Have you ever seen a carseat like this?

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
Wow that looks really similar to the Akta Graco DuoLogic Swedish RF seat
in-i-bil_large.jpg

Except that for it doesn't turn in to a complete bed - how weird!

Michi

I guess I missed that thread:eek: Thanks!

There are so many neat European seats. I just sometimes wish we had more to choose from here in the U.S.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Around the time that thread started, someone in the UK emailed lil ol' me asking about it -- I was like "Whaaaaaaaaaaat...is...THAT?" :rolleyes: I got some really informative responses from some overseas techs via the CPSPListserve! Someone in Japan was quite against its concept & all carbeds in general (except for absolute medical necessity).

Loves2sing

That is a neat seat. Man I wish they had European Seat Dealer around here just so that I could play with the seats. They wuoldn't have to even sell them, I just want to see them in person. Then again, once I saaw them I would be whining about how much I wanted to OWN one! LOL!

ThreeBeans

Around the time that thread started, someone in the UK emailed lil ol' me asking about it -- I was like "Whaaaaaaaaaaat...is...THAT?" :rolleyes: I got some really informative responses from some overseas techs via the CPSPListserve! Someone in Japan was quite against its concept & all carbeds in general (except for absolute medical necessity).

What was his reasoning? I really don't know anything about them beyond that they're the only safe option for some preemies.

Michi

Man I wish they had European Seat Dealer around here just so that I could play with the seats. They wuoldn't have to even sell them, I just want to see them in person.

:yeahthat: I SOOOO agree! I would LOVE to play with the Swedish RF seats!

For the above seat - I just thought it was cool how the sides of the 'carbed' feature become SIP once it is FF.....

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Mainly that in a carbed the crash force isn't distrubited as well as in an RF seat & that we should be pushing for insurance to provide coverage for babies to stay in hospitals until they are ready for an RF seat.

ThreeBeans

Mainly that in a carbed the crash force isn't distrubited as well as in an RF seat & that we should be pushing for insurance to provide coverage for babies to stay in hospitals until they are ready for an RF seat.

Interesting.

But, um, wouldn't that be months and months for otherwise healthy babies :confused:

Cathyliz

Senior Community Member
I think it's awesome! We were actually just talking about this last week in my CPST class. This would be a great option for kids that are in partial body casts that wouldn't otherwise fit in regular car seats. The specialized seats for kids in casts are pretty expensive, too. I think if a seat like this were needed, the hospital may be the ones to buy it and loan it to the family. They'd probably charge insurance companies for it as "medical-related equipment".

:thumbsup:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus

Wow, that would have been a nightmare. Has he ever had a baby in the hospital? Two of mine rode in the DreamRide carbed for months because they had pretty severe reflux (apnea monitors, surgery - they weren't typical refluxers). It would have been beyond impractical to keep them in the hospital that long just because they screamed and puked if they sat in a carseat for too long!

I must say, though, that this carbed looks more like a Dream-Ride than the one we had!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I've heard elsewhere from some medical professionals that carbeds do not actually increase breathing abilities that much in comparison to correctly used RF seats & are more often only necessary for more extreme/rare conditions, but I don't remember who/where I heard this :confused: ITA that there's no way I'd want my baby in the hospital any longer than absolutely necessary, though :(

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I've heard elsewhere from some medical professionals that carbeds do not actually increase breathing abilities that much in comparison to correctly used RF seats & are more often only necessary for more extreme/rare conditions, but I don't remember who/where I heard this :confused: ITA that there's no way I'd want my baby in the hospital any longer than absolutely necessary, though :(

I'm really not sure about the breathing issues, but I do think that the reflux issue is definitely related to the style of carseat. The ones my boys were using around 10 years ago had "sloped" backs and 3-point harnesses, which made them "curl" up, putting them in a position that really exacerbated their reflux. I've noticed most infant seats nowadays have flat backs and actual "seats" (like a seat bight), with 5pt harnesses that help keep them from slouching, so the babies' backs are straight. I would guess that this would be true with the breathing issue as well. I wonder if the evidence about breathing issues is based on the older model carseats?

Morganthe

The one reason I'm so thankful I gave birth in a military hospital instead of a German one is that they require all babies to be at least 3 kilos (6.6lbs) to be released.
DD would have remained in the hospital for another 10 weeks at minimum. After she got well from the pneumonia, it took 5 weeks to regain her birth weight of 5.5lbs from her illness that dropped her down to 4.5lbs. Then another 5 weeks to add an additional pound to reach that target weight. She was a lightweight, but very healthy when she was discharged. It wouldn't have been good for us, her overall health, and our bfing relationship to have her 25 minutes down the road at the hospital :(

I'd support a better invented system for travel, even to keep the infant at home the entire time after the initial journey for a set time period, before I'd suggest longer expensive and uneccessary stays in hospitals.

Last edited:

Morganthe

I should have clarified better... Homburg NICU required the 3kilo minimum weight. I can't say for other German hospitals if they have the same requirements. It was the nearest unit and where I would have had to give birth due to High Risk category if the military couldn't take me due to space constraints.
:sorry!:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC