My Dad has a 12 passenger van.....

libranbutterfly

That does not have headrests, and has low seatbacks. I recently checked to see if the girls needed highback boosters in his car (they do), and explained why they needed highback, for whiplash protection. He asked me the other day what the best thing to do for his van would be. He drives boy scouts in it, he is a leader. It also has 6 lap only belts. The boys are in 8th grade now, so most are too big for boosters (my brother is 6'4") I told him I would look around about getting different seats to put in the van, if it was possible. Just thought I'd check here. it is a big dodge van, the style before the sprinter. He bought the van with his own funds and keeps it insured and such, just so that all the boys can go on trips when their parents are not available to take them. He is also a bus driver, so he is very good at driving large vehicles. I am just so happy that my dad came to me with this concern, he has always been pickier about car safety than my mom and his same age friends (I was harnessed until kindergarten, because I still fit in my seat) So I am hoping that there is some option for him since getting a newer van is out of the question at the moment. Thanks!

ADS

Keeanh

I'm not so familiar with the Dodge vans, sorry. How does it have 6 lap belts? There must be outboard lap belts too, I'm guessing by the door. If so, 86-Y harnesses might be the only solution.

I'm working on a solution to the headrest problem right now. One of my Chevy Express 15p benches is sitting alongside a Caravan bench with headrests at the body shop. The guy there is supposed to be investigating swapping headrests when he has time and I'm trying to bug him as little as possible :p. If it's successful I'll make an announcement here :D.

ETA: Looks like the seatbelts come out of the bench, not the van itself. Off to look for newer benches... Anyone know when the Ram Vans were last made?

daycaremom2002

I don't have any help to offer, sorry. I think it is great though that he took it on himself to get the van in the first place. Sounds like he is dedicated to the kids for sure.

I'm working on a solution to the headrest problem right now. One of my Chevy Express 15p benches is sitting alongside a Caravan bench with headrests at the body shop. The guy there is supposed to be investigating swapping headrests when he has time and I'm trying to bug him as little as possible :p. If it's successful I'll make an announcement here :D.

Please post pics if you are successful. :) I am very interested if it isn't too crazy expensive.

Keeanh

Please post pics if you are successful. :) I am very interested if it isn't too crazy expensive.

Don't worry! I will post loud & clear ;). I wish I had thought to take my camera with me to the scrap yard to document the process. Guy at the body shop said he wouldn't charge "too much" to do the welding, haha. I gave him a skeptical look & told him I would trust him since he works on DH's company's cars. I had a hard time talking him into doing it in the first place. I told him the bench was going to be for the patio, so he wasn't modifying a vehicle ;). The Caravan bench was $75. So $37.50 per headrest for parts.

ETA: You have an Express too, right? I know how to add TAs if you're interested.

daycaremom2002

ETA: You have an Express too, right? I know how to add TAs if you're interested.

I do have an express. I have TA's on each of the 3 seater benches though. 2 each and one on the bottom back of each of the front captain chairs. What year is yours that you don't have them?

Keeanh

I do have an express. I have TA's on each of the 3 seater benches though. 2 each and one on the bottom back of each of the front captain chairs. What year is yours that you don't have them?

I meant adding more TAs ;). Mine's a 2006, so it has 2 TAs on the first bench (with all shoulder belts) and one on each of the other 3-p benches. But I'm thinking of putting another TA on the 3-p benches so I can have FF car seats over against the window. If I do, I'll order the part for the 3-shoulder-belt bench buckle (which has a TA) from GM and swap it for the non-TA buckle part.

daycaremom2002

I meant adding more TAs ;).

LOL...I see. My 2002 has 6 tether anchors, but each bench has a lap belt in the center(2 in the back bench) Luckily, I use mostly harnessed seats, so most of the time, I can put a harnesses seat center and window side, and leave the door side open for a booster, or one of my big kids. (I don't stress the headrests much because my big kids are usually only back there for a mile in our small town going 20mph or less)

Keeanh

LOL...I see. My 2002 has 6 tether anchors, but each bench has a lap belt in the center(2 in the back bench) Luckily, I use mostly harnessed seats, so most of the time, I can put a harnesses seat center and window side, and leave the door side open for a booster, or one of my big kids. (I don't stress the headrests much because my big kids are usually only back there for a mile in our small town going 20mph or less)

I'm in Canada, so a FF harnessed seat MUST have a TA. It annoys me that I can't have one in my back row, or against the window (like where the Regent is on the right of your siggy pic).

Keeanh

OP, sorry about the hijack. How many kids does your dad carry? He has 5 available shoulder belts (including front passenger), right?

Could he just talk to the parents and find out how they feel? I hate to say this because you want kids as safe as possible in your vehicle, but if the parents are okay with no headrests and lap belts, can your dad be okay with it?

The solutions that I see are:
- Buy Sprinter
- Buy shuttle bus / conversion van with highback seats and shoulder belts
- Buy newer van with shoulder belts & retrofit headrests
- Keep current van & retrofit headrests & 86-Y harnesses

All expensive options :(

daycaremom2002

I wonder if It might have more shoulder belts than you think? Usually they will have shoulder belts on the outside of the benches and the front 2 seats. That would be 4 lap belts. He could still transport 7 kids. The low seat backs aren't ideal, but shoulder belts are more important IMHO.

Keeanh

I wonder if It might have more shoulder belts than you think? Usually they will have shoulder belts on the outside of the benches and the front 2 seats. That would be 4 lap belts. He could still transport 7 kids. The low seat backs aren't ideal, but shoulder belts are more important IMHO.

I think OP is right. I found this pic of a 2002, and it only has a shoulder belt on one side :(

2cda207c0a0d048e0173379fd37a83cc.jpg

daycaremom2002

Hmmmm....Dodge must have been behind the times then. The church had a 99
Chevy that had shoulder belts. :(

OP, Maybe your dad can find a good conversion shop. They change the passenger vans to campers and have a lot more information about adding those sort of thing into the structure.

libranbutterfly

Yeah, the back bench has a shoulder belt on each side, and then the other 2 benches have one shoulder belt each. I told him that the boys should use shoulder belts whenever possible, with the boys all being the same age, would it be better for the smaller ones or the bigger ones to use the lap belts if there are more kids than shoulder belts? When we ride with him I put the girls in harnessed seats so that all adults at least have shoulder belts.

I would love to hear how your conversions go keeanh :D

libranbutterfly

OP, sorry about the hijack. How many kids does your dad carry? He has 5 available shoulder belts (including front passenger), right?

Could he just talk to the parents and find out how they feel? I hate to say this because you want kids as safe as possible in your vehicle, but if the parents are okay with no headrests and lap belts, can your dad be okay with it?

The solutions that I see are:
- Buy Sprinter
- Buy shuttle bus / conversion van with highback seats and shoulder belts
- Buy newer van with shoulder belts & retrofit headrests
- Keep current van & retrofit headrests & 86-Y harnesses

All expensive options :(

I thought of that, and did tell him that, in our rural town, most of these kids do ride in lap belts and w/ no head support often, so he shouldn't beat himself up about it, and he is a great driver, so while there is always a chance of a wreck, the chances are probably better with them riding with him than with their parents. Unfortunately, we live in a town where most 2 yr olds are in boosters or just the seatbelt, and usually there are more people in the vehicle than seatbelts. so, by even just making sure every boy has their own seatbelt, that is an improvement. I am wondering if there is a way to retrofit more shoulder belts on the 2 middle benches. I am not sure how many boys are in his troop at the moment, or how many he usually drives.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC