If the Bundle me isnt safe then.....

ADS

mamom

its kinda like cigarettes. not good, but many people like them. And someone makes a profit. (although they are good for strollers like PP said)

jnamommy

Yep, just like everyone else said. Lots of products on the market are not safe or recommended, but they make money.

And the bundle me is awesome in strollers. :D

Baylor

It is irritating isn't it? I was going through some old pictures and found a lot with crappy after market things. I did not know any better. I figured if they sold them, they must be okay.. Why would they sell anything dangerous?

Now I know better and I can only be thankful I never had a crash while using them.

lovemybabybug

Baylor said:
It is irritating isn't it? I was going through some old pictures and found a lot with crappy after market things. I did not know any better. I figured if they sold them, they must be okay.. Why would they sell anything dangerous?

Now I know better and I can only be thankful I never had a crash while using them.

Yeah, what she said. I used it with my DD, I thought it was the greatest thing ever, until I found this forum. Then I moved it to the stroller and it works super great.

Pixels

Legal to sell.

Perfectly fine in the stroller.

Not legal to use in a carseat. Combine a proper use clause with the warning in the manual not to use accessories, and it is actually illegal to use the BM in a carseat.

CarSeatPoncho

Probably in reaction to all the "word on the street," JJ Cole (the maker of the Bundle Me) now offers a shower cap style infant car seat cover, which I take as a tacit admission of its unsuitability for use in a car seat. And if you'll notice on their website, they might show a Bundle Me in an infant car seat, but that car seat IN NEVER ACTUALLY IN A CAR. WHICH IS EVER ACTUALLY IN MOTION.

Here's a recent post from the Car Seat Poncho blog:

http://carseatponcho.blogspot.com/2011/09/why-is-bundle-me-bad-in-car-seat.html

aetj81

I was going to say "like alcohol, when used in the right place, its ok, used wrong bad things happen!" Sadly i used a bundle me, sigh. I loved that thing too.

Sent from my LS670 using Car-Seat.Org

luckyclov

Because people who don't know any better or don't care when they do know better will buy it...which means...dough in someone's pocket.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
It's entirely possible that they still pass crash tests in one or two models of car seat. But unless the car seat manufacturer tells me that they have tested their specific product with the Bundle Me and approve its use, how would I know whether the product works with MY car seat or not?

Pixels

my question is how can they legally state that it passes fmvs 213? Isn't that called false advertising?

http://jjcolecollections.com/quality-and-safety

What it says is
Although no testing is required, each of our car seat products (bundlemes and body supports) have undergone and passed the FMVSS-213 test. Tests performed on car seats with the products installed found that the car seats complied with the Restraint System Integrity and Occupant Excursion portions of the FMVSS-213 requirements.

They put the BM in one or more car seats and the seat still passed 213. Actually, it doesn't even claim to pass all of 213. It passed the Restraint System Integrity portion (so it didn't make the carseat break in half, no surprise there) and the Occupant Excursion (head excursion) portion. They don't claim to still pass the other injury measures (Head Injury Criterion AKA HIC, chest Gs).

Also, their claim only applies to whichever seat they tried. If they tried it in a Portabout, but you have a Keyfit, then it hasn't been tested at all.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
And to add to what Pixels says, it doesn't say if the seats passed with the same #'s as it does when the manufacturer tested the seat. It's highly likely they don't even know those numbers. So even if it passes the head excursion part, perhaps it's way worse than the seat without the BM in it.

featherhead

I think each carseat manufacturer should make a bunting specifically for their seat. Then it would fit properly, all slots would line up, and it could be crash tested properly. I know Maxi-Cosi has one for their seat. If I had a Mico I would most definitely use their bunting bag.

SeattleRain

I love my Bundle Me, it's fantastic... in my stroller. So I don't have any problem buying it. In the Toddler sized version, they actually show it in the stroller, which I think is better advertising than putting it in the car seat. The truth is that if you live in a cold/wet area and do a lot of outdoor walking, it can be really nice to have a cozy sleeping back to tuck the baby in while you're walking around, so I have no problem with them selling them.

The Infant sized one is shown in a carseat, which I think is more of a problem. I would be okay with it if they marketed it in a stroller, but people took liberties and used them in a car seat because at least the manufacturer wouldn't be endorsing it's use that way. The problem is that I don't know that there's any good way to show a tiny infant in a Bundle Me in a stroller that would fit a tiny infant that way.

My friend actually just bought one for her bassinet piece for her stroller. She's using it as a sleeping bag in the stroller, which I think is a really smart idea. It was really rough getting DS in that fleece suit for walking around.

laccaycol

Thank you everyone lots of good points. one mom on my other board decided to research some more on it :) She is now glad she got the cheap version of the bundle me because the cheap one is just the shower cap style and doesnt go under the baby at all. Hopefully the other moms decided not to use them too.

Oh yeah i did link the car seat poncho to them as well :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC