Intergrated child seats in a Tesla, WDYT?

AtTheSouthDam

So DH found this, rear facing seats with a five point harness in the back of a Tesla hatch back. (he's been eying the Tesla's for a while now). They are labeled as children's seats and crash tested to a rear-end impact of 50 mph. I was just wondering what tech and fellow car seat enthusiasts think of them.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...56150462801.372088.18790602800&type=1&theater The link will take you the their facebook page where you can hopefully see these seats.

ADS

Pixels

If they are labeled as child restraints, they are held to the exact same standard as every other child restraint.

The only difference between integrated restraints and add-on restraints is add-on restraints are tested on the standardized bench while integrated seats are tested in the actual vehicle. These particular integrated seats happen to be rear facing, but they are still tested for a frontal impact.

They claim they have tested for a rear impact. Great. There's no standard, nor any oversight for such a test. It's a lot like manufacturer claims of side impact testing. Since there's neither a standard nor oversight, we don't know exactly how good a particular restraint might do. It's certainly no worse than anything else on the market.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Interesting.

My neighbor is a Tesla engineer, and he had mentioned that they would have rear-facing seats for kids. I brought up the conundrum of what happens when you have seats for smaller kids, but also have laws stating that you have to use child restraints (which can't be installed there) to 6, 8, etc years. He sort of blew me off.

However, I didn't realize (and maybe at the time he didn't either--this was two years ago) that they would have integrated harnesses. That changes things.

I'd still like more info, but that's intriguing.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Pixels said:
They claim they have tested for a rear impact. Great. There's no standard, nor any oversight for such a test. It's a lot like manufacturer claims of side impact testing. Since there's neither a standard nor oversight, we don't know exactly how good a particular restraint might do. It's certainly no worse than anything else on the market.

I didn't read the claim myself, but I wonder if the rear crash test was more to prove they're safe from an intrusion standpoint, not necessarily an injury criteria one.

Dmcj13

From the picture it looks like the harness straps are going to come from above most childrens heads? Is that safe? This might, however be a good way to rear face older children!

Pixels

From the picture it looks like the harness straps are going to come from above most childrens heads? Is that safe? This might, however be a good way to rear face older children!

It looks like how integrated harnesses on buses work. See the yellow plastic looking thing on the harness? That will slide down to the child's shoulder level.

I probably wouldn't put an extremely small child in it, but that's based at least as much on the crotch strap position as the harness height.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
It doesn't have a motor, but all the batteries etc have to be somewhere... So I think a grocery getter it is not :(

And at $50k+ it is WAY out of our reach in this household! :(

turtlemama

The battery is flattened out and in the floor part of the car from what I saw on the website. I was wondering what the cost would be. That's almost twice what we make per year :(

InternationalMama

One problem I have read about the integrated child seats is that they need to be replaced after a crash just like any other carseat and it can be very expensive (or sometimes people haven't done it, if you buy the car used).

Evolily

One problem I have read about the integrated child seats is that they need to be replaced after a crash just like any other carseat and it can be very expensive (or sometimes people haven't done it, if you buy the car used).

The same thing applies to seat belts too. It's possible you would just have to replace the harness, not the whole bench.

I would definitely add this to my things to buy if I win the lottery! It will be interesting if other manufacturers start adding these seats to their vehicles, I'd imagine this option would make cars more enticing to young families, thus improving the environmental factors and probably increasing safety by having kids rear facing to higher ages.

InternationalMama

Does anybody else feel like there is less SIP in these seats than you would get in a regular harnessed child restraint? I can't really tell from the pics.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC