Lesser of the two evils

ahgirls

Title says it all!

DH's car will be getting some work done at the local high school. The car will be out anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks. It all depends on the students that are there this year. This leaves us his truck & my van. I can't drive his truck as its manual. :eek: Also I really don't even like riding in it, its PINK. It is his work truck. The truck is a 92' very very basic Toyota pick up. No power anything including steering.

If DH would have to transport DD2. What would be better a RSTV, nauti or a hbb TB? I don't own a hbb yet. I was looking at getting a TB to start booster training her. She as rode in a booster once and did well. She is very much a little rule follower as long as she isn't having a meltdown. No, I don't plan on moving her soon but want that comfort of knowing, she could handle a booster in an emergency situation. DD will be 5 yrs old in Nov and is 46" tall and 43-45 lbs, she is not eating again. I don't know if he could install the nauti nor if it will fit on the seat all the way. He has tried to install it in his Subaru but doesn't always have good luck. I really don't like the thought of her in the RSTV with no SIP protection.

Help, WWYD? Also people here drive like idiots.

ADS

Ninetales

How often would he have to be transporting her? If she can sit properly for the whole trip I don't see a problem with an HBB at her age and size.

I'm assuming there's no airbag on the passenger side but if there is make sure the seat is as far back as possible.

ahgirls

Definitely no air bag in this truck!

It has 1 bench seat with 2 shoulder belts & lap only in the center. It would only be 1-2 times a week if that. I just don't want something to come up & no way to transport her.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
If the Nauti fits properly on the seat, then you could use that in high back booster mode to save some money. I would be fine with a typical child using a booster at that age and size.

Susan

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Didn't they change the 100% rule with the Nauti? I would use that. If you just lived closed :whistle:

Last edited:

hrice

Judi said:
Didn't they change the 100% rule with the Nauti? I would use that. It you just lived closed :whistle:

Yep. 80% in harness mode but it's 100% in booster mode.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
We have that truck! Well, ours is a '93. But it's basically the same truck.

You need to learn how to drive a manual, Mama. ;)

Anyway, a booster would be easier than most car seats since it doesn't have locking belts. Does your Nauti have lock-offs?

ahgirls

Brigala said:
We have that truck! Well, ours is a '93. But it's basically the same truck.

You need to learn how to drive a manual, Mama. ;)

Does your Nauti have lock-offs?

No lock offs on the nauti. I know that poor truck is never going to die. If for no other reason then color.

I have had 5 different people try to teach me. Lets just say my sister & dh aren't the best people to teach. The best was my neighbor after she had been drinking. No she wasn't driving but had the best patients.

Our car's a manual too. :eek: I really need to learn.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Well, your choice then is between a locking clip and a booster. I'd probably use a booster in the truck.

My dad required that we learn to drive on a stick shift. I'm also requiring that my boys learn to drive in the pickup truck because it's the only stick shift we have. It's a lot harder after you've been driving an automatic for years.

An amusing story for you, which doesn't really directly relate to you, but just has to do with stick shifts: My sister always had trouble managing the stick shift and traffic at the same time. My dad's response was that if she couldn't handle paying attention to the operation of the car and the realities of driving at the same time, she didn't belong on the road. She took a driver's ed course and did just fine in an automatic, but still couldn't master the stick shift on the road (she did fine with the operation of the car in closed-course type areas but would take her eyes off the road to shift and nearly hit a pedestrian more than once). My dad wouldn't let her take her driver's test in an automatic. She is over 40 years old now and still doesn't have a driver's license. And I can honestly say the roads are a safer place because my sister rides the bus.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC