Was this an appropriate response?

momtoo3

I found an ad on a local site for a free older evenflo car seat. This was my response:
Hi! I am I huge car seat safety advocate so I think I can answer your question. The seat is most definitely expired. Evenflo seats expire 6-7 years after they are manufactured. There is a manufacture sticker somewhere on the back or bottom of the seat and there should be a "do not use after" stamp somewhere molded into the plastic. To get rid of it you can/should cut the harness straps, remove the seat cover, write "do not use, crashed/expired seat" and "not safe" all over it in permanent marker, and you can also take a hammer to it. then put it in a black garbage bag and the cover and harness in another bag. It is amazing how many people would try to use the seat if the cover and straps were in the same bag.
I would definitely do the above and throw it in the garbage. If you give it to someone and their child is injured in it, they could come after you for the seat not being safe. I think this would be more if you were selling it but with the way people are "sue happy" these days, you can never be too careful. Not worth the risk in my opinion.
I hope this helps, Stephanie

So was this an appropriate response?

ADS

acoro

Glad you got a positive response! I thought your comments were well worded and non-confrontational, great job!

Mommy0608

She took the ad down and emailed me to thank me!

You got lucky. :) I think your response was kind of course, but some people get very defensive when they get replies from us telling them about the safety (or lack thereof) of their seats. Glad she took the ad down and thanked you. :thumbsup:

momtoo3

I tried to link the ad but she had already taken it down. She had offered it for free and stated that she was not sure if it was still usable. She had bought it in 2004 used so she wasn't sure how old it was. She said she wasn't sure how to get rid of it so she was offering it for free. She also said it would be great for dolls. I'm glad she decided to throw it out. I would have went to get it and disposed of it properly but she is 45 minutes from me.

mellysue

Awesome! I'm glad she responded positively! I email people and usually they are ignored or I get the response, "thanks" and the ad is still left up. So I flagged the ads and put a post up and it gets flagged. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC