Car innovations

chambom

Is there anything you would like to have in your car or have your car do that t doesn't do now? Is there a way to make using carseats easier? I have the opportunity to get ideas into an automotive forum and would love to her ideas.

ADS

Brianna

I much prefer lightweight locking latchplates to sliding ones that lock at the retractor, and removable headrests in all seating positions would be great! Well, I'm not sure there's a need for the driver's headrest to come off... Oh and a tether anchor for the front passenger's seat, along with designated tether anchor positions for rear facing tethering.

jess71903

Ambassador
Standard lower anchors with 100+lb weight limit. I want car manufacturers and child seat manufacturers to get together and standardize some things to make installation easier. Rigid LATCH that would work in every car would be a start.

jnamommy

Definitely more tether anchors - for rear and forward facing seats.
And I, uh, like seatbelts that lock at the retractor :eek:

cookie123

I'd just like an option for that 3 across seat that replaces the vehicle seat I've seen posted a few times.

gagenivy

Heavy duty seatbelt slider/latch/lock things. They always seem to break! And ditto heavier LATCH limits.
Also, unless this has been addressed as a safety issue before...I don't like it when large SUVs have LATCH only on the small seat one would fold down to gain access to the 3rd row.

christineka

Clearly indicate the latch limit and which positions the latch seats are for. (Maybe big, sewn on labels that say "right latch 48 pounds.) Headrests in all positions. And make them removable. Shoulder belt adjusters are great for short people in seatbelts. The latch bars in the seat with flip up tabs are easier to access than the latch that's stuffed in between the seat crease. Unlike the pper, I prefer locking the belt at the retractor to using locking latchplates. People are used to locking at the retractor and often think their belts don't lock because they do at the latchplate and so they use locking clips. To make the belt stay tight at the latchplate, you have to have it at the correct angle, which doesn't work for all car seats. Plus, at car seat checks, we often have to put 3 year olds in boosters and I like to be able to lock the whole belt on those kids. I had one family where the 2 and 3 year olds had to be in boosters, but since the belts locked at the latchplate, the 3 year old absolutely refused to leave the shoulder belt where it was supposed to be.

I really love how my van's middle seats move forward and backward. It's helpful for 3 across.

I vote for no more humps in the back seat!

I also really, really would like to see built in boosters, meant for larger kids. I think it would help with the booster cause to be able to put larger kids in their friends' vehicles without needing to tote around a booster, plus it would have no belt guides, so good for wider kids, and since it would look just like the vehicle's seat, it would be less noticeable to outsiders and thus much less embarrassing.

Brianna

Unlike the pper, I prefer locking the belt at the retractor to using locking latchplates. People are used to locking at the retractor and often think their belts don't lock because they do at the latchplate and so they use locking clips. To make the belt stay tight at the latchplate, you have to have it at the correct angle, which doesn't work for all car seats. Plus, at car seat checks, we often have to put 3 year olds in boosters and I like to be able to lock the whole belt on those kids.

I definitely see your point. I was only looking at is as having to install a RF MyRide every weekend and it being so easy with a locking latchplate.

It is possible or safe for the belt to lock at the latchplate and at the retractor? That way some seats are easier to install (no tipping rear facing) but the belt can still be locked for boostered children or seats that don't stay in place with locking latchplates?

bnsnyde

I want:
A beeper that beeps when you back up, should you choose to use it.
A back-up camera for any vehicle.
A RF tether anchor for every spot in second or third row.
Latch and tether in every single seat except driver.
A headrest in every single spot.
A clear limit in writing of the latch and tether. None of this 48 lbs. if they are tested to way more than that.
No blind spot. Maybe they can't get rid of it totally, but design the back of the car/van so that driver can see better in all directions. (I had to add a bunch of mirrors to my van. Maybe just make bigger, better mirrors standard).
3 ACTUAL SEATS THAT ACTUALLY FIT 3 NORMAL CARSEATS across.

More airbags. Between the front seats, yes! Anywhere they can put them, I want them. Side in ALL spots. Side-curtain, of course, too. (But I want off switches or CLEAR instructions for anything that would be unsafe with a childseat).

I don't care about cupholders, fancy features or anything that's not safety-related. Please step up the SAFETY and stop advertising what the trim looks like inside, etc., or how super the radio is. Few car commercials speak to me or offer me what I'm interested in. JUST SAFETY. Basically, anything that will make it easier to put in a carseat, I want.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Clearly stated higher LATCH limits. LATCH to 100 lbs should cover not only all car seats currently in use, but also anything that is likely to come out in the next several years.

LATCH in the center position (all three would be nice, but it would be most useful in the center).

Color-coded or symbol-coded LATCH buttons to show pairs (like blue buttons on the right, yellow buttons in the center, for example).

Actually design the back seat so that three reasonably normal car seats have a chance of fitting. Not all families with 3 young children can afford 3 Radians (or even 1!).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC