Good news! Update - Michigan Booster Law

BookMama

Senior Community Member
This is a great first step! But some how the word needs to get out how low-income families can get booster seats for their children for free or discounted prices. I know there are resources out there, its just a matter of getting that information out to the people who need it. There needs to be hand outs given to all families applying for state aid, but also information available at secretary of state offices. Laws are good, but resources are better.

I believe there is an advocacy/awareness component to this bill, but I'm not sure offhand what it is. There is also a group called "Boost Up Michigan" that I think will be involved.

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Someone just posted (on BabyCenter) an e-mail from the head of Safe Kids Michigan indicating that Governor Granholm will sign the bill at a ceremony at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm still not considering it final until that bill is actually signed, but WOOHOO!

I can't wait to find out more about advocacy efforts and how I can get involved.

ETA: Here's a pretty decent article from the Free Press - even mentions a mom whose 5YO is still in a harness: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080326/NEWS06/803260394/1008/NEWS06

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Happy dancing here today about the hopefully imminent signature from the governor. (well, dancing figuratively any way, sick kiddos have limited my dancing time). I wish the Freep article headline didn't misleadingly say "up to 7" because that can generate confusion. :thumbsdown: The article itself has it right, through age 7, aka up to age 8 as the booster law states. The headline leaves the wrong impression for anyone who doesn't read the full article. Otherwise it's a great article. :thumbsup:

MamaLinzie

I just got off the phone with a man from safe kids (?) and he verified that Gov Granholm will be signing it tomorrow at 10am. I am going to be there for it, and I am so excited!

TerisBoys

Yay!

Though I do wish it was an 8 AND 80 law. This means my ex's petite 7yo SD will be legal in Nov when she turns 8.

By petite - RYAN (5yo) is bigger than she is at 44" and 45# - she just outgrew the harness on a COSCO HBB by weight and is still under the top slots!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Blatantly swiping a AAA Michigan press release link, happily posted by BookMama on Baby Center and Coffee Break here earlier today, to announce the governor signed the Michigan booster bill into law this morning, hooray: http://www.streetinsider.com/Press+...+Information+at+Branch+Locations/3492475.html

Per the press release, AAA is planning seat checks and informational handout kits to help inform parents/caregivers of the new law. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

j4m4d8

Wow! It finally happened. And I'm so happy they specified child restraint instead of booster; I wouldn't want to be ticketed by a well-meaning officer for having a five-year-old in a harnessed seat.

Does it bother anyone else that UMTRI reports in that AAA article that 5.1 percent of 4-8 year olds are using a child restraint when they should have been in a booster? Since they don't report any 4-8 year olds correctly using a child restraint, it makes me worry a bit about their research. Do they consider every 4 year old in a child restraint to be incorrectly restrained?

OK, sorry to get off track. I didn't see anything that addressed any of the other issues in Michigan's child restraint laws, but this is a biggie and I'll be happy to see most of my daughter's friends in boosters. My son's friends are mostly going to be 8 before July 1 if they aren't already, so I doubt there will be much change there.

But I still can't believe it!

Julie D.

elle7715

Does it bother anyone else that UMTRI reports in that AAA article that 5.1 percent of 4-8 year olds are using a child restraint when they should have been in a booster? Since they don't report any 4-8 year olds correctly using a child restraint, it makes me worry a bit about their research. Do they consider every 4 year old in a child restraint to be incorrectly restrained?

I wondered about that too. Or are they looking at the kids over 40 lbs in a carseat with a 40 lb limit?
Plus there are some 30 lb 4 year olds out there that really need to be in a harnessed seat. That magical 4th birthday shouldn't mean that they 'have' to move to a booster.

I'm SO, SO happy it passed though. I just hope it is enforced...

monzogary

Senior Community Member
I'm SO, SO happy it passed though. I just hope it is enforced...

:yeahthat:
I was thinking of printing out some handouts to give out at the girls' schools on Monday (on spring break right now). There are TONS of kids in Heather's elementary school who ride either with no booster, no seat belt, or in the front seat that it just makes me sick. Hopefully by next school year it will be better!

elle7715

:yeahthat:
I was thinking of printing out some handouts to give out at the girls' schools on Monday (on spring break right now). There are TONS of kids in Heather's elementary school who ride either with no booster, no seat belt, or in the front seat that it just makes me sick. Hopefully by next school year it will be better!

I was thinking the same thing, but for DD's SE preschool. There's this one little boy who rides to school propped up with pillows, using just a seatbelt. I asked the teachers to mention it but what else can you do? The morning class has 3-4 year olds and the afternoon class has 5-6 year olds. I was hoping to make up an info sheet and give the SafeKids website and this website. Can I do that?

Also, I just talked to the SafeKids Detroit chapter. They're doing a carseat check on May 3rd from 10-3 pm at the BRU near Great Lakes Crossing mall. I could put that on there too. I didn't see it on the SafeKids site but I remember the coordinator mentioning it so I called. They said they saw the bill signed this morning. :thumbsup:

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
Mary- LMK if you want something from Safe Kids Livingston County to go home! I will be working on something to send to the schools in the coming weeks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC