Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

A little off topic- Teen seatbelt use? Travel safety issues.

We are going on a long car trip for the 4th and we will spend many hours in the car over 7 days. My 15yo stepson will sit properly in a seatbelt around town and for shorter (less than 2 hour) freeway trips. But then he starts to lean and slump out of position and I worry about keeping him restrained in a crash. Any tips on how to encourage teens to sit correctly on longer trips? I am driving most of the time so I cant monitor him constantly. Any tricks?

Also, we are buying a DVD player with dual screens that velcro-install to the back of the front headrests for this trip. Any ideas about increasing safety and decreasing the projectile risk?

We are renting a minivan for the trip (my Escape is just too cramped for a long road trip). In my Escape, we can secure the cooler, gear and luggage in the cargo area with ratcheting cargo straps attached to the tie down anchors. Do most minivans have cargo tie down anchors in the rear luggage area? Don't know what model minivan we will be getting yet (I should call rental co and see if they can tell me). What do you do to secure heavy cargo?

TIA!
    DD May'03 46#(fully dressed) 44" FF Radian65, Radian80,and SafeGuard Go (travel)
    Previous Seats: RF SnugRide, RF/FF Britax Galaxy (similar to RA), RF/FF Graco ComfortSport (waste of money), FF MA (Olivia, I love that cover)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: A little off topic- Teen seatbelt use? Travel safety issues.

You have tie downs in your escape? lucky! (my hybrid doesn't have them..).. Minivans have a deep well in the back that's under/beind the third row, so it's not as big of a deal to keep everything in place, but yeah, also we have hooks in my van, so I think most do.

Might see if plastic ties can be used to extra-secure the video screens somehow?
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    You have tie downs in your escape? lucky! (my hybrid doesn't have them..).. Minivans have a deep well in the back that's under/beind the third row, so it's not as big of a deal to keep everything in place, but yeah, also we have hooks in my van, so I think most do.

Might see if plastic ties can be used to extra-secure the video screens somehow?
    Yep, my Escape has the cargo tie downs. I've never looked in the cargo area of a hybrid.

Plastic ties for the video screens is a great idea! Thanks!
    DD May'03 46#(fully dressed) 44" FF Radian65, Radian80,and SafeGuard Go (travel)
    Previous Seats: RF SnugRide, RF/FF Britax Galaxy (similar to RA), RF/FF Graco ComfortSport (waste of money), FF MA (Olivia, I love that cover)

CPS Fanatic

Tazer

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
    Tazer
    Nah, if it was set to high it might knock him unconscious, and then he'd slump even more...

-Sarah

CPS Fanatic

:rotflmao:

Carseat Crazy

Tazer... not a bad idea. LOL!!!!!

For those of you w/o a teen in the house yet, just wait! Your "fun" is coming...

Seriously, he is a great kid, interesting to talk with and a lot of fun to have around. Yet, he is still a teenager and all that comes with that package.

I'd have him read the vehicle manual seatbelt use section & show him the 86Y with sincere thread to make him use that if he doesn't keep the seatbelt properly positioned.
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by papooses View Post
    I'd have him read the vehicle manual seatbelt use section & show him the 86Y with sincere thread to make him use that if he doesn't keep the seatbelt properly positioned.
    Now that might work!!! I could humble him into complaince with the 86Y threat!!!!

It worked on my ginormous 12 year old SS with ADHD
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by papooses View Post
    It worked on my ginormous 12 year old SS with ADHD
    Reading the vehicle manual, reading the 86Y thread, or the Tazer?
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonflymama View Post

For those of you w/o a teen in the house yet, just wait! Your "fun" is coming...

Seriously, he is a great kid, interesting to talk with and a lot of fun to have around. Yet, he is still a teenager and all that comes with that package.
    I feel your pain!
    I have 2 teenagers! 17 and 15!
    Lysandra
    CPST, LLLL and SAHM
    Mia 13, Ian 10, Clek Olli x2, TB and BubbleBum

Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    Reading the vehicle manual, reading the 86Y thread, or the Tazer?
    roflmao!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonflymama View Post

hehehe...mine just graduated high school...and to you dragonflymama all I have to say is WAIT UNTIL 16 yrs old- then the real fun starts

seriously, he was like a different kid overnight (I thought we were in the clear and BAMMO!) Now he is mostly pleasant and cooperative again (of course, he has no car, so I am his taxi service- he better be nice!) and he is a great kid, very smart, no major problems now-but 16 &17 were rough for us. I always have to remind him not to slouch in the seatbelt- he is 5'11" and the lap portion ends up on his stomach. I tell him horror stories of what could happen. He usually rolls his eyes and sits upright again.

Carseat Crazy

I found an effective way to encourage our 15 yo to sit correctly in his seat belt: I calmly but sternly explained that he will not be getting his driver's learning permit if he can not first demonstrate that he understands and practices auto safety as a passenger. Simple, if he can't ride safely, we are not going to let him operate the vehicle. Lots of eye-rolling, but my threat is working (for now anyway).

Senior Community Member VoodooChile's Avatar

Can you show him a picture of a Tiffany Parkway and tell him you're ordering him one if he won't sit right? No need to tell him he's too big for it...

I feel your pain too.