Radian Cover -wahsing it???

Jewels

Senior Community Member
How would you wash pee out of your Radian cover? The instructions say not to wash or dryclean but to spot clean. How do you "spot" clean pee :confused: Why would you make a carseat cover that you can't wash, that is just plain silly! Any suggestions?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Spray liberally with Bac-out, nature's miracle, or any other enzyme cleaner? You can't wash it??? The mind boggles at such a thought (and plans immediately to ignore it and use my front loader with charlies soap if my cover needs washing, lol)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Use the Hand wash cycle on the machine and pray there is no fading... fading happened to a friend of mine, but I think she just used the regular cycle.

If it fades, call and complain that you can't wash the cover because it gets ruined? They sent said friend a new cover after the machine wash incident.

Call SKJP and ask them exactly how they would get pee out of the cover. I seem to recall a thread about this... but it involved dog/cat pee, yuck!

Loves2sing

I hope I never have this problem!! Jenna has peed all over her MA MANY MANY times. And the problem with pee is that the spot is EVERYWHERE! I think I would remove the cover and spot clean by throwing it in my frontloader. Put it on the handwash cycle in cold water, and very little detergent. Then lay flat to dry, and put it back on the seat while it is still a little damp so that it can be stretched a little to fit. This shouldn't be a safety issue as it is only a cover, but I would be willing to stretch the rules on this one, as I don't want my dd to be sitting in urine. KWIM?:duck:

LuvMyGirls

There have been several comments lately on not being able to wash the Radian covers and everyone seems to react as if this is the only cover you can't throw in the washing machine. It's not! The Marathon manual states "DO NOT: Bleach, machine wash, machine dry or iron." It says to "HAND WASH, using cold water and mild soap" and "LINE DRY, to prevent cover from shrinking." The Radian manual says to "Hand wash only" and "Line dry to prevent shrinking." At least you can use warm water to hand wash the Radian. How effective is cold water at removing urine stains?

Jewels

Senior Community Member
There have been several comments lately on not being able to wash the Radian covers and everyone seems to react as if this is the only cover you can't throw in the washing machine. It's not! The Marathon manual states "DO NOT: Bleach, machine wash, machine dry or iron." It says to "HAND WASH, using cold water and mild soap" and "LINE DRY, to prevent cover from shrinking." The Radian manual says to "Hand wash only" and "Line dry to prevent shrinking." At least you can use warm water to hand wash the Radian. How effective is cold water at removing urine stains?

This isn't my seat. I don't have the manual for the Radian. It is my friend's seat and her little girl had an accident in the seat. My friend asked me how she was to clean it because her manual said she was only to "spot" clean it. So I am asking this question based on what she has told me.

skipspin

Her's what I did:
I filled up my washing maching on the gentle cycle with cold water and detergent. (Charlies or Woolite Dark) Then, after it was full I let it run for a few minutes open and watched it. Then, I hand scrubbed the part that was extra messy. I watched it spin for a few minutes, then I hung it on a hangar to dry in my bathtub. Looks just like new! So, basically I hand washed it in my washing machine ;-)

tjham

My USA manual doesn't say "spot clean", it says "hand wash only". I would basically do what Joy said! :thumbsup:

I used that method with warm water on my Marathon covers and they came out fine.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

Well, Hand wash is a lot better than 'spot clean only'! If it were spot clean only (as we've established it's not, thank goodness), THAT would be absolutely horrible, that's why we're railing :)

arly1983

I threw my radian cover in the washer on handwash cycle with All F & C, ditto with the Britax. Hang Dry. Never had any problems (well I did with getting the crotch strap off of the radan and I lost one of the plastic pegs that held the seat cover on)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Ok I called and they told me as long as my "gentle" cycle was indeed gentle I could use that and if it had a "hand" wash cycle that would be even better. The reason for the hand wash is because the agitar can pull the backing off the cover.

supercrunch

I just tossed one of our Radian covers in the wash on the hand wash cycle with a dab of all free&clear. This is the 3rd time it has been washed, and it has never been a problem.

It was sitting in the living room floor since our car is in the shop, and a boquet of flowers dropped some polleny thingies on it, so it had some yellow spots. They better come out or I am going to be grumpy, lol.

LuvMyGirls

Well, Hand wash is a lot better than 'spot clean only'! If it were spot clean only (as we've established it's not, thank goodness), THAT would be absolutely horrible, that's why we're railing :)
That makes more sense. I *think* most seat covers probably tell you to hand wash. Yes, I have machine washed several without problems. A friend washed a carrier cover a couple of years ago and the thing faded and looked dirtier afterwards.

I just washed both of my covers last week. We had a pee accident in the Coastal one, and I decided that I didn't like the "new" smell of the Granite one, so into the wash they went. Machine wash, gentle (not hand-wash) cycle, a small portion of Arm & Hammer Free. It was warm enough to air dry them out on the front porch, but I did throw them in the dryer for a few min. to soften them up afterwards, air dry setting for maybe 10-15 min.

I wonder if this totally removes the fire retardancy? Either way, it's done now and there certainly wasn't any actual damage to the covers. And the pee came out well (it was still fresh though).

Not recommending that everyone do this, obviously, but there's one person's experience for ya. ;)

easterbun

I just washed one of our radian covers last week in my front loader using the hand wash cycle... I tossed it in with a BV cover (washed that one since it's going to be stored for a while - wanted to get any yuckies out first), and it came out just fine... I did wash it on cold, because "warm" in my washer is really bordering on what I'd consider to be "hot".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC