Traveling w/Nautilus v. Maestro

ResearchMama

We are trying to find a second car seat that will meet all our travel needs. (We have a Nautilus installed as our primary car seat.) Our first trip is domestic so we'll be installing on the plane and a rental car. Our next trip is international and we'll be installing in a plane and a relative's car.

I was in BRU about to buy a Maestro (since I'd read on this forum it was a good travel seat.) However, upon looking at it, it seemed so flimsy compared to the Nautilus we have and right next to me was a discontinued Nautilus style for $50 off. I was concerned about four things 1) Maestro seemed to be more emphatic than Nautilus, in the manual, about a top tether being highly recommended [I'm not sure the relative's car has a top tether and there is a language barrier to getting reliable info from them on this]; 2) safety [shouldn't my son be in the sturdiest/safest seat wherever we go?; 3) weight [the Nautilus is heavy and weight is a concern especially for the international travel.] 4] size - I read on this forum that Nautilus is too big for the xray machine in airport security.

Cost does enter into a bit because we are low on funds, but we can pay a little more if it really means increased safety for our son.

My husband said he could handle the weight if safety is a greater concern for me. So I bought the Nautilus.

Now I'm having second thoughts due to the weight and extra expense and issue with the xray machines.

Any thoughts? I still have time to return the Nautilus and pick up the Maestro instead.

ADS

InternationalMama

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can answer a couple of them. :)

First, it is pretty unlikely that your relative overseas has a top tether. They are uncommon outside the US (unless their car is a US vehicle they brought over as military or something). In Europe they are pretty much unheard of.

(ETA: They are also unlikely to have locking seatbelts so make sure you bring a locking clip and practice using it before you go.)

That might be one reason to stick with the Nautilus as in tests it performs very well without a top tether. (I don't know about how the Maestro performs.)

Also, I wouldn't worry about the X-ray machine. If it won't fit through they can and will do a hand search. It doesn't take very long usually.

I don't have personal experience with either seat, but I love how light the Maestro is and don't have concerns about its safety. But on the other hand if your son is used to the Nautilus maybe he will feel more comfortable in that on the plane etc. Something familiar in an unfamiliar place.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
B]1)[/B] Maestro seemed to be more emphatic than Nautilus, in the manual, about a top tether being highly recommended [I'm not sure the relative's car has a top tether and there is a language barrier to getting reliable info from them on this];

Both seats should be used with a top tether whenever there is one to use, and I would work hard to use one. However, if you're in a car without, you cannot and it's fine.

2) safety [shouldn't my son be in the sturdiest/safest seat wherever we go?;

Both seats pass the same testing. Sturdy does not necessarily mean more safe.

3) weight [the Nautilus is heavy and weight is a concern especially for the international travel.]

Very true.

4] size - I read on this forum that Nautilus is too big for the xray machine in airport security.

It's possible, depends on the machine. In which case they'll wand it. No biggie there.

Have you looked into the Ride Safer Travel Vest? Or were you planning on using the seat on board the plane?

Wendy

ResearchMama

We were planning to use the seat on the plane. We have a CARES harness, which we have never used, that I'd take with us in case we were forced to check the carseat for some reason. (I'm not sure if our son is too big for the CARES harness or not, now--I'd need to look.) Anyway, ideally, we want to use the car seat on the plane.

ResearchMama

I just came across another issue, on another forum--the issue of the Nautilus being too wide to fit some planes. On our domestic flight I'm not anticipating a problem but our international flight might put us on a turbo prop or something small for one leg. Anyone know the relative widths of these two seats or have some thoughts on this aspect of it? I'd hate to check a seat and want to avoid this at all costs.

ResearchMama

I need to stop researching because I keep finding other issues but I also found a comment somewhere that the "Nautilus might be too big for some cars." My mother in law has a small European sports car and I am hoping the Nautilus won't be an issue there. (It's not tiny, but has bucket seats, is two doors so is small.)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It should fit, you need 80% on the car's seat for it to be ok.

As for airplanes, put the armrest up. Problem solved. It'll fit.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC