A little off topic- Teen seatbelt use? Travel safety issues.

Dragonflymama

We are going on a long car trip for the 4th and we will spend many hours in the car over 7 days. My 15yo stepson will sit properly in a seatbelt around town and for shorter (less than 2 hour) freeway trips. But then he starts to lean and slump out of position and I worry about keeping him restrained in a crash. Any tips on how to encourage teens to sit correctly on longer trips? I am driving most of the time so I cant monitor him constantly. Any tricks?

Also, we are buying a DVD player with dual screens that velcro-install to the back of the front headrests for this trip. Any ideas about increasing safety and decreasing the projectile risk?

We are renting a minivan for the trip (my Escape is just too cramped for a long road trip). In my Escape, we can secure the cooler, gear and luggage in the cargo area with ratcheting cargo straps attached to the tie down anchors. Do most minivans have cargo tie down anchors in the rear luggage area? Don't know what model minivan we will be getting yet (I should call rental co and see if they can tell me). What do you do to secure heavy cargo?

TIA!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You have tie downs in your escape? lucky! (my hybrid doesn't have them..).. Minivans have a deep well in the back that's under/beind the third row, so it's not as big of a deal to keep everything in place, but yeah, also we have hooks in my van, so I think most do.

Might see if plastic ties can be used to extra-secure the video screens somehow?

Dragonflymama

You have tie downs in your escape? lucky! (my hybrid doesn't have them..).. Minivans have a deep well in the back that's under/beind the third row, so it's not as big of a deal to keep everything in place, but yeah, also we have hooks in my van, so I think most do.

Might see if plastic ties can be used to extra-secure the video screens somehow?

Yep, my Escape has the cargo tie downs. I've never looked in the cargo area of a hybrid.

Plastic ties for the video screens is a great idea! Thanks!

Dragonflymama

Tazer... not a bad idea. LOL!!!!! :p

For those of you w/o a teen in the house yet, just wait! Your "fun" is coming...

Seriously, he is a great kid, interesting to talk with and a lot of fun to have around. Yet, he is still a teenager and all that comes with that package.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'd have him read the vehicle manual seatbelt use section & show him the 86Y with sincere thread to make him use that if he doesn't keep the seatbelt properly positioned.

Lys

Senior Community Member

For those of you w/o a teen in the house yet, just wait! Your "fun" is coming...

Seriously, he is a great kid, interesting to talk with and a lot of fun to have around. Yet, he is still a teenager and all that comes with that package.

I feel your pain!
I have 2 teenagers! 17 and 15!

Yoshi

hehehe...mine just graduated high school...and to you dragonflymama all I have to say is WAIT UNTIL 16 yrs old- then the real fun starts:whistle:

seriously, he was like a different kid overnight (I thought we were in the clear and BAMMO!) Now he is mostly pleasant and cooperative again (of course, he has no car, so I am his taxi service- he better be nice!) and he is a great kid, very smart, no major problems now-but 16 &17 were rough for us. I always have to remind him not to slouch in the seatbelt- he is 5'11" and the lap portion ends up on his stomach. I tell him horror stories of what could happen. He usually rolls his eyes and sits upright again.

Dragonflymama

I found an effective way to encourage our 15 yo to sit correctly in his seat belt: I calmly but sternly explained that he will not be getting his driver's learning permit if he can not first demonstrate that he understands and practices auto safety as a passenger. Simple, if he can't ride safely, we are not going to let him operate the vehicle. Lots of eye-rolling, but my threat is working (for now anyway).

VoodooChile

Can you show him a picture of a Tiffany Parkway and tell him you're ordering him one if he won't sit right? No need to tell him he's too big for it...:whistle:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I feel your pain too.

Mackenzie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC