SN seat for nearly 4 yr old

veggiegirl228

A lady on FB may need a SN seat for her almost 4 yr (next month) and 50 lbs child. Something for extra support for his trunk. Any ideas I can give her?

ADS

veggiegirl228

He's not in a SN seat currently. But he's riding in Maestro (booster mode) and Cosco HB Combo seat (bought it up that he's past the weight). She thinks that Medicaid will cover or help cover most of the cost of getting a seat. Not sure of the issues the child has just basing on what she has said thus far.

Angela

I would actually suggest a Frontier. If he's sitting okay in a Maestro, that should work well and keep him harnessed for quite a while still. Once that seat is outgrown, if he still needs a Special Needs seat, go for it then. Typically insurance will only pay for one SN seat.

T4K

Angela said:
I would actually suggest a Frontier. If he's sitting okay in a Maestro, that should work well and keep him harnessed for quite a while still. Once that seat is outgrown, if he still needs a Special Needs seat, go for it then. Typically insurance will only pay for one SN seat.

This was my suggestion too.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Says doesn't have the money for the Britax seat. Would a GN be another option?

Sure, however it isn't as tall and sometimes the Graco contributes to head slump. W/o seeing or knowing more about the child's needs, it's hard to tell. The Frontier is recommended because it is the tallest harnessed seat, so the extra cost probably purcahses another year or two of use in the harness.

FWIW, I know several families that requested help from family members to purchase a more expensive CR (a Regent) and later a SN bike trailer (VERY COOL:cool: http://www.wicycle.com/special_needs_large_bicycle_trailer.php) for their child with special needs. It took the place of a birthday/Christmas gift for a child that doesn't "want" things. The relatives were more than happy to chip in for something they knew the child needed, would keep them safe, and in the case of the bike trailer, allowed the family to particpate in activities together.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The 86-Y is also an option, but I do think that asking relatives for the Frontier 85 as a gift is an excellent idea. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC