Locking clip on rear facing seat with locking retractor

daycaremom2002

I was wondering how everyone handles this situation. On a rear facing convertible, if you have a locking retractor, do you always us a locking clip, or do you install the seat and lock the retractor and see if it becomes a problem?

I have always just installed the seat and kept an eye on it and either re-installed it if it started to tip, or used the clip then if it was causing a problem

Do you do this differently if installing for a parent vs installing in your own vehicle?

ADS

Brianna

I have to install J's MyRide in my car every weekend, and I don't feel like using a locking clip that often so I don't. I found that it only tips if I pull him out of the buckle side of the seat, if I pull him out of the opposite side then it doesn't tip. If I was helping somebody to install a seat before they could get to a tech, I'd show them how to use the locking clip.

Pixels

For myself, I use the retractor. I've never had a seat tip. Convertibles usually are heavy enough they won't, and my infant seat base only uses the lap portion of the belt, so no potential for tipping there.

At checks, I usually use the retractor and then give an upward tug on the shoulder belt to see if it will be a problem. I don't think I've ever switched to the clip. I think I've advised parents of the (potential) problem, given them the solutions (look at a crooked seat, reinstall frequently, use LATCH, or use the clip) and they have never chosen the clip.

henrietta

I was wondering how everyone handles this situation. On a rear facing convertible, if you have a locking retractor, do you always us a locking clip, or do you install the seat and lock the retractor and see if it becomes a problem?

I have always just installed the seat and kept an eye on it and either re-installed it if it started to tip, or used the clip then if it was causing a problem

Do you do this differently if installing for a parent vs installing in your own vehicle?

I have NEVER used a locking clip for this purpose, although I've thought about it.

For me, I've found I can put a lot of weight into the seat on the side of the retractor and push it down a bit more on that side, and that keeps it pretty level. I've had to reinstall occasionally for it starting to tip, but I'd probably be taking the seat out anyway to clean it at least that often, so it never mattered to me to take it out and reinstall it every few weeks.

hths

henrietta

daycaremom2002

For myself, I use the retractor. I've never had a seat tip. Convertibles usually are heavy enough they won't, and my infant seat base only uses the lap portion of the belt, so no potential for tipping there.

At checks, I usually use the retractor and then give an upward tug on the shoulder belt to see if it will be a problem. I don't think I've ever switched to the clip. I think I've advised parents of the (potential) problem, given them the solutions (look at a crooked seat, reinstall frequently, use LATCH, or use the clip) and they have never chosen the clip.

This was my logic and exactly how I handled the situation. After I did 2 convertibles at the distribution like this, I helped out on another, and was told that I had to use the locking clip. Their reasoning was that the evenflo manual says that for seats with a sliding latchplate, that you must use a clip.

I just wanted to see if my logic was totally flawed or if this was just a case of differing opinions. I figured that there was less chance of the parent to mess something up if the locking clip wasn't used.

Pixels

This was my logic and exactly how I handled the situation. After I did 2 convertibles at the distribution like this, I helped out on another, and was told that I had to use the locking clip. Their reasoning was that the evenflo manual says that for seats with a sliding latchplate, that you must use a clip.

I just wanted to see if my logic was totally flawed or if this was just a case of differing opinions. I figured that there was less chance of the parent to mess something up if the locking clip wasn't used.

This was a case of them wanting to adhere to the letter of the manual. It really doesn't have anything to do with tipping due to the locking retractor.

daycaremom2002

I guess I understand that, but then technically we should use a locking clip on a FF seat also. At least they have improved drastically with putting kids RF until 2.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

This was a case of them wanting to adhere to the letter of the manual. It really doesn't have anything to do with tipping due to the locking retractor.

Eh, I don't know about that. At our checkup events, our installers always use locking clips on rf seats regardless--it's what they're taught (not by me!). Yeah.

When I install a rf convertible, I don't use a lc because I haven't found them to be particularly tippy. Of course, I never used a convertible without built-in lockoffs for my kids so I don't have day-to-day experience with using one. Infant seats are a different ballgame.

henrietta

I helped out on another, and was told that I had to use the locking clip. Their reasoning was that the evenflo manual says that for seats with a sliding latchplate, that you must use a clip.

Does the manual actually say that and not clarifying "if the seatbelt cannot be locked manually AND has a sliding latchplate"? It sounds to me like someone is misreading the manual.

We've had 2 Evenflo convertible seats (a Triumph LX and an EFTA), and I don't recall that in the manual for either one. I don't have the LX anymore and the EFTA is in my dh's car, so I can't look it up right now.

henrietta

Pixels

Does the manual actually say that and not clarifying "if the seatbelt cannot be locked manually AND has a sliding latchplate"? It sounds to me like someone is misreading the manual.

We've had 2 Evenflo convertible seats (a Triumph LX and an EFTA), and I don't recall that in the manual for either one. I don't have the LX anymore and the EFTA is in my dh's car, so I can't look it up right now.

henrietta

I just checked the Titan manual, as it is a common Evenflo program seat. It does say that the locking clip must be used if the latchplate slides freely along the belt without locking in place. This is in both the RFing and FFing sections.

Manufacturers do streamline their manuals some. Instead of listing all the possibilities, they just say to always use a locking clip if it's a sliding latchplate. Just like most manuals say that if you have a non-locking lap-only belt, you cannot install the child restraint at all. They don't mention that a belt shortening clip is a possibility.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC