Shouldn't they be better now, not worse?

tjham

I was just looking at the manual for my 2001 FP Safe Embrace and see that the directions for the cover say "machine washable - tumble dry".
I have washed it several times, but did let it air dry.
It is in excellent shape.

Now WHY do all the newer seats made their covers so fragile? :confused:

Handwash?
Spot clean?

Please!

ADS

Loves2sing

I think they are sick of people throwing them in the wash in the wrong cycle, and then shrinking them in the dryer. They were constantly sending out new covers to everyone and their dog for ruining them. I think if you were to throw the cover in the wash on a handwash cycle, and lay flat to dry, they would probably still be fine.

By giving you different instructions now, if you ruin the cover they may be able to say, too bad, it's $50 for a new cover. KWIM?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, plus maybe the anti-flammability police weren't so ticket-happy back then? Britax covers used to be machine washable, it was a huge annoyance when they stopped being that way.

I knew even a mom on the boards who washed her AF cover in a load of jeans and wondered why it didn't come out cleaner...well...um...duh?

Still...fabric technology being what it is today, I don't see why we can't have these things fully machine washable :p

mominabigtruck

I don't know about ya'll but I wash my covers in the washing machine. I wash it on delicate usually with a towel or another cover. I would never even think of hand washing or spot washing my covers. The only problem I've ever had is with evenflo covers and my one combi cover fell completely apart the first time I washed it even though it said you could wash it right on the tag. Cosco and britax covers wash up great.

Lea_Ontario

I just washed the cover of our Intera last week in the machine. On "delicate" and in cold water. Hung it to dry (I don't own a dryer)

waterbaby

We do our covers on delicate cycle in cold water and air dry every few months or as needed. Spot clean? Do these people have kids?!?! LOL. How does one spot clean puke, hahahahaha. All of our covers still look brand new.

easterbun

I wash my covers in the machine.. but I wouldn't wash on warm or toss them in the dryer.. too much can go wrong with that!

Lara

I wash mine in the machine on gentle and then hang to dry outside (in az, it takes less time to do that than do dry it in the dryer!! lol my britax covers dry in about an hour, maybe a little more)

vonfirmath

Sounds to me like the same industry where more and more women's clothes are not machine washable either.

I suspect lawsuits, the material being used now, etc.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC