Baby Jogger Summit or Elite or ???

LittlePeanut

I think we've narrowed our decision down to the Baby Jogger brand but since they cost a whole lotta $$$, I want to be sure we're making the right decision.

I have a 2.5 y/o SN kiddo (35 lbs). I need a stroller since my back is starting to feel the strain of babywearing for longer periods.

Things that may be helpful to know:

• I have an older DS (5.5 y/o and 40 lbs) who would love to have a +1 seat.
  • We do not jog and likely never will.
  • DS2 needs the stroller to keep him safe, contained and to give him his own safe space.
  • A tray would be nice.
  • A secure harness is imperative. He is likely to learn to undo anything or squirm out of it if it's not secure enough.
  • It will never be used for a newborn, so a flat angle is unnecessary.
  • A usable basket would nice but it won't cause me to rule any specific stroller out.

I'm open to other ideas so hit me with them! We have looked at BOB Revolution and Mountain Buggy Urban Jungle.

Help? TIA.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

I adore my Elite. Can you wait for the 2012? Like all the other BJ City updates, it will have a hand brake and more accessible basket (they've changed the shape of the bar across the back). It doesn't have a +1, but you can get a glider board and a tray.

lanwenyi

If you need to buy right now, I think the City Elite is a better fit for you. If you can wait, I think the City Mini GT will be the best fit for you. It is also supposed to have a lower price-tag.

You will want to buy the Glider Board (or another brand's ride-along board; I love my Valco HitchHiker) and a child-tray.

If you want an actual jumpseat (rather than a ride-along board), you can look at the Valco Tri-Mode. You can purchase the jumpseat for that one. AFAIK, it's the only brand that currently makes a jumpseat.

LittlePeanut

I think the issue with the City Mini (and the GT) is the lower weight limits and lower seat back height limit. The extra weight and height on the other two may give me another couple of years use. Does that make sense?

lanwenyi

The GT is new for 2012 and is supposed to have the taller seat like the elite. I dont know what its weight limit will be. It is replacing the City Elite. The Elite is on sale for $299.99 on wayfair (and prob other places too) b/c it's being discontinued. It has a less-accessible basket than the new GT will have, is also heavier, and has slightly larger wheels, but if you can get it on-sale, it will be less expensive than the GT (GT's MSRP is supposed to be $349ish).

I agree that the reg City Mini will be too short for you. I passed on that one b/c my DD (38.5", 14.5" torso, not sure on head height) is already pushing up on the canopy. That's also why I ruled out the BOB. It's seat is so much shorter than the BJCE/Summit. DD has very little, if any, growing room.

crunchierthanthou

The GT is new for 2012 and is supposed to have the taller seat like the elite. I dont know what its weight limit will be. It is replacing the City Elite. The Elite is on sale for $299.99 on wayfair (and prob other places too) b/c it's being discontinued. It has a less-accessible basket than the new GT will have, is also heavier, and has slightly larger wheels, but if you can get it on-sale, it will be less expensive than the GT (GT's MSRP is supposed to be $349ish).

The GT is only replacing the Elite double. The single Elite will still be available, and won't have a stripe on the canopy (yay!). It will come in red, black, or tan.

lanwenyi

What I read said it was replacing both and then I saw them go on sale ($299 on Wayfair and the red is $305 on Amazon), so I thought that what I read was correct, but I'm perfectly happy to be wrong!

In that case, do you know what the differences will be btw the GT and the Elite single? I know the wheels are smaller (10", I think). What other differences will there be?

I'm really after a Summit b/c I want to be able to do short jogs w/ it, but I'm tempted by the Elite being so "cheap". Can I do brief jogs w/ it? (I have exercised-induced asthma, so I don't jog for very long. I tend to jog/walk/jog/walk, etc). I already have a Mac for my car, so size doesn't matter to me.

crunchierthanthou

it's not labeled, but this is the 2012 Elite single-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/verysheri/6184159861/in/set-72157627737634056

The GT has 8.5" tires vs the Elite's 12" (both have "forever air" foam filled tubes). I think the canopy on the Elite is bigger, and the front props up to be a foot rest. I don't know if there are any other differences. height? padding? suspension? If they're all the same it makes the higher price that much harder to justify- especially when there's the Summit with 16" rear tires and a true hand brake.

Note that the hand brake on the 2012s isn't like the one on the Summit that can be used to slow you down on the move. It's more of a wheel lock that you can set with your hand instead of foot.

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
I like our elite too. It's been our only stroller since spring. My umbrella stroller broke, so the elite gets taken everywhere. I have a valco hitch hiker on it for the 4yr old. It works for us and is easy to push one handed.

leblanlm

Senior Community Member
I would actually look more at the BOB and Mountain Buggy. I love Baby Jogger strollers but if you are concerned about the harness not being easy to undo you may want to stay away from Baby Jogger. It's not that the actual buckle is easy to undo but that the shoulder portion is attached to the stroller with clips. To move the shoulder height you undo the clips and move them to the next position. If he figures out how to undo that part he'll be in a 3pt harness.

LittlePeanut

Yeah I had read about the changes that someone had posted about from the ABC show. I know the GT will be 1.5" longer and have 15 more pounds of weight... I just don't think it's enough, not for a bigger/older kiddo.

Oh and I'm in Canada but very much willing to buy in the US for a much better deal. This Wayfair site mentioned, it's legit? I also don't see the Elite for $299, it's now $399 so I'm guessing the sale is over :( The MSRP on the Elite here is $499 and the Summit is $429 (plus 15% tax too) :eek:

So, considering winter and snow and all that lovely weather, I noticed the BOB strollers have fabric at the feet which IMO is just plain dumb. I'm certain the slush and snow/salt will destroy it in no time.

lanwenyi

Wayfair is the new name for CSN stores. I got a clearance Monterrey from them for my niece. AFAIK, they are legit. However, the prices have gone up on their site.

They have not updated their prices for the link through Amazon yet (still $299) and Amazon has their own Red Sport Elite discounted to $305.97. That one's in my cart and hasn't gone up yet. I have no idea how long the price will stay down though.

jperiod

I thought I read the GT will only have a 65 lb weight limit.

We just got a 2008 elite for my 60 lb, 53" 6.5 year old with autism. I will probably be able to get 2 more years out of it for him, then continue to use it for the baby. It's an incredibly easy push, with just one hand! My son mostly needs it as a quiet hiding spot and because he has low endurance. Otherwise he walks. I put the baby on my back in my soft-scructured carrier (angelpack LX) and let him ride. The harness, at least at the waist, doesn't seem easy. Aren't there guards you can add on?

From what I saw of the summit, I thought it was a little lower in height.

canmom

Does anyone know when the New BJ line will be out? I'm thinking of selling my 2009 Elite (or 2008??) and upgrading.

I find my stroller tippy with anything hanging on bar (maybe it's just me??)... anyone know if the newer models are better for this? (sorry :eek: to hijack OP)

LittlePeanut

Does anyone know when the New BJ line will be out? I'm thinking of selling my 2009 Elite (or 2008??) and upgrading.

I find my stroller tippy with anything hanging on bar (maybe it's just me??)... anyone know if the newer models are better for this? (sorry :eek: to hijack OP)

No worries :) I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of shipping the stroller to the border. Any Canadians use Kinek shipping service? I wonder what duties would be due on a stroller?

LittlePeanut

I thought I read the GT will only have a 65 lb weight limit.

We just got a 2008 elite for my 60 lb, 53" 6.5 year old with autism. I will probably be able to get 2 more years out of it for him, then continue to use it for the baby. It's an incredibly easy push, with just one hand! My son mostly needs it as a quiet hiding spot and because he has low endurance. Otherwise he walks. I put the baby on my back in my soft-scructured carrier (angelpack LX) and let him ride. The harness, at least at the waist, doesn't seem easy. Aren't there guards you can add on?

From what I saw of the summit, I thought it was a little lower in height.

Thank you for this review! This is exactly our need for the stroller too. I'm thrilled to hear we may be able to use until closer to 8 y/o :)

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
We are saving up for a Summit for DD. She is 6yo, 48 inches tall and 62lbs. She has a medical condition that leaves her very sick, with no energy and unable to walk, often. We borrowed one to try and it was awesome, pushed so easy and she had room to grow.

jperiod

So far I haven't found my elite tippy and I've had the handle loaded with my full diaper bag! :shrug-shoulders: This is even with the 20 lb baby in it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC