Seatbelt question...

4xMommy

I hope you'll forgive me all the questions...

My daughter is almost 8, but she's a little peanut. She's about 4"1' weighs about 52 lbs. I am going to put her back into a booster, she liked the TurboBooster.

My question is this: twice a week, she goes to karate class with her dad, and he drives her in his pickup. However, in the back seat, there are only lap belts, no shoulder belts. Would she be safer up front in her booster??

Opinions/advice appreciated!

Maureen

ADS

scatterbunny

She's the same size as my dd who just turned 6 (you can see what she rides in, in my signature). ;) Good for you for putting her back in a booster!

Yes, if a harnessed seat in the backseat of the truck is out of the question, she's safest in the front in her booster. I'd never let my child ride in a lapbelt-only position.

4xMommy

My other problem is (shoulda said this in the first place!), the backseat of the truck is teeny tiny. Like I can't even sit in there with my legs forward, and I'm only 5"7'. I'm not sure that a regular harnessed seat would even fit back there...I will have to play with the passenger seat, see how far up it can go.

Another factor, unfortunately, is the money. I'm already looking to buy new seats for my boys, and the booster for Avery. I can't even buy them all at once, I have to save up for each one, and sometimes, there's barely $5 left at the end of the week, you know?? LOL

I will fiddle with that front seat, though, see how far up it goes...

Thanks for all the advice!

scatterbunny

What kind of truck is it?

Carseats only need to have 80% of the base on the vehicle seat, it's okay if it hangs over a bit. But really, at her height and weight, I think the previous poster was a bit off to say you had "lots" of harnessing options. :p In that particular vehicle a Regent won't work because it's older (assuming, since it has only lapbelts in the back) and won't have tether anchors (and since it isn't your vehicle you have no say in getting them installed). A Radian might install well and sits low on the seat and far back, and doesn't require tethering, but my dd doesn't have a lot of room in one, so I'd worry about length of use for such a pricey seat. The Apex is cheaper but my dd is already too tall for it, and it requires vehicle seatback up to the tips of the child's ears at all times.

I think for this particular situation, a highback booster in front really is the best choice.

1girltwinboyz

your girl is the same size as my petite little thing! Dd is 7.5 and barely 47 inches and 51 lbs. :D

If you can get the Radian in the backseat with lap belt only, I would go for it. Its pricey but if you get 1+ years out of it for her, then hand it down to younger kidsfor the rest of its life, it will be worth it. Otherwise, it is pricey for only a year of use. I am assuming the truck does not have airbags if the backseat only has lap belts? If so the booster would appear to be ok there. I made the mistake of allowing my dd in the front seat with airbags off and was in an accident. THANK GOD she was fine and the airbags did not go off. I will never make that mistake again.

:thumbsup:

ThreeBeans

Scatterbunny, I somehow twisted "four feet one inch" into "forty-one inches" in my teeny-tiny brain :eek: I'm an idiot!

At 4'1" you really only have ONE harnessing option...the Britax Regent.

How about a booster with a harness like the 86Y thingy!

4xMommy

He drives a 1994 Toyota pickup. I don't think it has airbags, it doesn't have LATCH or anything like that.

Now, on nights that I will be home, he can just take the van (05 Sienna), but I just want to have all my bases covered for when he takes the truck.

PS--Avery said she would just like to ride in the bed...LMAO I remember doing that as a kid...would never DREAM of it now! What was my dad thinking?? LOL

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
How about a booster with a harness like the 86Y thingy!

They'd have to install the tether anchor. Which may or may not be worth the effort, depending on their preferences. If her Dad is like my Dad, he'd be all "You want me to use my drill? Handyman stuff? In the summer heat? Something that only gets used twice a week? WOOHOO!" Or if her Dad is like my dh he'd be all "Install what? With TOOLS? In the summer heat? Something that only gets used twice a week? There has GOT to be a better solution."

Also, just checking, because I'm not familiar with this truck - those rear seats are forward-facing, right? Not side-facing?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC