Opinion- Options for a large 22 month old in a NY Taxicab

ystava

Opinions? NY Taxi option for a large 22 month old

My wife and I are taking the train to NY city in a month with our 22 month old. We are taking the train and relying on public transportation when we're there but to and from the train station we're probably going to need to take a cab at least a couple of times.

Taxis are exempt form car seat laws in NYC. There is no way we're going to put the boy in our lap so we were trying to decide on our alternatives and there isn't a ton of information online.

Our boy is also pretty big for 22 months, right now he's 34 inches and 30 lbs.

So here are our two options.

The Ride Safer Travel Vest http://www.travelswithbaby.com/gear/review_ridesafer.htm

Or the Go Hybrid http://www.travelswithbaby.com/gear/review_go_hybrid_booster.htm

Our boy meets the height/weight requirements for the vest, but not the age limit of 3. The booster works, but it may be ungainly to travel with since we'll already have our hands full (suitcases, stroller, baby, etc.). One disadvantage of the seat is that it can't be used in anything that doesn't have a LATCH upper attachment point; the vest is more versatile. I also like the idea of the vest because we can have it everywhere, and we won't find ourselves caught somewhere and unable to hail a taxi because plans change and we need to get back to the hotel fast.

I guess I'm trying to talk myself into the vest, recognizing that part of the age limit has to do with proportion of the head to the rest of the body; but also consider that the legal alternative is sitting in the lap with no restraint at all.

ADS

ystava

We are headed to New York City in a month and were trying to decide what to do about our so. We will take the train, and then for sure need to take a cab to and from the station. In NYC taxis are exempt from child restraint laws.

We are going to be pretty incumbered with luggage, baby, stroller... so adding our large carseat to the list seems daunting. We are also worried about what to do if we walk somewhere and then have to get back to the hotel quickly because plans change or it rains or whatever.

So our two options

Safety First Go Hybrid http://www.travelswithbaby.com/gear/review_go_hybrid_booster.htm

or

Ride Safer Vest http://www.travelswithbaby.com/gear/review_ridesafer.htm

The ride safer vest says it is for 3 yrs, 30 lbs, and 34 inches. Our toddler is large enough, but not old enough. However, the vest is something we could easily tote around the city and could always have it on hand.

The Go Hybrid is age appropriate, but it is bulkier, heavier, and requires a LATCH upper attachment point (which some taxis may not have - it's been a while and I can't remember seeing them in cabs before).

Recognizing that the age requirement on seats is partly due to the proportion of their head to their neck, I'm still leaning toward the vest because we can always have it with us, and we have no plans that would put us in a Taxi on a high-speed road (50+ mph). I am interested in others might do in our position. Remember, in NYC we could legally just sit the little dude in our lap... which seems crazy to me.

T4K

I don't know what your budget is but will you be open to a Combi Coccoro and Coccoro Flash stroller frame? This will be the most lightweight and easy to use stroller systems for your situation. The Coccoro is also great to use on the plane.

T4K

I also suggest public transit instead of cabs. When I travel to large cities, I wear my toddler and travel by train or bus. That way I don't fuss about carrying her seat everywhere.

Kaitsmom

I agree, babywearing makes life so much easier. When we went on vacation this year we took the trolly everywhere instead of fighting with parking. I wore my 44lb almost 3 year old on my back in a mei tie that I made. She was free to ride since she was strapped to me. I didnt even take a stroller since there wasnt room. She loved riding on my back and even fell asleep a few times. We walked miles a day too and I had no priblems wearing her. I didnt have to fight.with a stroller in small shops and crowded sidewalks or worry about where I would leave it when we went places that didnt allow them. I still have a strollet, but use it more for the zoo and amusement parks. Which stroller are you using? The subway and buses are also much cheaper then the cost of a taxi AND a new carseat.

lourdes

Kaitsmom said:
I agree, babywearing makes life so much easier. When we went on vacation this year we took the trolly everywhere instead of fighting with parking. I wore my 44lb almost 3 year old on my back in a mei tie that I made. She was free to ride since she was strapped to me. I didnt even take a stroller since there wasnt room. She loved riding on my back and even fell asleep a few times. We walked miles a day too and I had no priblems wearing her. I didnt have to fight.with a stroller in small shops and crowded sidewalks or worry about where I would leave it when we went places that didnt allow them. I still have a strollet, but use it more for the zoo and amusement parks. Which stroller are you using? The subway and buses are also much cheaper then the cost of a taxi AND a new carseat.

Do you have pictures of the one you made? It sounds great, I have something like what you describe but here is call a baby hammock, I am interest in knowing how you did it.

InternationalMama

When you say "requires and upper LATCH attachment point" do you really mean a tether point?

Yeah, I think she means the tether anchor.

OP, I would expect NYC taxi cabs to have tether anchors. Those taxis are typically very new and LATCH has been standard in cars for quite awhile now (and the tether anchor is part of the LATCH system). I know there is a poster here who used a Go in NYC cabs and was happy with it.

I would not use the RSTV for a child who does not meet the minimum requirements stated by the manufacturer.

I think the Coccoro is also a good option. If you plan to have another child eventually the Coccoro is a great compact convertible for the car too. (I think you mentioned on another thread that you were unhappy with how much room your convertible took up RF in your car.) So that could be a good choice and then you could move to the RSTV in a year or so.

I also agree with others about investigating public transport options.

Some posters have also had success strapping their convertible into a stroller and just having their child sit in the carseat in the stroller. You would want to try this out at home and see if it could work for you though. Along those lines a GoGoKidz Travelmate or Traveling Toddler might be other options for transporting your current convertible.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Re: Opinions? NY Taxi option for a large 22 month old

Does he fit in one of the larger infant seats? Then you could use the infant seat in the stroller.

Or get a Combi Coccoro and use a Flash stroller frame.

I wouldn't use either of those for a 22 month old. The vest likely won't fit as you need it snug around the child, and the Go requires a tether, like you said, and I'm not certain taxis have them. So then you'd be stuck with a backless booster. I've used a Coccoro in taxis. It's easy to install and use. I've also used a RSTV in a taxi (at the same time, actually). Both are easy. One was appropriate for my eight year old, one was appropriate for my rear facing one year old.

Wendy

ystava

I would really hate to duplicate items we already own. Landfills have enough stuff in them, and people tend not to trust a used carseat (and I'm not sure I'd want the liability).

We would consider the subway, but that has it's own issues IMHO...

Still worried about getting stuck out somewhere.

Very surprised there aren't more elegant solutions on the net given the vast numbers of people that live/visit NYC and must deal with this. I wonder if there are taxis with real car seats available by phone.

InternationalMama

Very surprised there aren't more elegant solutions on the net given the vast numbers of people that live/visit NYC and must deal with this. I wonder if there are taxis with real car seats available by phone.

Sometimes limo services have carseats available, but I think that's the least desirable option as then you do not know the history of the seat and it's just like using any other used seat, as you mentioned.

Brianna

Sadly, too many people equate legal with acceptable. Instead of the hassle of doing the right/safe thing, they think that since it is legal to not use a car seat and easier not to drag one around that it's okay not to use one.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've done both taxis and public transit all around with world. By far, the pubic transit is easier to deal with. If you have a sling and no stroller, then you don't need to worry about elevators at the stations for the subway, or getting onto a crowded bus. But even in NYC, there are usually people willing to help pull strollers up from stations. I used to have my baby on my back (heck, sometimes she was four or five years old) and I'd help carry up strollers.

Wendy

KaiLing

For a child that age and size I, personally, would see if he fit in a Cosco Scenera and then attach it to a stroller with bungee cords for daily use. It is awkward to add an object to stuff you have to carry, but it is rather lightweight and not terribly expensive, and I'd be confident installing it in a cab RF.

I also would avoid cabs. My way of dealing with the traveling / car seat conundrum is that I've basically avoided any trips with cabs until my kid turns 3 and can use the RSTV. I justify this to myself by reminding myself that it's only 3 years and then we're back on the easy traveling track. (But we've been to Europe twice without cabs and done fine.)

NannyMom

I agree with either the Cosco Scenera or the Coccoro with Combi Flash stroller. And use it rear facing. If my 35 pound, 42 inch 5 year old can fit (in some seats) rear facing, so can your big 22 month old ;)

brightredmtn

I fail to see why you need to take a cab from the train station :confused:. If it's because you are going to have too much stuff send your DH to the hotel with the stuff in a cab and you meet him with baby on the subway. There's subway stations right in Penn Station and Grand Central Terminal so very very convenient.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC