Babysitter help

Ellie173

I need some help. My best friend is a fill in sitter for me every Monday. I have a nautilus for the 3 yo and am really cautious to use it right all the time. I just got it back and the straps were way looser than what is safe. We have talked about this before. How can I get her to listen? We are both college students and far from having kids so this is pretty new to us.
Also I don't let the kids eat in their car seats but it had white icing like stuff on the straps. Is that safe? I scratched mot of it off but some is still there.
I am probably overly concerned but these kids only ride safely in my car and I hate that. They are very special to me. I have been the nanny for 2 years now. The nautilus user is 3 and around 43-45 lbs and 42" or so. Sadly past rear facing weight.
Thank you! The kids are riding safer because of this site!

ADS

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I'd probably just ask her. Blame the parents (since it's not your kid). Say they have asked you to NOT adjust the harness in the car seat, it's set exactly to fit the child and they asked that you do NOT allow anything other than water in the car seat and that only with a lid.

I would totally put blame on them, like they told you this so you are just "passing along" the info to her.

Ellie173

That would be great but I bought the seat for him after the parents kept wanting me to use a 40 lbs seat for him after he was over the limit. They also don't believe in the pinch test. They say it is too tight. I asked her to not adjust but she still does:(
I was hoping she couldn't figure how to adjust it since the last seat was a Chase which adjusts weird.

Ellie173

I have to really convince her. She thinks the little guy is in pain when it is tight because he screams that it is too tight (he really just doesn't like buckling up). We went over the pinch test last time again and she still won't do it. She is a careless person who thinks she won't be in an accident, that is why I install it for her even though she knows how to.
Should I just let it go and try not to take off as many days? Both kids hate being restrained properly because their parents don't so they throw fits about it all the time.
Thank you for the suggestions! It is just going to take more work than I was prepared for when I gave up mondays.

Ellie173

Hadn't thought of that! Can you link me to some? That would be great! Not sure if it will matter to her, she thinks that bad things don't happen to good people and that if they do it is just fate (but that is a totally different problem).
Or am I just worrying too much about this? They aren't my kids, and the parents don't care about car seat safety, but I hate having to think of it that way.

hedgefun

Do you have someone else who can fill in for you? I would show her crash test videos and also say someting like, "I'm glad you've been able to fill in for me, but if we're never going to be on the same page about this I'm going to have to find someone else / start watching them again myself on Mondays."

ETA: Personally I don't think you are worrying too much about this. It seems like your friend doesn't "get it" and is in denial that something grave could happen to these kids while in her care because of being improperly restrained.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'll look for some. :)

As a nanny myself, I just know I wouldn't be able to live with myslf if something happened to a child in my care, especially if I was being careless.

Ellie173

Any more suggestions? I might be going out of town this weekend and will have to drop off the seats tomorrow. Could not find any crash videos of too loose straps but maybe I didn't look hard enough.
And thank you for the encouragement. It is nice to hear that other nannies care this much too. Most of my friends think that car seats are a joke :(

jnamommy

Is it up to you to find a fill-in sitter when you are off? Do the parents know that she is transporting them, and not properly restrained while doing so?

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Bad things happen to good people all the time. Ketchupqueen is a wonderful person and she and her family were in what would have been a tragic wreck if they had not been properly restrained. Accidents can happen to anyone at any time.

www.tinyurl.com/vsmatters

Ellie173

Great! If she doesn't listen to me this time I will just find someone else. Thanks for sharing that link, if it is ok I will send that to a friend with kids and definitely to the fill in.
And yes, I find fill ins. The parents are great and very sweet but they don't know anyone here and adore all my friends (they also trust me to find good people more than they trust themselves). They know she is transporting the kids but they don't care about car safety themselves (they are great but just don't understand car safety). They also allow my safety decisions override theirs, and they respect that so if I told them my concerns they would tell me to do what I feel right doing. I guess it is just hard since it is my best friend.

Oh and last question, is it ok if there was gunk on the straps? Not much and most has come off but still not sure if it is bad for the straps. I can't afford new straps, but will if need be (I also use the seat for my god daughter).

I really appreciate the support.

BrookysMommy

I dont have any suggestions for you, but I want to thank you for taking the time to know about car seat safety and for keeping the little ones you watch safe in the car. I personally know how difficult it is to find a good sitter (that knows about car seats as well) and I think that you are doing a great job :) Most think that if the parents say its okay, its okay. But you took your time to make sure that the children you watch are safe. So, thank you for making sure the kids are atlease safe with you!

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Icing on the straps is not a safety issue. Gently remove what you can and wipe with a damp washcloth.

:yeahthat:

If I listed everyone who made fun of me for being a tech at my age and caring about carseat safety, we'd be here all day. You're doing the right thing so keep doing what you're doing. :)

Ellie173

Thank you! Didn't know if kids eat in the car. Guess they have to sometimes so a little icing shouldn't be too bad.
I think I am only taking around 3 days off before the semester is over now so I guess the problem is solved (for a few weeks at least)!

henrietta

I need some help. My best friend is a fill in sitter for me every Monday. I have a nautilus for the 3 yo and am really cautious to use it right all the time. I just got it back and the straps were way looser than what is safe. We have talked about this before. How can I get her to listen? We are both college students and far from having kids so this is pretty new to us.
Also I don't let the kids eat in their car seats but it had white icing like stuff on the straps. Is that safe? I scratched mot of it off but some is still there.
I am probably overly concerned but these kids only ride safely in my car and I hate that. They are very special to me. I have been the nanny for 2 years now. The nautilus user is 3 and around 43-45 lbs and 42" or so. Sadly past rear facing weight.
Thank you! The kids are riding safer because of this site!

Knowing the situation Sarah Ellen, I would explain it to her again. For one thing, she may have thought honestly that the straps were tight enough--she may have left his jacket on him or his sweatshirt may have bunched up somewhere. He may have loosened it himself (not likely, but it's possible). You need to show her what can happen. If you want, bring her back over to my house w/you another day, and we'll "double check" the install in her car. ;)

So, when you coming over to watch *my* kiddos? ;)

See ya soon!

henrietta

And btw, you're not worrying "too much"...you may want to remind her that these same parents can afford to hire the best attorney's here in town and may sue the pants off of whoever's watching their kids if they are injured in her care (or car...). The fact that they don't use carseats properly themselves will have NOTHING to do w/it, if they are in a crash. They are educated folks and make good money. There are also numerous officers in our area w/CPST training now who know the law and how to use seats and can write tickets for improper use. Does she want to pay a $50 ticket for not using the top tether or the 3 year old slipping his arms out of the shoulder straps and waving his arms around in the car? hths

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
:yeahthat:

If I listed everyone who made fun of me for being a tech at my age and caring about carseat safety, we'd be here all day. You're doing the right thing so keep doing what you're doing. :)

I get this all the time...i'm young and a nanny and some people just don't understand or take me seriously

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC