Monterey Booster

steph

It's that time, I need to order a spare seat for Ryan and I'm going to do a booster.

I think I'm going with the Monterey (I want a latchable booster). But I don't have a store nearby that I can try him in it.

Is this a good "all around" booster (meaning fits kids of all sizes good)? If it fits most kids well, I don't have as big of an issue ordering online.

FWIW he is 46 inches, 46 lbs and has a 16 inch torso.

TIA

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It tends to fit large kids well, and broad-shouldered kids. I've been pleased with the fit on my gang (all different sizes,) albeit sometimes with the greatest up a click, but many don't like the fit on more petite kids. HTH :)

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Keep in mind, too, that the Diono version of the Monterey has the shoulder belt guides farther back on the headrest, so that should help with positioning on small kids.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The child I use mine for fits in the Monterey like it was made just for her. She is not petite, but she's not big, either. I would call her "sturdy but slender."

I also put a very slight, 40 lbs soaking wet, tiny-framed child in it, and the fit wasn't nearly as good as it was with the sturdier child, but it was still acceptable and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for her. I probably wouldn't buy it specifically for that child, but if she's at my house and my Radian isn't available for her to ride in, she'll use it.

Lys

Senior Community Member
I hated the Monterey booster in my Pilot. With the seat in a normal recline position, Ian's head was never within the head wings. If I moved it more upright, he looked like he was too far forward.
I finally got rid of it.

ginny4

my DD didn't fit well in the monterey til she was 50lbs but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for your son. i believe boys are generally broader than girls to begin with. my DD had way too much "wiggle room" until she had bulked up a bit.

steph

I hated the Monterey booster in my Pilot. With the seat in a normal recline position, Ian's head was never within the head wings. If I moved it more upright, he looked like he was too far forward.
I finally got rid of it.

It's going in my Mom's Civic but it's good to know it won't work well in my Pilot (I had wanted to also have it if I transported one of Ryan's friends).

I think I might just get a Turbo booster (or maybe a Vivo). Ugh, I don't know:eek:.

I'd really be happy with the new turbo boosters but they aren't coming out soon enough for me.

steph

I think he would fit fine.

Here is Benjamin in it at 43 inches and 43 lbs.

That helps alot. I liked the Monterey because the sides looked considerably deeper but seeing a kid in it, they don't look as deep as I thought they would.

I think I'll drag him down to the store tomorrow and try him in the the turbo, vivo and parkway. I know they don't have the Monterey but maybe seeing him in the others will help me decide.

Lys

Senior Community Member
It's going in my Mom's Civic but it's good to know it won't work well in my Pilot (I had wanted to also have it if I transported one of Ryan's friends).

I think I might just get a Turbo booster (or maybe a Vivo). Ugh, I don't know:eek:.

I'd really be happy with the new turbo boosters but they aren't coming out soon enough for me.

Steph, I made the parental decision after I sold the Monterrey to put Ian in a Clek Olli. This was after I read that there was no statistical data that there was any more SIP with a HB vs a no back booster. I also mace this decision based on the SIP that was available in my Pilot and it's IIHS crash tests.

Maybe that will help your decision as well.

steph

Lys said:
Steph, I made the parental decision after I sold the Monterrey to put Ian in a Clek Olli. This was after I read that there was no statistical data that there was any more SIP with a HB vs a no back booster. I also mace this decision based on the SIP that was available in my Pilot and it's IIHS crash tests.

Maybe that will help your decision as well.

Thanks.

Are you able to put a booster in the center? Or does it not work with belt.coming from the ceiling?

Sent from my Atrix using Car-Seat.Org

emandbri

I'm not sure if you saw it or not but there is a new turbo coming out that has more side impact protection, I'd wait for it.

Lys

Senior Community Member
Thanks.

Are you able to put a booster in the center? Or does it not work with belt.coming from the ceiling?

Sent from my Atrix using Car-Seat.Org

You can but it's not the best fit.

crunchierthanthou

We have the Monterey as ds's primary seat. He's about Ryan's size now at nearly 7, but was barely 40 lbs when he started riding in it at age 5.5. It didn't fit him as a scrawny 4 year old, but I think it's a good choice for any average sized 5-6 year old boy. It's a good fit and ds loves it. The side wings do pop open on ours, but it hasn't been much of an issue. The belt still fits fine and ds doesn't seem to notice whether they're open or closed (so I just don't mess with them). I'd definitely get another one if we needed to replace it.

EmmaGrace'sMom

DD has used the Monterey some for training and I think it fit her well. She's fairly petite at 41lbs. I don't recall any issues with the fit in my 08 Pilot, I'll pay more attention next time I put it in. I can try to get some pics for you tonight or tomorrow if you'd like.

steph

DD has used the Monterey some for training and I think it fit her well. She's fairly petite at 41lbs. I don't recall any issues with the fit in my 08 Pilot, I'll pay more attention next time I put it in. I can try to get some pics for you tonight or tomorrow if you'd like.

It's okay. I'm going to try him out in a few other seats first and see how he fits. Plus the booster is going in a Civic primarily, but thanks for the offer!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC