Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Re: Good news! Update - Michigan Booster Law

Quote Originally Posted by MamaLinzie View Post
    This is a great first step! But some how the word needs to get out how low-income families can get booster seats for their children for free or discounted prices. I know there are resources out there, its just a matter of getting that information out to the people who need it. There needs to be hand outs given to all families applying for state aid, but also information available at secretary of state offices. Laws are good, but resources are better.
    I believe there is an advocacy/awareness component to this bill, but I'm not sure offhand what it is. There is also a group called "Boost Up Michigan" that I think will be involved.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BookMama View Post
    I believe there is an advocacy/awareness component to this bill, but I'm not sure offhand what it is. There is also a group called "Boost Up Michigan" that I think will be involved.
    That is very encouraging!

Carseat Crazy

Erin, Mom to Noah
    8/03, 42# 46" riding in
    SK Montereys

Someone just posted (on BabyCenter) an e-mail from the head of Safe Kids Michigan indicating that Governor Granholm will sign the bill at a ceremony at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow!

I'm still not considering it final until that bill is actually signed, but WOOHOO!

I can't wait to find out more about advocacy efforts and how I can get involved.

ETA: Here's a pretty decent article from the Free Press - even mentions a mom whose 5YO is still in a harness: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...94/1008/NEWS06
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos

Carseat Crazy

Wow that is great news!
    Brea, Mommy to Z, B, K, and one on the way!

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by BookMama View Post
    ETA: Here's a pretty decent article from the Free Press - even mentions a mom whose 5YO is still in a harness: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...94/1008/NEWS06
    Wow, they found a great mom to quote for once! I'm very glad that it is finally a law and a primary offence!
    Erin, Mom to Noah
    8/03, 42# 46" riding in
    SK Montereys

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Happy dancing here today about the hopefully imminent signature from the governor. (well, dancing figuratively any way, sick kiddos have limited my dancing time). I wish the Freep article headline didn't misleadingly say "up to 7" because that can generate confusion. The article itself has it right, through age 7, aka up to age 8 as the booster law states. The headline leaves the wrong impression for anyone who doesn't read the full article. Otherwise it's a great article.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

I think they are signing it today around 3:00... that's what our lead person said in a meeting today!
    Proud Mom to David (15), Hannah (14), Emily (13), Stella (9) and Zahari (8)

Quote Originally Posted by NOAHSMOM View Post
    Wow, they found a great mom to quote for once! I'm very glad that it is finally a law and a primary offence!
    It was me! LOL!
    ~~~ Tina ~~~
    DS (07/02) | 54bs | 52 inches | Compass B750, Santa Fe and a Parkway SG
    DD (11/06) | 41lbs | 44inches | Frontier85, Radian80, Alpha Elite 65 L

I just got off the phone with a man from safe kids (?) and he verified that Gov Granholm will be signing it tomorrow at 10am. I am going to be there for it, and I am so excited!

Quote Originally Posted by Milkie&Cookie View Post
    It was me! LOL!
    Yay! Good for you!

I thought it might have been a CPS advocate - you don't hear the general public cite the "race car" example very often, LOL.
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

Yay!

Though I do wish it was an 8 AND 80 law. This means my ex's petite 7yo SD will be legal in Nov when she turns 8.

By petite - RYAN (5yo) is bigger than she is at 44" and 45# - she just outgrew the harness on a COSCO HBB by weight and is still under the top slots!

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Blatantly swiping a AAA Michigan press release link, happily posted by BookMama on Baby Center and Coffee Break here earlier today, to announce the governor signed the Michigan booster bill into law this morning, hooray: http://www.streetinsider.com/Press+R...s/3492475.html

Per the press release, AAA is planning seat checks and informational handout kits to help inform parents/caregivers of the new law.
    Last edited by Jeanum; 03-27-2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: d'oh, this was already posted in Coffee Break, too :)
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

For those who want something to send to other parents, here is a great informational page from Safe Kids Michigan (boy, they got this up nice and fast )

http://www.michigansafekids.org/newlaw.php#
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos

Senior Community Member

Wow! It finally happened. And I'm so happy they specified child restraint instead of booster; I wouldn't want to be ticketed by a well-meaning officer for having a five-year-old in a harnessed seat.

Does it bother anyone else that UMTRI reports in that AAA article that 5.1 percent of 4-8 year olds are using a child restraint when they should have been in a booster? Since they don't report any 4-8 year olds correctly using a child restraint, it makes me worry a bit about their research. Do they consider every 4 year old in a child restraint to be incorrectly restrained?

OK, sorry to get off track. I didn't see anything that addressed any of the other issues in Michigan's child restraint laws, but this is a biggie and I'll be happy to see most of my daughter's friends in boosters. My son's friends are mostly going to be 8 before July 1 if they aren't already, so I doubt there will be much change there.

But I still can't believe it!

Julie D.

Quote Originally Posted by j4m4d8 View Post
    Does it bother anyone else that UMTRI reports in that AAA article that 5.1 percent of 4-8 year olds are using a child restraint when they should have been in a booster? Since they don't report any 4-8 year olds correctly using a child restraint, it makes me worry a bit about their research. Do they consider every 4 year old in a child restraint to be incorrectly restrained?
    I wondered about that too. Or are they looking at the kids over 40 lbs in a carseat with a 40 lb limit?
    Plus there are some 30 lb 4 year olds out there that really need to be in a harnessed seat. That magical 4th birthday shouldn't mean that they 'have' to move to a booster.

I'm SO, SO happy it passed though. I just hope it is enforced...
    Registered Nurse, BSN and Mommy to
    A ~ FF in Recaro Probooster, 8
    J ~ FF in Radian 80, 5
    B ~ FF in Radian XTSL, 3
    A ~ Keyfit 30, 1

Quote Originally Posted by elle7715 View Post
    I'm SO, SO happy it passed though. I just hope it is enforced...

I was thinking of printing out some handouts to give out at the girls' schools on Monday (on spring break right now). There are TONS of kids in Heather's elementary school who ride either with no booster, no seat belt, or in the front seat that it just makes me sick. Hopefully by next school year it will be better!
    Mary
    Mom to Aimee 25, Heather 16, & Laura 14

Quote Originally Posted by monzogary View Post

I was thinking of printing out some handouts to give out at the girls' schools on Monday (on spring break right now). There are TONS of kids in Heather's elementary school who ride either with no booster, no seat belt, or in the front seat that it just makes me sick. Hopefully by next school year it will be better!
    I was thinking the same thing, but for DD's SE preschool. There's this one little boy who rides to school propped up with pillows, using just a seatbelt. I asked the teachers to mention it but what else can you do? The morning class has 3-4 year olds and the afternoon class has 5-6 year olds. I was hoping to make up an info sheet and give the SafeKids website and this website. Can I do that?

Also, I just talked to the SafeKids Detroit chapter. They're doing a carseat check on May 3rd from 10-3 pm at the BRU near Great Lakes Crossing mall. I could put that on there too. I didn't see it on the SafeKids site but I remember the coordinator mentioning it so I called. They said they saw the bill signed this morning.
    Registered Nurse, BSN and Mommy to
    A ~ FF in Recaro Probooster, 8
    J ~ FF in Radian 80, 5
    B ~ FF in Radian XTSL, 3
    A ~ Keyfit 30, 1

Mary- LMK if you want something from Safe Kids Livingston County to go home! I will be working on something to send to the schools in the coming weeks.
    Carrie- CPSTI and busy WOH Mama to
    A., 11 yr old, I., 8 yr old, E., 4 yr. old, and baby O. 2 yr, old!