly every car I've tried. The open belt path does put the plane buckle in the kid's back, though. That can be mitigated with something soft like a cloth diaper to use as padding.